PDA

View Full Version : Size TM my Pathfinder can handle

08-23-2001, 07:04 PM
Hello all,
  I am looking at a couple different TM models for my wife and I. I am interested in the 3124KS for its additional storage space and roominess. I also like the 2720SL. I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder that is rated at 5,000 lbs and 500 lbs tounge weight. Can my truck handle either of these and still have enough capacity leftover for all the additional camping stuff? Also, I am looking at a '98 3124KS supposedly in good shape is $15,900 fair? Thanks in advance.

Joe

08-25-2001, 12:29 AM
When we first purchased our 2720sl, we used a Nissan Quest with a towing capacity of 3500 lbs to travel here in Michigan.  We stayed out of overdrive and had no problems.  Shortly after taking an early retirement, we decided to take an extended trip traveling out west in the mountains.  With that, we opted for more towing capacity and torque and bought a Chevy conversion van 5.7 v8.

You might want to try the following web site for blue book pricing:  http://www2.nadaguides.com/

08-25-2001, 03:16 AM
George,
Thanks for the info. FYI, I called the TM factory yesterday and asked their opinion. They said my truck would have no difficulty towing a 3124 as long as I got a weight distributing hitch.
Joe

08-25-2001, 03:44 AM
Palajoe,

I failed to mention, I also used a weight distribution hitch.  I still use mine, as my conversion van sits so low.

George

08-27-2001, 07:02 AM
I am towing a 3124KS with a 2000 Xterra, which, I believe has the same engine as the Pathfinder, though I am not sure - at any rate they have the same towing capacity. It tows fine, accelleration is a bit slow and more power would be desired, but it works well enough. I DO NOT use a weight distribution hitch - the Xterra has a very strong truck suspension which handles the tounge weight quite well - it does dip a little, but not much. I may get one in the future, but I'm not sure it is necessary.

08-27-2001, 07:45 AM
Darmis,
    Thanks for your input. It is encouraging to know that an Xterra is capable of towing a 3124. Yes, we are both rated at 5,000 lbs, if you have the automatic. I do have a little more power though(240hp/265 lbs torque), but I do think you have the advantage of leaf springs as apposed to coil springs. I have a buddy with an Xterra, he gained another 5 hp with a K&N air filter. Something to think about. Or you could put a supercharger on it!

08-27-2001, 08:48 AM
Palajoe

cool...thanks for the input...I could totally use the extra power. Yours should be able to handle the 3124KS just fine with the 70 extra horsies, but the weight distribution hitch would be more called for with the coil springs. Enjoy your new TrailManor!