PDA

View Full Version : Skyline Drive

justpeachee
03-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Has anyone ever traveled along Skyline Drive (Virginia) with their TM? I know the Shenandoah Park official website says that traveling with a trailer is allowed, I was just wondering if anyone has actually done the drive and how they found it. Thanks!

kempert
03-21-2007, 12:38 PM
You'll really enjoy Skyline Drive if you're not in a hurry. The speed limit is 35 mph with lots of turnouts with good views. It's easy to tow your TM on it unless you're underpowered since there are a few good grades to climb. Be sure to check on which campgrounds are open as they've had to cut back due to budget restraints. Of course, they are busiest on weekends, particularly when the dogwoods and other plants are in full bloom. Also, traffic can get real bad on fall weekends when the leaves are changing. You'll not see many people on just about any week day. They are a number of nice hikes that you can take.

mtnguy
03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
I am fortunate to live about 15 miles from the Swift Run entrance to SNP. I have camped in a pop-up at Lewis Mountain, Big Meadows, and Loft Mountain over the last several years. I hope to do the maiden voyage in my TM to Big Meadows this weekend.....the 1st weekend that it is open this year. Most of the camping there has been great, although sometimes the "college" campers will be a little loud at nite. All sites are primitive, but with a picnic table, fire pit w/grate, and plenty of room between the neighbors.

You can not beat the scenery, wildlife, and flora on the Drive. I used to hike some on the AT, and still bike regularly on the Drive. For the most part, you are not allowed to bike on anything other than pavement.

Like kempart stated , you don't want to be in a hurry. The road is a well maintained 2 lane with lines, but it is hilly and windy. The road will allow faster travel than the 35 mph speed limit (but the rangers don't like it), but I just drive the speed limit or slower to absorb as much scenery as possible.

For camping on the Drive, check out:
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

mtnguy

justpeachee
03-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for your replies! It sounds like a beautiful scenic drive. Can't wait to see it!

mtnguy
03-26-2007, 08:17 AM
justpeachee:

In my last reply, it slipped my mind to mention 1 important thing about the current conditions on the Drive. There was an ice storm the day after Thanksgiving (last year) that damaged many of the trees, especially in the Southern & Central Districts(Afton Mt. to Thorton Gap). You now see bare wood on many trees where the limbs broke off, and the ground is scattered with those limbs. The NPS did not get the Southern District entirely open to traffic until just several weeks ago. I understant that parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway are still closed. Some of the hiking trails are still closed. Although I have seen this happen before and Mother Natures abililty to heal itself after a couple of years, the view of the woods is not at its best. Once things "green up" it will look much better.

All of this said, my wife and I camped at Big Meadows this weekend and had geat time even with a little rain and foggy conditions. Enjoyed the view of the Shenandoah valley from some of the rock outcroppings on the AT when the weather broke. Saw plenty of deer, and a gobbler crossed the road in front of me on the way to the campsite. Part of Big Meadows campground is still closed while being cleared of tree limbs, but it looks like they are close to getting it cleaned up. 1 big advantage to early campers......there is no lack of firewood close to the campsites!!!!

mtnguy

rjsmalley
03-26-2007, 10:22 AM
We have done this drive several times (but not all that recently), w&w/o camper in tow. It is spectacular to say the least, but be willing to spend the time driving very slowly with few hop-off points to get some needs met along the way. There are many patrol cars which keep an eye on the speed. The only problem with the camper in high season was with space at pull offs. Many folks want to see the same views you do, so space for TV and RV was limited in spots

Enjoy.

Ray

kempert
03-26-2007, 12:34 PM
The last time that I was on the Skyline Drive, I was passed by a number of motorcycles that were obviously speeding. A Park Ranger told me several years ago that motorcyclists (particularly the ones on "crotch rockets") like to see how fast they can go through the turns. I was also passed (more than once on blind turns) by several "packs" of Corvettes. I guess that's why the PRs patrol so much. For what it's worth - It seemed all of the speeders were heading south.

BTW - I don't like having a group of vehicles backed up behind me so I pull over whenever I can and there are lot's of places along the SD to do that.

mtnguy
03-26-2007, 01:27 PM
BTW - I don't like having a group of vehicles backed up behind me so I pull over whenever I can and there are lot's of places along the SD to do that.
.[/QUOTE]

Amen on that statement.....I do the same.

justpeachee
03-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks! :D

Glenn in TN
04-06-2007, 03:16 PM
We stayed at Loft Mountain campground a few years ago. We came in from the south so we didn't tow much of Skyline. It took the small portion very well, although at the time we were towing with a Ford Excursion. We didn't know the TM was back there until we stopped at a gas station. It took @ $100 to fill it up when gas was just over $2/gallon.