PDA

View Full Version : General questions

Berkly
02-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Forgive my ignorance, Ive read up and down this board and still have some questions. Purchasing a new 2007 2619 at dealer cost

1. Can you still tow your TM while expanded/open? For instance, If I wanted to switch spots without breaking down, or a run down to the store etc... If so, what are the limitations? How fast is too fast, will it reduce my turning radius?

2. Currently I do quite a bit of winter camping, and would like to travel out to NM or CO in the next month or so to go snowboarding. More than likely temps will drop below freezing. If I keep my heater running above freezing while Im away it should keep my fresh water tanks from freezing right? Will my gray water tank freeze? What can I do to alleviate this problem?

3. For those towing with a Lexus RX 330, which WDH are you using? Satisfied? Is your RX adequate enough to tow or are you looking to upgrade to a more stout vehicle? I was thinking mine will be fine here in the flatlands of Central Oklahoma, but trips up to Colorado's Mountains would be quite a strain.

thanks for your responses everyone, looking forward to picking up my 2619 this week.

Chris M.

Berkly
02-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Anti-freeze...duh, shoulda thought of that.

thanks for your response.

Also does anyone know the load capacity for the beds? how many pounds can it hold?

Berkly
02-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Ha, nothing but people. But If friends are hanging out inside, I want to know how many people can sit up there before theres trouble.

genesc
02-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Anti-freeze...duh, shoulda thought of that.
thanks for your response.

Also does anyone know the load capacity for the beds? how many pounds can it hold?

1200 lbs., according to Bill Hulsey, designer and builder of TrailManor.

grlewis1
02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Here in Florida, the Lexus RX model with a WHD hitch does ok... if you stay in the flatlands, you can manage... any hills and your asking more than that Lexus can handle... Happy TM ing...

Berkly
02-28-2007, 09:53 AM
So reading through all these threads about leaks, what to look for when you drive off with your trailer, etc... Ive read both checklists by Ed and Mike which are quite comprehensive. And good material, thanks for your efforts.

Should the dealer run a quality control over the TM or should i assume the factory sealed all seams correctly. From what Ive been reading, the factory dosent exactly have very good quality assurance in this regard.
Here are a couple things I think I will scope out before i drive away.
1. Check roof for gaps, holes, bubbles, dents, and tell the dealer to seal with caulk.
2. Spray water all over trailer to find any leaks i might have missed.

Once at home I think I will replace all wire nuts with soldered and shrink plastic, or is this overkill. Has anyone had problems related to the wire nuts?

Also seal all holes on the undercarriage with either spray foam or caulk. Seems like a little insurance for a more effecient living space.

I was also thinking about spraying foam insulation on my grey water tank to help with freezing on cold nights. If it gets really cold Ill just add antifreeze. Has anyone insulated their tanks? results?

Thanks for your time

cm

Berkly
02-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Here in Florida, the Lexus RX model with a WHD hitch does ok... if you stay in the flatlands, you can manage... any hills and your asking more than that Lexus can handle... Happy TM ing...

Which WHD are you using?

BrianS
02-28-2007, 12:44 PM
I have an "Equal-i-zer" hitch that I would highly recommend.You should be able to do a search on this Fourm and get alot of info.Also I think the best brake controler IMO is the "Prodigy".Good Luck.

CAmark
02-28-2007, 02:03 PM
To add to Leon's post regarding lug nuts...be sure to check/re-torque per owner manual suggestions when you first get the new TM, I recall every couple hundred miles was suggested. My experience was that, multiple times, there were several nuts not torqued to spec after driving a while. This seemed like a "break-in" or "seating" problem as, ever since, all nuts are at spec when I have checked them.

mark

grlewis1
02-28-2007, 02:45 PM
If you decide to use your Lexus as the TV, then make sure you have a trans cooler installed. The transmission on the lexus will heat up and turn your fluid into a dark goo... As for WHD... I prefer the Equal-i-zer hitch due to the sway bars. You will read from a lot of folks on this forum that this is not neccesary for the TM, but when that 18 wheeler is passing you at 80 mph, you will be riding down the road rock steady... just remember to think safety first ... the equal-i-zer hitch may cost a little more, but you can't put a price tag on the safety this hitch will provide.... Keep reading this forum... you will learn much as I have....

mjlaupp
02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Berkly,

Most of the TMs with the roof seam leaks are from the late 2001 and 2002 model years. The factory was using minimal sealing goop on the seams during that time. The roof was redesigned for 2003, a new sealing procedure was implemented and a new style trim was installed. I have a 2003 model that has never leaked exept for the AC gasket. The gasket was defective (Coleman used the wrong type foam to make the gasket) and was replaced under warrenty.

