PDA

View Full Version : class hitch for TrailMaonor '87' 22

01-03-2002, 11:33 AM
I am looking at an 1987 TrailManor 22. Dealer reccommends that I put on the larger 2" hitch the the 1" on there now if I am going to add antisway bar and load leveler.  I will be pulling it with a 1990 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 six.  Any comments or other things I should be looking at on this trailer?
Jonathan S. Harger

01-03-2002, 12:48 PM
???I'd check with a magazine such as Trailer Life for the tow limits for your vehicle, especially since it's front wheel drive.     http://www.trailerlife.com/towratings/tr_index.cfm

For the 99 model, there is a 3500# limit and requirements for a trailer towing package and Class II equalizer hitch. All TrailManors have a tongue weight of over 300 pounds and I think that means a Class III hitch, which may be what your dealer is discussing. If you are limited to a Class II hitch, that may in itself put a limit on your trailer weight. We towed pop-ups with engines as small as 3.0, but there is no weight comparison between a pop-up and a Trailmanor. My last pop-up only had about 120# tounge weight. You don't need antisway near as much as you need a weight distribution system. TrailManor sets their axle back a little further than that of a pop up camper and although that adds tongue weight, it helps eliminate sway. I have towed a 24' with an Aerostar, 4.0 V6, and the weight distribution kept the rear end from dropping so low. The brochure says our dry weight is 2970#, but with air and other options and the usual junk you add, ours weighed in at 4120# axle weight when we weighed it. We only made 3 trips before we switched to a V-8, but that was something we had planned to do anyway.

arknoah
01-04-2002, 12:13 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering if the Model 22 is the current Model 2619, the smallest of the Trailmanor line.  Even if it is, it has a tongue weight of  330 pounds, which would probably be more than even a tow equipped Voyager should take on.  Therefore, I would suggest that the weight distributing hitch is a must, so long as you can install one on your vehicle.  You may want to follow John's advice and look carefully at the tow limit for your vehicle, taking into account the other weights that would be towed, such as fluids, gear, and people.  At the end, you may find that the Voyager might be strained as your tow vehicle unless you take less gear, etc.  

I hope your research yields you good (and not expensive) results!  Good luck.

F. J. & Ellen

01-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Chrysler mini-vans of that vintage had two tow ratings:  Without factory tow package at 2000# and 150# hitch.  With factory tow package, it's 3500# and #350 hitch MAX.

So you must have the factory tow package AND use a weight distributing hitch to meet the minimum TM requirements.

I have a 1994 Grand Voyager that did NOT have the factory tow package.  It is also equipped with the 3.3l V-6 and the 4 speed Ultradrive automatic.  To get it to factory tow package specs, I added a tranny cooler, full wiring harness, battery isolater, brake controller, additional progressive leaf springs in the back, heavier coil springs in the front, and a Draw-Tite Class III 550# weight equilizing hitch/receiver system.  

We tow a 2000 TM 3023 with this setup.  The van handles the TM very well.  Never had any sway, bounce, jostling, or handling issues of any kind.  The TM tows great!  Even with the van's front wheel drive, the equilizing hitch keeps adequate weight on the front drive wheels.  However, with the 3.3l engine, I would not advise any mountainous driving.  I've pulled this rig about 4000 miles without any problems or failures of any kind, but the horsepower is nearly consumed pulling long grades.  Around here in flat Ohio and the neighboring areas, it works adequately for us.  I would not consider long mountain hauls however.  Need more horses!

Our next vehicle will be chosen with more HP to allow us greater traveling possibilities.

Hope this helps!

Rick S

01-05-2002, 02:01 PM
  Don't forget that the "max hitch weight" should include the weight of your hitch assembly PLUS the tongue weight of your trailer. Not just the tongue weight of the trailer.

just my $0.02 worth

Mack

01-08-2002, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.  Turns out the trailer was a 30-23, but was sold before I checked out advice and priced   out properly equiping the van.  Will keep the ideas in mind.  We plan to pick up a trailmanor some time in the relatively near future.  I will continue reading these pages for background research.
Thaks again,
Jonathan