PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle Question

mrskscoyote
02-28-2007, 06:16 PM
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 crew cab pickup, 4.0 V6 with a transmission cooler. We are interested in the TM 2720SL trailer. Is there anyone that has towed a TM with this type of vehicle ? Most all of the post recommend using a WDH, but the dealer in Grain Valley, Mo. states that this is not needed.

Also can anyone explain to me the controversy regarding the tire/axle height on these TM trailers ? I have read several of the post in the forum to the manufacture about axle height & problems.

I have seen one 2720SL trailer, and will be going to an RV show this weekend in Kansas City, Mo., I really like these trailers, but they seem so "overpriced". Yes they are cheapere than a class C motorhome, but still very expensive for a pop-up trailer.

Thanks

BrianS
02-28-2007, 08:45 PM
I tow my 2720 with a 2000 Ranger 4x4 with auto trans and factory tow package.Works great but I would say get a WDH I towed once (about 250 miles) without and the WDH is a much more enjoyable experience and IMO a lot safer too.

PopBeavers
03-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I will add two personal observations:

1. Someone has already estimated the fully loaded weight of a TM 2720 at 3,8800 pounds. I agree. I loaded mine with everything I own and it was 3380 pounds on the axle. I did not weigh the tongue.

2. I have a larger crew cab than yours. I do not use a WD hitch and was advised by the factory that I do not need one. When I attach the TM the rear bumper sag is almost 3/4 inch. My 1500HD is more of a light weight 2500. I recommend you carefully consider a WD hitch, base on what others have said.

rpcoombs
03-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I tow my 2004 TM 2720 SL with my 2001 Ford F-150 Lightning truck and have found over the past two years traveling cross-country, that, while it will can do it without a WD hitch, there were many occasions when you hit those "bouncing highway" sections when things got a little "white knuckle." For $400 or so, an Equalizer WDH is, to me, money well spent and my tire alignment guru (admired throughout the community as "the best) agrees.

lnussbau
03-01-2007, 03:25 PM
My 2003 Explorer Sport Trac 4WD automatic tows the 2720SL fine, but I'd suggest the WDH. I towed a few times without one, and there was quite a bit of sag -- added the WDH and I'm not only level, but it's a LOT more comfortable on the road.

I DO wind up getting a bit slow in some of the Colorado mountains, though, especially some place like Rabbit Ears Pass.

shunter917
03-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Our first tow vehicle was a Ford Ranger and it did a great job. Do get a WDH. It really adds well to the towing experience.