PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Leak

Chris_Bauer
04-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Just returning from our maiden voyage I have a few "bugs" to work out of the 1999 3326 we just bought.  I hope you guys can help.

The toilet works great.  However, when I go to dump the toilet, there is about a cup of liquid (yuk) sitting in the drain when I remove the cap. It is blue so I know it is from the toilet.  Is a seal bad on the inside release valve?   :-/  Can that be easily changed by a person with two left feet and two left hands???

Sinclue
04-24-2003, 02:24 PM
First thing is to make sure both outside valves are closing completely. Sometimes "things" can get compacted into the valves keeping them from closing and sealing properly. Sometime a jet of water will do the job, but often a stiff brush (like a toilet brush) will do the job of cleaning out the valves. Using the hose to rinse out the drain tubes and valves after dumping is also a good idea.  
After cleaning close the two valves and put the cap on. Leave the one at the base of the toilet open and run some clean water into the toilet.  Then go out and check. (Don't forget the water coming out won't exactly be "clean" :P   If your leaks aren't gone then look at the assemblies and see how confident you feel about replacing them.  Without looking at them I can't really recall, but have had to replace the valves on other trailers and it was pretty much unbolt/bolt type of replacement.  No glueing, cutting, etc.
Hope this works!
jim

Bill
04-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Well, I have never found a CUP of yuk there, but there always seems to be a few drops at least.  I finally decided to buy a box of disposable latex gloves (COUGH!), and I wear them when dealing with this area of sanitation.  Gloves seem to cost 10 cents apiece (that's 20 cents per use unless you are really good at one-handed sewer ops), which I decided was reasonable considering the alternative.  Seems like the easy way out.  Of course, if there is so much leakage that you are fouling the campground, you might want to go further ...

Bill

Chris_Bauer
04-26-2003, 12:43 AM
The gloves are a wise thing. I always keep some disposables that I purchased at the Dollar (100 for a dollar)  store in the car and in the TM.  Handling the sewage hose et al can be pretty unsanitary.  

Twice I have offered gloves to a NewBee when I saw them working the sewage without protection.  

Happytrails
04-26-2003, 10:47 AM
I had the same problem with mine, my dad had an extra valve laying around and gave it to me. I don't think they cost very much. It was an easy install as well.....just 4 screws. Be sure to use the new gasket, haven't have a problem since!

Happytrails..........

Chris_Bauer
04-27-2003, 10:13 AM
I will be replacing the valve on our next trip to the Rio Grande Valley. Thanks everyone for the advice.  I still say, "YUK".

Chris