PDA

View Full Version : Axle Upgrade on new 2720SL?

Keith Wire
09-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi all,

I read on the Forum that you can request when ordering a new TM that they "Upgrade the Axle used on the 3023 with 15” wheels".

I'm planning on ordering a new 2720SL in a few weeks and it sounds like a good idea but I was wondering, has anybody actually done this? Were you happy?

Thanks, Keith

Tonopah
09-08-2006, 08:26 PM
My guess is that this will:
1. increase the weight of the 2720 somewhat, and of course also increase its carrying capacity -- so your tow vehicle needs to be matched accordingly.
2. the 2720 may jounce more, shaking things up inside more as you travel.

pbuck1
09-08-2006, 11:40 PM
While a certain peace of mind comes with the rig being somewhat overengineered, there's no evidence on this forum that I can find that indicates a strong reason to go with a larger axle. Certainly no axle failures have been reported. And, despite the math telling us that some extra load margin on those 14" tires might be a good idea, the tire failures reported on this site don't seem to suggest that 14" tires or 2720SLs (the heaviest of the 14" tire models and one of the most popular models overall) are any more prone to blowout than the 15" tires or the other models. Just an observation.
Of course, if you anticipate rougher than normal treatment and heavier than normal loads maybe it's a good idea.

-Paul

camp2canoe
09-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Remember that the upgrade will make your TM a little taller - this is a concern if you store indoors and have, as I do, limited garage door height. - Camp2Canoe

Keith Wire
09-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks all for the comments.

I've been considering this for our new 2720SL and I thought I'd ask if anybody had actually done the upgrade. There was a big thread here a couple of years ago where RockMtnRay was even considering retrofitting his older TM with the new axle and the 15" wheels.

Not sure what I'll do yet. I've yet to hear anybody who actually did the upgrade and what they thought about it.

Keith

live2shopnc
09-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I did it when I ordered mine and like the extra ground Clarence. Several here have said that it will be stiffer and bounce things around and shake things loose. I have not noticed either in mine. I also had the lift kit put on when I ordered. The extra height is not a problem for me.
Ed

Keith Wire
09-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks live2shopnc,

I was going to get the lift kit too.

Couple of questions: 1) Did you reduce the tire pressure because of the lower load, and 2) What is the total height (I assume you have the AC).

Keith

live2shopnc
09-09-2006, 01:12 PM
I run the listed air pressure on the tire. (65pis I think is right). I leave it open in the yard and not sure what the closed height is. I need to wash it from the last trip and if I do this weekend I will measure it closed.
ED

Hondo
09-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Look at the Trailmanor web site under specifications. According to the factory, the 3023 weighs less than 100 pounds more than the heaviest 2720, but with the larger axle and 15 inch tires you get 700 more pounds of weight carrying capacity. It would be logical that 15 inch tires would run cooler if you drive a lot of interstate.

Keith Wire
09-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Hondo,

Yes, the 3023 is only 50 lbs more that the 2720SL and the load capacity is 713 more lbs. I think I'll probably order the upgrade.

I hadn't thought about the tires running cooler. Is that because the 15" tires won't have to make as many revolutions?

Keith

utahsue
09-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Keith:

I have a 2720 SD with the larger axle and 15" rims (plus two lift kits) and am very glad that I did it. But there are things to consider, like the overall height of the TM for storage and the "bounce factor."

I'm too sleepy from my most recent TM trip to discuss it right now, but this has been discussed at great lengths elsewhere on this forum. Check the "Bigger wheels? Heavier axles?" thread in the Towing Rigs section and the "5000 lb axel" thread in the General Discussion section.

I'll see if I can post links to the threads below:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3564&highlight=bigger+wheels

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4261&highlight=bigger+tires

These two threads should answer most of your questions.

Enjoy!

Keith Wire
09-12-2006, 05:27 AM
Thanks Sue. I had seen the second thread, but not the first. Lots of good info in the first.

I assume you do a lot of Boondocking, do you have 20 or 40 gallons of fresh water?

Keith

utahsue
09-12-2006, 04:32 PM
I have the 20-gallon tank because the 40 is not an option in the SD models. We carry several 5-gallon jugs of water in the truck and transfer them to the TM tank using a bilge pump and hoses.

rickst29
09-15-2006, 04:06 AM
2619, no lift kit. (The axle/tire upgrade adds about 2" all by itself). I'm very happy with the results. I do lower tire pressure a bit when loaded light, as Goodyear recommends. That's how I keep it from "bouncing too hard". With the 40 gal water tank, plus 8 gallons of RO-filtered water from home, plus vast amounts of unnecessary stuff, we travel heavy.

I'd do it again, and do recommend it *IF* you have the garage height.