PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend National Park

Travler
11-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Has anyone been to this Camp Ground Rio Grande Village RV Campground@ Big Bend National Park if so are there full hookups ?

Tuscany Bandit
11-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Here is their site address
http://www.wildernet.com/pages/activity.cfm?actid=TXNPBIBEIO*55907cg

Travler
11-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Thank you:o

fcatwo
11-19-2006, 07:01 PM
We were in Big Bend for a few days several years back and never made it into the hook-up area. As I recall, the hook-up area was constantly full and people had to get in line in the early morn and hope they were there early enough to get a spot as people left at check out time later in the day. We decided to spend out time hiking and enjoying the park rather than waiting in line for half a day with no assurance we'd get in even after waiting -- and each day started the wait over. Things may have changed but their web site doesn't indicate such.

They had plenty of dry camping spots when we were there however. YMMV.

wbmiller3
11-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Yes, Rio Grande Village has full hookups. However it is the least desirably located campground in the national park and extremely hot in the summer. First choice is the Basin, second would be Cottonwood.

Fabulous place, Big Bend. Hope you enjoy it.

fcatwo
11-20-2006, 08:13 PM
As I think back, Big Bend was the sight of a very thought provoking experience for us. We were there in March when it was warm rather than hot but we were inclined to follow their "take-plenty-of-water" rules anyway. We were hiking up one of the longer trails to a mountain top and not knowing how long it would take we carried two canteens of water each plus I had an extra gallon of water in a backpack. It turned out we made it up faster than expected and used only one of our canteens each. Finding no one else at the top who needed water I suggested we pour the extra gallon out rather than carry it all the way back. My wife had a feeling that was the wrong thing to do however so after a little grumbling I started back down with that stupid gallon of water on my back.

We were using a different trail and part way down came upon a small group of kids and their leader standing around a dry spring. the leader had hiked the trail before in the wet season and was expecting to find water there. They had started up with very little water and planned to replenish their supply both on the way up as well as on their way back down. I don't think they were in a life threatening situation but they would have been suffering long before they got back down even if they had started back at that point. Naturally we handed over the extra gallon of water plus about half of the water in our second canteens and my wife enjoyed one of her many opportunities (although she didn't say as much) to know she had been right and I had been wrong -- again.

We've both wondered if we were serving as someone's agent during that episode.

Freedom
11-20-2006, 08:35 PM
There's an old song that says,"If just a cup of water you hold within your hand, then just a cup of water is all that He'll demand!" Kudos to you both!