PDA

View Full Version : Lift Kit installation

10-08-2001, 12:50 PM
I just got a 2 inch lift kit for my TrailManor.
(2) 12" pieces of heavy 2 inch box tubing and 4 bolts.

I have a Dexter torsion bar swing axle.
Do you think that all I have to do is to jack up and block all 4 sides of the frame near the axle and with the front and rear leveling jacks in place, just unbolt the axle????? I would jack it up where the tires would be about 2 1/4" off the ground.
Since the axle is square, you could put a floor jack under it or maybe one at each and have some control of it. There is a 12 inch plate welded to the top of the axle and that bolts to the frame. This "kit" just slips in between.
Another thought was to also remove one bolt at a time and replace with the longer bolts. Then the axle would suddenly drop 2 inches and with a lot of luck, you could remove one bolt at a time and work the inserts in.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated before I get crushed by a falling camper.
Thanks

10-08-2001, 04:24 PM
If it were me, I would use a floor jack or good hydraulic lift jack to raise each end of the axle and then use the corner scissor jacks to stabilize the trailer.  I would do one side at a time and get the trailer as level as possible before I loosened the axle bolts.  I would then loosen the axle bolts one at a time and insert the longer lift kit bolts.  At least this way you could ensure alignment and slide the lift bar in between the axle and trailer floor (one side at a time).  

Probably not as simple as it sounds.  Nothing seems to be.  But I would try it this way IMHO.

10-08-2001, 05:19 PM
I believe I would do like edarnold suggested, but I would take it one step further. Along with the factory jacks, I would place jack stands on the frame as close to the axle mounting points as I could, before I let weight off the axle. I keep thinking of all the boat and camping trailer axles I've seen bent by people jacking too far from the mounting points and/or tires. With that in mind, I picture the distance between the fatory jacks, and all that weight maybe bending the frame itself. Maybe not needed, but better safe than sorry.

As always,,,,,, just my opinion.

Mack

10-22-2001, 01:47 AM
Has anyone added the lift kit to their trailer [as opposed to having it come that way]? Is there any difference in the handling?

I have spoken to my dealer and he will do it for me but he was wondering the same thing I am. I've just dug too many trenches getting into the fields at dog show sites to not at least consider it but I hate to give up any noticable stability. [after having a tire shear off my van on the highway with my TM in tow and other wild times, I appreciate its stability.  ;) ]

All my hopes,

Vicky and the Horde =P~

10-24-2001, 01:33 PM
I broke down and paid a hitch shop to install mine.  Traveling this weekend,  and will let you know if i can tell any difference.  

10-28-2001, 11:07 AM
400 miles and I can't tell a difference in towing.  Can now get in and out of the driveway without any boards.  Also, can now handle a campsite that is even less level. (just carry some 4x4's to put under the jacks.  There could be a big plus.  :) It looks like you may be able to change a tire without removing the wheel well cover and partially opening the trailer.  

10-28-2001, 12:11 PM
John,

Sounds as though you have gained some clearance between the tire and the wheel well with the installation of the lift kit.  This spurs on my curiosity.  Is there adequate room to consider a 15" tire, in order to move up to a D load range and for the improved margin of safety against having a blowout?  

Like Dennis, I found my way to a set of Carlisle bias ply.  Just the idea of being able to change a tire without having to put the trailer up or removing the wheel well skirt sounds good.  Having to put the trailer up on a busy freeway, with little to no shoulder, in order to remove and replace a blown tire is not my idea of a good time.  

As a afterthought, has anyone tried the new tire pressure monitoring devices?  If so, what's the verdict?

Happy Trails,
George

10-28-2001, 01:17 PM
John,

Sorry, I see you already have 15" tires.  I should have looked first.  I have a 2720sl which comes with 14" tires, for which I cannot find a higher load range than C.

Happy Trails,  George

10-29-2001, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback, John! That's great to know in advance. I'll print out this thread and share it with my dealer. Looks like my trailer will be growing *up* this winter!  ;D

All my hopes,

Vicky and the Horde =P~

hal
11-07-2001, 11:20 AM
Please note the measurements and clearances on my 2720. They are after the  lift was installed. This speaks well for having the lift.  These measurements are as accurate as I a crotchety old man could get crawling around under my trailer.