PDA

View Full Version : Spelling Checker

Leslie & Nick
04-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Do we still have the spelling checker available on this board? I know it used to be accessible here. If so, how do you make it work now?

Leslie & Nick
04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
QUOTE]

I'm really a good speller, really!! :) :)

It's just that my fingers do not keep up with my brain, and I wind up transposing letters all over the place! That spelling checker was a handy tool.

cali camping
04-30-2007, 02:24 PM
In the area immediately above the box you compose your message in, you will see the letters "ABC" with a check-mark directly below it. Clicking on that "button" will start the spell checker feature.

Leslie & Nick
04-30-2007, 02:59 PM
In the area immediately above the box you compose your message in, you will see the letters "ABC" with a check-mark directly below it. Clicking on that "button" will start the spell checker feature.

Thanks CC! I see the spell checker now. Never paid much attention to all those little icons.

Leon: Spell check icon is tiny, but it's there. Take another look. :)

Nick

B_and_D
04-30-2007, 03:16 PM
It's way over on the right side.....I didn't see it at first either.

lnussbau
04-30-2007, 03:45 PM
I'd never noticed that icon either, but then Firefox has its own, which underlines a misspelled word in red, then allows replacement, etc. with a rightclick on the word (yes rightclick is underlined in both places).

I just tried the icon, and it added Firefox to the misspelled list -- works well. Thanks for the tip.

Leslie & Nick
04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Leon, Can you see this "screenshot"? Spell check icon is circled in red. Double click on image to make it larger.

Nick

Freedom
04-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Leon, Instead of the "Post Reply" at the top of the page, try the "Quick reply to this message" in the lower right hand corner of each message. Then look in the upper right corner of the message box. If it's not there, better get a hold of Chris. If you're using Internet Explorer, you can download a free spell checker that will work on anything you want to highlight - it's called ieSpell - doesn't work with Mozilla, but as somebody said, Mozilla checks spelling as you type. I use Mozilla on my laptop and IE on the desktop. Download here: http://www.iespell.com/
Icon looks sort of like this:

Bill
04-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Folks, it seems to depend on which editor you have selected. If you work in plain text, as I do, there is no spell checker.

Here is the discussion we had in January. Leon, does this help you?

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33802 Scroll down to post #32 if you need to.

Bill

countrygirl
04-30-2007, 06:56 PM

Thanks I need this info...I read some of my posts later....and wonder...how I goofed it up so badly!?!

PopBeavers
04-30-2007, 07:01 PM
I have to scroll sideways to the right to se it because the screen definition is too wide to fit on my screen, even though my screen resolution is set to 1024x768.

Before Chris moved the board to a different provider, which I believe also resulted in a new version of the bulletin software, it was visible.

I don't want to beat up on Chris, because I don't think it is his fault. The person that designed the screen has made some poor assumptions about users.

dlkcub
04-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I gave up on using the spell check after the change. I have the "ABC" ICON if I use "Quick Reply" but it doesn't work. If I click it I just get a sound but nothing happens. If I use the "Post Reply" the spell check ICON is not there. I have the same tool bar as the screenshot that Nick posted except on the first line I do not have anything after the "Redo" icon. I've tried using all three editors and with none of them does the spell check feature work.

Dave

MarknMaqhi
05-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I agree with a previous poster about the Firefox browser. I have been using it almost exclusively since beta days and it now has a built in spell checker that works for any website... any post. Very cool.

Still, vBulletin is awesome forum/site software with many cool modules... my gamers forum has been using it since our phbb site was hacked out of existence.

Good job on the site! Very enjoyable.

Freedom
05-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Mozilla Foxfire is FREE and it doesn't have all the hangups that Internet Explorer does. It runs twice as fast as IE on my computer and I've never had it "freeze" like IE is prone to do. It's nice to have a active spell checker, too. If a word is underlined it is probably spelled wrong and can be fixed by simply right clicking on it and choosing the correct word.