PDA

View Full Version : Gloucester, VA Camping

Virginia Deacon
07-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Can anyone recommend a family campground near Gloucester?

I understand that New Point Campground is in disrepair, that Gloucester Point Campground is OK. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Bill & Lisa
07-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Bethpage (located in Urbana) has a lot of ammenitites but it is more of an RV parking lot that a campground. If you camp on a slow weekend and have an empty site next to you it is bearable.

Grey's point is also in the same area and owned by the same folks.

Bill

evans27292
07-11-2006, 02:18 PM
try thousand trails,membership campground, go to www.thousand trails .com and sign up for 2 nights and three days of free camping at gloucester. supper nice campground. we will spend 12 days at hersley pa. and 14 days at gloucester in aug. we are thousand trail members.

Virginia Deacon
07-14-2006, 03:30 PM
We had reserved free nights at Thousand Trails, but then decided not to have to put up with a hard-sell pitch for free camping. Besides, we already knew a timeshare wouldn't be right for us.

So, we reserved three nights at Gloucester Point Family Campground instead. No pressure, just peace and quiet during the weekly stay. Caught a few fish, but let them go so they could grow up and let us catch them next time!

We discovered that GPFC is an older, established campground with a lot of permanent folks. There are not a lot of sites available for those of us who stay a few nights. However, the folks there were very nice, the camp store was adequate, the sites were spacious, very nice playground and pool, outstanding restrooms/showers, and they had a security patrol in action all the time we were there. The price was right, too.

We met some other nice folks, while we were there, too. The only problem was finding the place. The route IS clearly marked, if you know what to look for (several small CAMPING signs at intersections along the way).

We will go back to Gloucester Point Family Campground. Made a day trip to Yorktown Victory Center and would like to go to the battlefield, as well as Jamestown and Williamsburg; GPFC makes a good "base of operations."

Happy Camping, All!

Speckul8r
07-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Glad you had a nice trip to my neck of the woods. I was out of town in the "wilds" of WI and the Upper Peninsula of MI when you first posted.

Never thought that either of these 2 places were the best but, from your description, GPFC has gotten better.

Thousand Trails is 5 miles from my home and, I agree, for me a time share is not the ticket. But, it is a nice place. I still prefer State and National parks and Forests.