PDA

View Full Version : Camp site suggestions for SW Virginia??

OESrule
11-15-2006, 06:53 AM
Anyone has been in any really decent campgrounds in Southwest Virginia or Southeast WVa?

rtcassel
11-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Anyone has been in any really decent campgrounds in Southwest Virginia
I have made one-night stops on several occasions at VA state parks Claytor Lake and Hungry Mother. Both are close to I-81. Cost $23 + tax last time for water and electric hookups. Both have lake swimming. They had clean shower rooms.

mobie0309
11-16-2006, 06:56 PM
We just got back last week from the Wildnerness Road campground in Cumberland Gap National Park. It is about as far southwest as you can go in Virginia! They have about 100 sites of which about 40 have electric hookups ($17/night). Needless to say, there were only 6 sites occupied this time of the year. It is wooded and beautiful, very clean and new restrooms and showers. Most of the electric sites have pretty easy and flat back-in access for a TM. Water is available at the entry station, so you will have to come with your tank full or open up and fill up when you get there. A lot of nice trails also.

Virginia Deacon
08-10-2007, 09:29 AM
We just got back from a few days at this Virginia State Park. We stayed in Campground B. Water and electricity are available; no sewage connections. Pads are blacktop and gravel. Shaded and quiet.

My only complaint is that the dump site is about a quarter mile away, at the Welcome Center - if you want to use a portable holding tank and dump gray water, part-way through your stay, it's a hassle. Since the campground host site has sewage connection, there is no reason for the other sites to go without.

Another plus: lots of hiking and biking trails.

Happy Camping! :)