PDA

View Full Version : leveling tips

08-27-2001, 03:52 AM
just got back from a great trip to hot springs ark. my new 2720 performed like a champ. only our third time out and of those 3 times, we set up at a level site. this time the site (gravel) was not level and i spent far too much time trying to level. any simple suggestions?

if you have not been to hot springs it is a nice place to visit. we stayed at a koa site that had a 9/9/9.5 rating and it was all of that. in fact we are returning in two weeks to hot springs for its 4th annual jazz fest.

08-27-2001, 05:05 AM
I find it very easy to level my trailer. I picked up a pack of Lynx Levelers at my local camper store, and a couple 1X4s from Lowes. Those and a topedo level is all I use.

When I get backed into my site, I place the topedo level accross the tounge of my trailer on the flat spot behind the coupler hatch. Half-a-bubble equals a 1X4. A hole bubble equals one Lynx Leveler block. I back the trailer up about a foot, place whatever is needed on the ground where the tire was, and pull the trailer back up to where it was in the first place. The topedo level has a magnet on it, so I just let it ride on the tounge of the trailer. Check the level once more, and the trailer is level from side-to-side.

Then, I chock the other wheels, unhook from my truck, and place the level on a frame rail by a propane tank, length-wise to the trailer. I use the tounge jack to level the trailer front-to-back. Once that is done, I drop the jacks on all four corners, sung them all the same against the ground, (I use a cordless drill and set the clutch to a setting of 5 or 6), and check the level one more time.

Piece of cake. It took me longer to type this out, than it takes me to level my trailer.

Hope that helps

Mack

Forgot to mention,,,,, if I need more than one leveling block, I have to step up to what I need. If I stack one block on another, and try to pull up on it, the tire just pushes the blocks. No problem tho, the Lynx Levelers lock together like Legos, so you can build a ramp with them if needed.

08-28-2001, 12:31 PM
We purchased a new 2001 TrailManor 2619 this summer.  To solve the leveling task when we camp I installed four bubble levels one on each side of the TM.  When we pull into the site I simply check the bubble levels and adjust the height of the wheels with shim boards before I unhook from our tow vehicle.  In most cases, a 1 X 6 is sufficient to begin the fine tuning leveling process with the jacks.  Using the four bubble levels and the jacks it is a quick and simple process.  The bubble levels were purchased from WalMart and to install them I used a four foot carpenter level to level the trailer in my driveway.  The level points that I used were the frame and tongue, the floor, the counter top above the refrigerator and the rear bumper.  It took a little time to get everthing just right....but in the long run was well worth the time.  

08-28-2001, 01:16 PM
Paul,

I recently got the following idea for EZ side-to-side leveling: Install level indicators on the cabin for side-to-side and front-to-back using the refrigerator as the standard.
Then, by experimentation, determine how many inches you need to raise the low side for each hash mark on the level indicator. Then when you pull into the site and your indicator is off by a certain number of hash marks you will know how many inches you have to raise the low tire to be `approximately' level. Back up, put that amount of wood or plastic in place, and pull forward onto them. You should be level!
Try it and let us know how you made out.

Dick B
2001 2619