PDA

View Full Version : IN State Parks steep fees for non-residents

kempert
07-27-2006, 09:29 AM
For several years now, I've used Harmonie SP (off of I-64 near the IL border) on my way to and/or from the West. This year it cost $7 to enter the park and $25 for camping for one night. For $32, you get electricity, use of the restrooms (which need an exhaust system, IMHO), and the use of the dump station. BTW. this is the weekend rate which they charge on Thursdays. Most private campgrounds offer more for less money. The nice lady at the entrance station told me that she had had a number of potential campers turn around and head back to I-64. If it hadn't been after 8 pm, I would have done the same. I'll make different arrangements in the future.

Speckul8r
07-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Seems to me, that is about what I paid at Prophets Town in IN. But it was such a nice place that I didn't care. I think more and more SP's are charging entrance fees over and above the camping fees. Same way in MI. Don't remember it being that way a while back. But most of my previous camping has been more in the wild setting even with the old pop-up we had.
Prophetstown was full hookup. Water, Elec, and Sewer. A beautiful place and I'd still highly recommend it.

kempert
07-28-2006, 11:22 AM
It's good to hear that not all of their parks are like what I experienced. I just thought it was rather high for what was offered. I had stayed the previous night at a KOA in MO with a similar setting for less than $27 and it offered a store, laundry, internet connection, and full hook-ups. I guess people in IN must only work a 4 day work week since Thursday is considered a weekend day.

Grouse
07-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Many state parks here in Michigan, Wisconsin and maybe Indiana are so popular that they are booked full by January 2nd of each year. With that kind of popularity, the states would be fools not to charge what the market will bear. Here in Michigan they are still experimenting with the fees, especially for those parks on Lake Michigan.

As a tax payer, I say hurrah! As a camper, bah humbug!!

kempert
07-28-2006, 07:19 PM
I think that they may have priced themselves out of the market at this campground. When I've stayed there in the past, many more sites have been being used. Besides two being used by the hosts, there was only one other being used, besides mine. The state parks in FL seem to use a variable rate based on popularity and I only remember one with charges in this range and it as a RV resort.

Freedom
07-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Washington tried fees for parking in state parks. They have since removed that fee. Maybe when they see how little use their parks get they'll drop the fees.

Magdefrau
07-29-2006, 10:28 AM
I would like to ask folks this question. What is a fair price for a 24 hour stay?
What do you expect at the RV Park?

I expect to pay $35 to $50. I hope to have the following: smooth roads with smooth site pad, picnic table, fire ring. grill, full hook up-water-electric-sewage-cable-phone-wifi. I do not want to be right next to the next RV, say 50ft. Clean rest room. Large swimming pool. Visitor Center, store, helpful attendant. Park like setting, mowed grass, kids play ground, several activities. Safty and security.

Maybe I have consider building a RV Park. The cost is 750k so the pay back would need $45 times 45 sites times 200days. That is most likely not enough.

I am amazed how little these private parks charge. I bet the state parks are beating the private parks for attendants more and more. The private parks need to charge more so that they can offer more than the state parks.

This is interesting to me.

Speckul8r
07-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Speaking for myself, Clean, no matter what aspect of the park you look at. Grounds, shower, head, the works.
Camp sites that are largely screened from each other. Natural settings. I don't care if the pad is dirt, grass, gravel, black top, or cement. (This is what impressed me most about Prophetstown SP, IN)
I'm cheap so $40 is about all I'd ever want to pay unless the place is REALLY spectacular. I'm still a backpacker at heart where less is more.
Cable, phone and Wi-fi are neat but I'm here to get away. Not have technology follow me. I'd rather swim in the Lake, river, ocean than the pool. We make our own fun from what nature provides us. Admittedly, on a long trip, I do take the laptop but my only thought is to dump the pics that I take.
The TM has the shower if I start to get too natural. :D

Maybe this is why I'm a fan of SP's, NP's and NF's camping areas. I don't mind Boondockin' one bit.

Just my opinion. What the wife and I like. My kids have grown up with this and we hope to show the grandkids, also. From being on the water to being in the woods, LIFE'S A BLAST!!!! :)

Paul_Heuvelhorst
07-30-2006, 09:40 PM
What is a fair price for a 24 hour stay? What do you expect at the RV Park?

In California, most private RV parks in scenic places charge less than $30/night, and include 30 & 50 amp electrical, water, sewer, WiFi or internet connection in the office, plus the amenitites of the area. KOA's out west tend to cost about 5-10% more than non-KOA.

There are enough variances in private RV parks that I can budget $25/night and just about hit the overall cost on the head for a 2-3 week vacation.

If we travel to Oregon or Washington, we use the state parks because they offer electric, water and sewer for $20 or less. California parks don't offer hookups, except for 2 rare parks that I know of.

Bill & Lisa
07-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Having camped across country to get to the Jubilee, state parks across the country are currently charging an access or parking fee. KS parks are beautiful and fairly well screened from the adjoining sites, however, the restrooms left a lot to be desired. VA state parks need help--period. Most we stayed at were just for an overnight, and for that price ($30+) we could have had much better facilities at private parks, but without the view.

On consideration, the views we got were worth the admission. After looking at highway and the rear end of other vehicles for 9+ hours a day, sky, trees, and wildlife was a blessing. Having to look at the side of another unit would have been like another day on the road instead of a respite.

MidwestDave
07-31-2006, 01:18 PM
DW and I stayed at Kettle Moraine State park in SE Wisconsin. We were there for two nights and all we got was electricity. No water hook-up, carried it by the bucket! They did have nice restrooms and showers. Plenty of space away from neighbors. Dump station as you leave. This was booked in early May on the net and cost $32.00 for two nights however there was a $10 fee for making the reservation on line!!! I would go back. It was our first nights in our new 2720. I have one of those thick directories but have not used it very much. easier looking on the net!

Midwest Dave:cool:
Just back from "The Antique Road Show" in Milwaukee.:)