PDA

View Full Version : more wdh questions

delawareprogrammer
09-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Still in reference to the 1987 TM-23 and my 2002 Kia Sedona Van. The Sedona has a 3.5L 6-cylinder engine. It's tow rating is 3500 lbs.

I've been trying to get prepared for the probable purchase of this trailer next weekend and my main concern at this point is: Is this trailer really light enough for my Tow Vehicle. Upgrading tow vehicle is not an option.

There is much talk of a WDH. The current owner towed it without one, the previous owner used one. I started researching WDH's and another problem surfaced. They seem to be available only for 2" receivers. I have a class II hitch with a 1.25" receiver. The hitch is rated for 3500/300 lbs.

Am I going to need to replace my class II hitch with a class III in order to install a WDH? Seems like I should expect to spend another $500+ for the combination, right?

What are the possible drawbacks of towing with my class II hitch? How do I know whether I need one for sure? For now, we'll be making one long trip (DE to MN) this summer and definitely no more than one trip per year after that. Other than that we'll only be towing locally to our nearby state parks (under 60 miles each way).

Thanks in advance,
Randy in Delaware

Denny_A
09-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Still in reference to the 1987 TM-23 and my 2002 Kia Sedona Van. The Sedona has a 3.5L 6-cylinder engine. It's tow rating is 3500 lbs.

I've been trying to get prepared for the probable purchase of this trailer next weekend and my main concern at this point is: Is this trailer really light enough for my Tow Vehicle. Upgrading tow vehicle is not an option.The Model 23 is the same as today's desigation 2619. Currently it's dry wt. is 2673 lbs. since the models have gained wt. over the years I woulc guess 2650 lbs for circa '87 model. When optional equipment is added, they tend to increase another 250 lbs(+-). so figure around 2900 lbs as the Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW).

There is much talk of a WDH. The current owner towed it without one, the previous owner used one. I started researching WDH's and another problem surfaced. They seem to be available only for 2" receivers. I have a class II hitch with a 1.25" receiver. The hitch is rated for 3500/300 lbs. The tongue weight from current spaecs is 350 lbs(@ 2763 lbs). That represents about 13.1% of the total weight. If the trailer is loaded to 3500 lbs, and the samme % is maintaned for the tongue, it will exert 460 lbs of down force on the hitch ball. A Class II hitch will not work.

Am I going to need to replace my class II hitch with a class III in order to install a WDH? Seems like I should expect to spend another $500+ for the combination, right?The TrailManor does not require sway control. A WDH with 750 lb rated "spring bars" will work just fine9for me). Here's an inexpensive, and reliable WDH carried by Moore TRuck:

http://www.mooretruckaccessories.com/mooretruckaccessories/Weight_Distribution.html

Use the drop down list and see 750 lb Standard Adjustable. You could get by with the 500 lb adjustable too, as long as the tongue weigth is within the lower limit. TrailManors track best with 12% or more of the total weigth on the tongue (per the TM design engineer, Mike).

What are the possible drawbacks of towing with my class II hitch? How do I know whether I need one for sure? ......snip....
Thanks in advance,
Randy in DelawareYou won't be able to carry the load for long. It'll cost more for the repairs than to do the right thing. Buy a Class III Hitch, a proper WDH and a decent brake controller (Tekonsha Prodigy is the best). Best price I've seen (100$) is here:

http://rvwholesalers.com/catalog/home.php?OVRAW=tekonsha&OVKEY=tekonsha&OVMTC=standard

HTH:)

Denny_A