Mike

fcatwo
03-01-2007, 01:44 PM
It isn't surprising that the roofs sometimes develop leaks considering the flexing they experience when raised and lowered -- especially when done by only one person. We have one of the older units and I found some sealer at an RV dealer that remains flexible after it's applied. It's good to know TM solved that problem.

Berkly
03-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Picked up the new trailer last thursday. Dealer is somewhat new dealing trailers and didnt know much about the TM. Friday night started driving out to Quartz mountain to do some climbing when after about an hour I started smelling a burning metallic smell that made me concerned. I assume it was the transmission burning oil and decided to turn around and limp back home.

THe next day I had a transmission cooler installed and should be good to go this weekend.

WHile on my way back, I noticed the running lights were out, as well as my left taillight. Trailer brakes and turn signals still worked, so I tested the plug and found no power to the taillights. Gonna have to go back in and have them fix a short in the system or something.

Sunday, crawled underneath the beast and started siliconing all the wirenuts, gaps, seams, and connections into the undercarriage. And was surprised by how many gaps were unsealed. Not a big deal though, gave me a little sense of accomplishment.

But I did find two small drip leaks underneath the fresh water tank, coming out of a hole where the copper tubing was entering the bottom, and another about 1 foot back where the wheel well meets the outer shell in front of the axle. I called the factory and ed told me to check all connections from the fill line into the tank, the water trap under the sink and to check all lines under pressure.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Bill
03-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Berkly -

Need a bit more info.

What year/model is your TM?
What year/model is your tow vehicle?

Unsealed "gaps" under the TM are usually not a problem. After all, there are several intentional openings - the intake and exhaust vents for the refrig, and the exhaust vent for the bathroom exhaust, for example. Nothing wrong with sealing around the pipes, of course, if you feel like doing so.

Regarding the drips, Ed is right - you need to explore inside the TM and find the source of the water. Once you find where it is coming from, it is probably a simple matter of tighterning a clamp somewhere.

Thanks

Bill

Berkly
03-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Bill,

2007 2619 tm
2004 Lexus RX 330 tv,

Those gaps were definately not exhaust or intake vents. Im talking about places where it looks like the factory stapled patches of aluminum after connecting the frame etc.... These pieces of aluminum had been stapled on and after driving around, rattled loose to create gaps between the two. Squirted some silicone in the gap, and pressed the patch sheet back up. Hope this helps.

Measured my tongue height at a little over 21". The cd player on the inside is a nice touch, and although it will play mp3 cds, it dosent have an auxillary plug in to connect my ipod or laptop to watch movies. Im thinking of selling it and replacing the unit with one that has the needed plug ins. It would be nice to watch a movie on my laptop and listening to it through the Tm speakers above the bed. Has anyone added speakers to the outside? I may have to search that mod.

Berkly
03-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Argh, just got back from a weekend trip out at quartz mountain. First two night were great, enjoying the trailer camping in luxury. The third night it rained. In the morning, my friend sleeping on the front bunk notified me of a leak coming through the tv antenna. Just a casual drip coming off the crank. Ed from the factory told me to check the rubber boot holding the wires running into the camper. If thats not the problem, a reseal is in order which involves removing the antenna and re-installing it.

Other than that, Im looking into fabricating a screen door. I was thinking of using strip magnets on the sides to hold it up against the door jam, while using velcro on top to hold it, and a weight on the bottom to hold it down.
Also ordered the lift kit from the factory and will have to take it to a rv service center to have it installed. Ed said Im a good candidate for the lift because my stabalizer jacks rub if I pull straight out of my driveway. At an angle it just barely misses.

Also looking for a softer mattress. Its a little too stiff for my taste, but dang that memory foam is expensive!

anyway, as if you wanted to know all that, see ya outdoors

CM in my new TM

CAmark
03-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the TM world...we decided to supplement the TM mattress with Therma-rest air mattresses instead of memory foam. This way we could have some control of the firmness. DW sewed a couple "sleeves" from bed sheets (blue to match the TM) that serve as our sheet and protector for the pad. There are many sizes and thicknesses of these pads...we went with the 1 1/2 inch thick set and cannot leave them on the bed for closing down. They do ride on the sofa of our SL and have enough "flex" that they remain fully inflated and ready to throw onto the bed when it is time. Seven or eight nights into this set up and it is working well for us so far...mark

2kids2dogs-n-us
04-14-2007, 09:36 AM
We have a memory foam topper that we use on our TM mattress which wasn't too expensive. It works pretty well.

We have a 2002 3023, just bought it last year. We've been through several rainy weekends with it, and the only place it leaked was at one of vents that you crank open. We just re-sealed it and it's fine now.

Enjoy your new TM!:)

Shannon
2002 3023 and '99 Ford F250 Superduty