PDA

View Full Version : Dual T-105 batteries on 2619

retro68
02-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Hello,

I just joined this forum and have placed an order for a 2619 which should be here in about 3 weeks. Because I don't yet have the unit, I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but I have 2 T-105 batteries that I used with our pop-up. I would like to use these in the 2619. Any foreseeable problems with mounting these in place of the usual single 12v battery? Tips or tricks I should know about?

I plan do use the camper mostly for dry camping with occasional trips to campsites with hookups.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

:new_newbi

(edited for spelling)

Caver
02-10-2007, 04:26 PM
....I have 2 T-105 batteries that I used with our pop-up. I would like to use these in the 2619. Any foreseeable problems with mounting these in place of the usual single 12v battery? Tips or tricks I should know about?

You'll probably find that the battery case that comes with the TM might not be tall enough for the T-105s. More seriously if you have the swing hitch there might not be enough height for the 6 volt deep discharge batteries. I would give the dealer a call and see if he'll take care of this for you. The batteries/cases are normally installed by the dealer anyway.

Welcome to the forum! I know you'll enjoy your TM. Ray

PopBeavers
02-10-2007, 08:12 PM
I have a 2005 TM 2720 with the swing tongue. I have a pair of group 24 batteries on the front. The front edge of the front shell touches the battery box lid. I don't think there is room for any battery that is taller, unless you modify the battery tray so that the batteries are closer to the ground. Then you may have a problem with ground clearance.

Without the swing away tongue I think that the propane tanks could be mounted a little further forward, which would allow the batteries to also move forward to where there would be a little more height to work with.

I haven't tried modifying it. But I keep looing at it.

retro68
02-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I did not order the swing hitch, so perhaps I will be able to get them to fit. The 105 is the "short" Trojan. Thank goodness I didn't get any of the really tall ones. If they won't fit on the TM, I can always do what I did with the pop-up and make a platform that I can simply place under the hitch and lug the batteries from the TV to the platform each time I setup. I hope to avoid this for obvious back pain reasons ;). With the popup, I made an adaptor cable with Power Poles so that I could hookup to the camper easily and then would place the batteries on a Battery Tender float charger at home when not in use. I didn't mount the batteries on the Popup because I left the camper out on my land and just brought the batteries back and forth. I don't think I will be leaving the nice new TM out there unattended like that.

Of course, I will probably try the stock battery on a weekend outing or two to see how things go before I got through this trouble. The T105s were major overkill for my popup which didn't have a water pump, furnace, etc. But I got them in anticipation of eventually getting a camper which would utilize more AH.

I asked the dealer about getting 2 T105 deep cycle 6v batteries instead of the normal 12v and he just looked at me funny, so I assumed he was not used to doing this kind of upgrade. That led me to think I should just DIY.

Freedom
02-11-2007, 08:46 AM
I have two group 24 batteries mounted on the tongue. I moved the propane tanks back to where the batteries were originally and then built a locking battery tray in front of them, down between the "A" frame rails. The reason for the locking hold down is that I've had trouble with people trying to steal the batteries. On the pop-up I double nutted the hold down, but on the TM I decided it would be better to build a locking bar to keep them in place. I'll see about a picture this afternoon if it's not snowing or raining.