PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Nova Scotia & Niagara Falls area campgrounds

Bookworm
03-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Can anyone recommend campgrounds in Nova Scotia and also near Niagara Falls? We have the Trailer Life directory but 1st hand reports from forum members would be wonderful.

Are there any particular tips or quirks to Canadian campgrounds/roads we should know about in advance? What about cell phone service - any particular tips on how to best get cell service on a temporary basis?

thanks in advance!

Ken & Barb
:)

wbmiller3
03-18-2007, 08:12 PM
I have good memories of camping in Kejimkujik National Park (30 years ago) and Cape Breton Highlands National Park (20 years ago). Both have spectacular natural settings. But, get some updated info!

kempert
03-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I camped on the American side of the falls a little over 30 years ago. I remember that we stayed in a NY state park that was good and it wasn't far from the falls. As I recall it was on a bluff overlooking one of the Great Lakes (Erie?). There were lots of good places to camp in Nova Scotia, particularly along the coast.

The roads are comparable to roads in the US. One thing that I remember is that some of the main roads were only 2 lanes but there were wide shoulders where slower traffic was expected to go when approached from the rear. I remember this well as on two of our trips we got a cracked windshield while being passed. The roads have probably changed in the past 30+ years.

I road the train across Canada six years ago and my cell phone worked fine when we were near cities. I don't use my phone much but didn't have any real problems while there.

Bookworm
03-19-2007, 07:30 AM
I have good memories of camping in Kejimkujik National Park (30 years ago) and Cape Breton Highlands National Park (20 years ago). Both have spectacular natural settings. But, get some updated info!

Thanks Bill! Since we are hooked on great scenery (as well as history) I think we'll really enjoy this part of the world!

Barbara

Bookworm
03-19-2007, 07:34 AM
I camped on the American side of the falls a little over 30 years ago. I remember that we stayed in a NY state park that was good and it wasn't far from the falls. As I recall it was on a bluff overlooking one of the Great Lakes (Erie?). There were lots of good places to camp in Nova Scotia, particularly along the coast.

The roads are comparable to roads in the US. One thing that I remember is that some of the main roads were only 2 lanes but there were wide shoulders where slower traffic was expected to go when approached from the rear. I remember this well as on two of our trips we got a cracked windshield while being passed. The roads have probably changed in the past 30+ years.

I road the train across Canada six years ago and my cell phone worked fine when we were near cities. I don't use my phone much but didn't have any real problems while there.

Hi Kempert - about the cell service.... Were you on an American calling plan or using a Canadian one? Apart from wandering up into the Nova Scotia province, we will be pretty close to the US border during our Canadian stay and really want the service for 911 purposes mainly.

Its sounds like roadways in Canada are similar to most Texas highways with the "pullover" philosophy.

thanks for the info.
Barbara

kempert
03-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Check the plan that you use. At the time of my train trip I had the cheapest plan that I could find and had never thought about going to Canada. Without doing anything special, my phone worked OK in Canada. I remember making several calls in Toronto.

The company that I was using was bought out several times and I've long since switched. I now use a Tracfone which seems to get better service than most people on other plans. I'm not a big phone user so it's much cheaper paying by the minute.

You're correct, I was recently in TX and several roads reminded me of the roads in Canada.

Factor
03-19-2007, 12:24 PM
We are going to the Maritimes in June. Go to Google and type in "Tourism Nova Scotia" or whatever Province you are going to. Ask for their booklet and a map and within a week or so you will get it. I did this for Maine, New Brunswick, P.E.I., Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland. I got all the booklets and maps. www.mapquest.com will give you directions to anywhere in North America. There is nothing different about Canada, you will find cell phone and internet in most areas, just check it out beforehand. This will be a 5000 mile trip for us, but, I'm familiar with the Maritimes as I'm orginally from new Brunswick.
John
Former 3023 Owner
2006 Silverado 5.3

Jubolo
03-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Do a Google search,"Campground Owners Association, Nova Scotia"

Should be of great help!!

Fred

Bookworm
03-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Many thanks to all of you for the ideas on travel in the Maritime Provinces. We are really looking forward to it. The scenery I've seen on websites & in articles/books is spectacular.

We'll probably stop at the nearest Walmart once over the border and check out calling cards or temp cell phones ..... I'm just so used to having one handy at all times I feel strange without one, especially if in a strange place. We'll get it all figured out as we go ...

Barbara

Jubolo
03-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Hi,

If you want to tour Halifax, recommend you stay in Dartmouth across the river from Halifax.

They have a nice city owned campground called Shubie Park. Very clean, scenic, and quiet!!

You can drive from Shubie to the Boat Ferry in Dartmouth, park free with "Out of Nova Scotia plates".

Ferry runs about a dollar per person each way to Halifax and return.

I have stayed there twice, about 3 days each time about 5 years ago!!

Fred

Paul_Heuvelhorst
03-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Can anyone recommend campgrounds in Nova Scotia and also near Niagara Falls? We have the Trailer Life directory but 1st hand reports from forum members would be wonderful.
We stayed at Scott's Tent & Trailer Park in Niagra Falls, ON for several days. It is well shaded, as I recall, sometimes crowded (depending on time of year), but clean and reasonably quiet at night. Be aware that the train tracks run on the back side of the park, but I don't recall a horn in the middle of the night, nor is the train moving at high speeds. We didn't find the train to be an issue here.

Remember, Trailer Life is quoting Canadian dollars, which are currently valued at $1.17 or $1.18 to the US dollar.

What about cell phone service - any particular tips on how to best get cell service on a temporary basis?
Call your service provider about a temporary, out of country plan. Verizon, for $10/month, provided temporary service in Canada while we were there. Ours is a nationwide "free long distance, no roaming" plan. Strangely enough, while we had to pay extra while in Canada, when we were in Alaska we didn't have to make any extra arrangements... cell phone worked just as though we were home!

Bookworm
03-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks so much. Will check out that TP as well as contact Verizon.
When in Alaska, we too had excellent cell coverage.

Barbara & Ken

Bookworm
03-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the great idea about staying in Dartmouth then using the ferry over to Halifax! Sounds like the simplest way to go...
Barbara