PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Buying

daddystoy
10-14-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm thinking of buying a 1990 M26 that is over all in good shape for a 16 years old. The concern i have is wood rotting in the corners and will need to be repaired . Is this a difficuilt repair?
Any advice would be great.

Magdefrau
10-14-2006, 07:08 PM
I would be shy about taking on such a large project.

Rebuilding cars and boats and campers may not have good pay backs.
To replace panels and trim would cost more than a used one not in need of repairs.

There are a lot of used, in good shape, TMs for sale within a year.

I think those would be cost effective.

smookie
10-14-2006, 08:42 PM
In 1992, we bought a 1988 TM 20. It was the smallest model made and discontinued. It from a dealer and never previously owned. The appliances all had warranties. It seemed like a good deal, though it was slightly shop worn and in need of a thorough cleaning. Well, it was made back when the edges of the roof were made with wood (untreated 2x4s). When the caulking leaked, the foam between the aluminum skins, absorbed the water and the wood rotted. What a disaster. It was very difficult for our dealer to fix and never looked as nice on the outside afterwards. After all, they had to remove the rotted wood and replace it and it was like bad body work with ripples in the outside skin. I would never do that again and our next TM was only 4 years old and made with aluminum, not wood. Not only did the wood rot, but the water soaked foam added a lot of weight to the unit. We kept wondering what that brown dust was, that was landing on the velcro flaps. IMHO, don't buy such an old unit. smookie

pbuck1
10-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Check out this link:
http://members.aol.com/br768/

Also, do a search on "renovation" in this forum, read the stories and try the links within the threads.

-Paul