PDA

View Full Version : How much will you travel......

Magdefrau
08-20-2006, 04:48 PM
If I developed a RV Campground and it was: Six miles down a gravel road

A rather narrol and steep road
Very quite

Along a lake finger

flat gravel pads and road

Picnic table, fire ring, grill

Large clean bath house

Would folks seek this camp ground out?

Bill
08-20-2006, 05:32 PM
For an overnight stop, as I am passing through on my way to somewhere else? Probably not, unless the Big Book of Campgrounds gave it a very high rating. On the other hand, I have stayed in 2 or 3 places like this, without problem, in western Pennsylvania on our way from Arizona to Maine. There seemed to be no other choices.

As a destination, for several days? You bet! This sounds great, and the 6 miles of dirt road keeps out the riff-raff.

Bill

Speckul8r
08-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Man, Thats a tough question. It sounds more like some of the NFS camgrounds that I seek out, minus the bath house. I'd probably be more inclined to stop here than a "camp in you neigbor hip pocket" type of campgrounds.

B_and_D
08-20-2006, 09:45 PM
If it was a nice lake with a place to swim and semi-good fishing, and the road wasn't bad enough to shake the TM apart, I'd definitely check it out. Would you have quiet hours? Limited generator use hours? Nothing ruins a beautiful, pristine setting for me than to have to listen to a noisy generator for hours on end. I won't stay anywhere if this is allowed. Neither will my DH; he hates to listen to me complain about it.

We drove to Antelope Lake (CA) a couple of weeks ago to check out the campground. It would have been a beautiful setting, except for (1) there was a recent forest fire that has closed a big portion of the lake shore access, and (2) a big 5th wheel had this huge, noisy generator going that you could hear throughout the entire campground running at 3 pm. It wasn't hot, no need for A/C, so why annoy your neighbors? I already had a light headache from driving up the windy road to the campground, and the generator noise made staying anywhere near there unbearable. I couldn't wait to leave....

A bath house would be extra-added, as most of these remote types of campgrounds don't have that. Would you have a dump-station too?

edweidig
08-21-2006, 10:59 AM
I would seek out a place like that especially if it had shaded close to level spaces, a bathhouse and electricity. I could even do without electric if the weather was cooperating. I would like a fishing hole too in a remote area like that. Lots of conditions it seems, but then I'm getting older and more into the creature comforts.