PDA

View Full Version : 2720SD or 2720SL

jmburg
12-09-2006, 10:07 AM
My husband and I are retired and currently camping in a loaded '99 Coleman Niagra. Although we have been very pleased with it, we are hoping to upgrade to a Trailmanor. We had looked at new units and found them out of our price range and were so glad to stumble on your website with its wealth of info. and opportunities to buy previously owned trailers. We have narrowed our preferences to the 2720SD or the 2720SL since we do not need 2 permanent beds and would like some input from those of you who own either of these. Please let us know why you chose, like, or dislike these models. In looking at pictures, it seems that the heater vent on the 2720SL is on the front of the sofa? Is this uncomfortable for someone sitting on the sofa? We appreciate any input you can give us.

jmburg
12-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Thank you for the welcome and the info. It will take us a while to learn to navigate the site and take advantage of all the info. already available. I appreciate your response.

Bill
12-09-2006, 05:15 PM
We bought the 'SL because of the extra living room space when the slider is pulled out. We also like sitting side by side, on a comfy sofa, and looking down the length of the TM. Our TV is also on or above the kitchen counter above the refrig, so we can both watch it, and from a reasonable distance. I'm not sure you can do that comfortably with the 'SD. To each his own, of course.

The question of the furnace "burning someone's legs" has been discussed at great length here. As Leon suggests, you can use the Search tool to find it. But rest assured, it does not happen. My wife sits with her legs in front of the furnace, and loves the warmth in cool weather. Our dog sleeps in front of the furnace, and enjoys having her ears blow in the warm breeze. The furnace churns out A LOT of heat - but it also churns out A LOT of air, so the air is warm, not blistering hot. I think the 2720SL is TM's most popular model. You can be sure that wouldn't be true if it routinely "burned someone's legs".

Bill

idaho-steve
12-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Leon's advice is solid. I really think you can get nearly EVERY question answered here by looking over the archives.

Regarding 2720SD vs 2720SL question it really depends upon your individual situation (traveling solo or do the little grandkids or adult kids occasionally come along) and intended uses (full hook-ups or boondock camping). My wife and I are quite happy with our 2720SL decision since it is usually just the two of us although our small grandkids think turning the couch into a bed is great fun. I like the versatility that the 2720SL offers us in our day to day use.

As far as the heater is concerned I do not find it a problem. The TM is pretty snug and I generally have electrical access when winter camping. Like most folks here, I use a 1500 watt space heater full timeand set the furnace for 55. It only kicks on for a few minutes every couple of hours when the temperature is below 20F. When I am using the TM solo in the winter and boondocking, the heater is quite comfortable. If this is a concern, I'd suggest either a visit to a local dealer and test it yourself.

Best of luck. I really enjoy the utility ofmy trailer and I am definitely giving it a workout this winter in Virginia.

jmburg
12-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks, Steve and Bill, for your helpful comments about your 2720SL. This was our first choice and it is good to know that you are pleased with yours. We appreciate your willingness to help us in our decision making.

Joe and Melissa

cali camping
12-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the forum! We are the new owners of a 2007 2720SD. We spent some time in both the SD and the SL model at the dealer and went with the SD primarily because of the table that is "permanent". We are almost doing something at the table and didn't want to have to manuever around the ones that come out from the side walls. We also eat our meals facing each other and it would have been akward to be on one side of the table sitting in the recliner. We also we're continually tripping over the floor junction (where the slider starts) although I'm sure time would fix that problem. On the SD model the junction starts at the edge of the dining seats so you don't trip on it.
In any case I would try and get to a dealer and get your hands on both of them so you could try them both out...good luck!

Chip & Kat Carter
Vacaville, CA
2007 2720SD everything but the swing hitch and TV
TV Cadillac EXT

jmburg
12-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Thank you for your comments, Chip and Kat. We do not have a dealer locally but are planning a trip to one in the area so we can do exactly what you suggested. We will look at the things you mentioned. We will be buying a used trailer because of cost restraints but agree that there is no better way to decide but to actually be in one. That is why these responses have been so helpful to us. We hope you enjoy your new purchase!
Joe and Melissa

Freedom
12-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Leon - How's the arm? I hope it's back to 100% by now.

Freedom
12-16-2006, 07:26 PM
We're switching to Tricare Prime from FEGHB because it will cost so much less. Not quite eligible for TFL yet. We probably should take this to PM instead of hijacking this thread.

pbuck1
12-17-2006, 10:20 AM
I think if I were considering a 2720SD I would go with a 3023 instead. For only 50 lbs more weight, and with the table up, it has a similar layout as the SD, more sofa space and the bonus of an extra bed, (which I wish I had if only as an area to put things that normally get in the way inside the main cabin, such as the dogs which are always underfoot, or the jackets, shoes and other items which get left around on the sofas and the floor.

-Paul

rjsmalley
05-01-2007, 11:01 AM
We previously had a North Wind by Viking. This unit had a dinette which we used once in the ten years we owned it. For lounging, it was uncomfortable to stretch out with the table right there.
We now have the TM 2027SL model for much the same reasons others have mentioned. We realized that the “children” (22 & 19) were not going to be joining us all that often (yes they do come with us from time to time), but the greater amount of living floor space is much more desirable then another bed which would be empty most times. We can easily stretch out and be very comfortable on the sofa & chair while we watch TV which we have on a small cabinet (not TM 3 draw unit) next to the counter.
As far as the furnace goes, the coldest person gets that seat and loves it.

natur_lover
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Welcome Joe and Melissa,

One factor which influenced our choice was the fact you are limited to a 20 gallon water tank, because (as I understand it) the placement of the tank is under the kitchen sink. (It's any model with the sliding area ... a SL or SD) With a model like the 3023 you have the option of an extra tank. For us, that was a major consideration since we expect to do quite a bit of "un-civilized" camping.

We also liked the configuration of the two couches facing each other ... that seemed like a comfortable arrangement for relaxing, etc.

Good luck on finding your TM!

PopBeavers
05-01-2007, 04:59 PM
FWIW

We us 10 gallons of water per day. It doesn't matter much how many people are with us. Washing dishes for 2 versus 6 pretty much uses the same amount of water.

Since we have the front bunk version of the 2720 we have a 40 gallon water tank. So I have no problems camping for four days without hookups. Anything longer than four days and I need to make special plans.

A 20 gallon tank would barely last from Friday night until I went home Sunday afternoon.

jmburg
05-02-2007, 09:24 PM
We really appreciate the wonderful advice from all of you and the warm welcome to the forum! We are mainly state and national park campers and use sites with water & elec. so water storage is not a major issue for us, but we were unaware of the difference in tank sizes. We found a 2005 2720SL on this site and are going to pick it up this weekend. We decided on this model after reading the responses to this posting. Since it is just the two of us, we like the idea of a living area and your comments as owners reinforced that decision. We have copied the information and checklists compiled by Ed Felker and are so grateful to start out with such helpful information. I know this site will continue to be valuable to us as we enjoy our new purchase! Joe and Melissa

rjsmalley
05-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Joe & Melissa
Congratulations on your soon-to-be purchase. You are going to be very pleased with TM and with the SL model; I am sure. Enjoy life!

natur_lover
05-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm soooo jealous! I finally got the call that our trailer will be at our dealer's on Monday but we can't find time to pick it up until Saturday the 12th! Ughhhh!

Just having a hard time waiting for "Christmas" to get here! :lol: