PDA

View Full Version : Debris in the Flaps

RickNewcomb
02-22-2002, 01:18 AM
In a previous thread there was a discussion about dust and debris getting in the velco flaps. Maybe everybody already knows this but most of the debris that I find in the flaps comes from debris that was on the rear roof or at least this has been my experience. ???

In order to minimize the amount of debris that collects in the flaps, I have found it helpful to sweep the debris off the rear roof.

When I close and lock the rear section, I usually stand on the rear bumper to determine if there is a lot of debris on the roof. If there is, I push in the bed of the front section which is still open. I then stand on the trailer tongue with my head and body inside the open front section and with a broom I sweep the debris on the rear roof toward the back of the trailer as far as I can reach which is about halfway. I then stand on the rear bumper again and with the broom pull the debris toward the back, beyond the point where the rear of the front section seals on the rear section.

I know this is a little more work everytime you close the trailer but I guess you have to decided is it easier to sweep the roof or brush out the dust and debris from the inside.  ;D

2swans
02-22-2002, 02:49 AM
rick, i find your method interesting. i usually close the rear section, then put a medium sized metal ladder on one side near the debris, sweep it, then move to the other side and sweep again. guess i'm "AR", but i then got inside the front section, which had not been closed yet(we have a slide model) and cleaned the dirt off the front edge of the rear section :o. dirt and pine cones and leaves had accumulated for about 4 years when we bought the unit from an elderly gentleman this year. thanks--i'll try your method to see if it's easier!  2swans

02-22-2002, 02:56 AM
  Yes, yes, yes. I agree 100%. I always clean my roof off when I close down.

My trailer has the front slid-out, so I can shut the back, and stand on the kitchen floor to clean the rear roof. To wash it, I scoot on top of the fridge, then over onto the roof. Then I just scoot around on there as needed. If you do this tho, I recomend you make it a point to not put much of your weight on a small area, like your knees or feet. Might dent the roof. Like I mentioned, I keep my weight spread out over my back-side and legs, and just scoot along.

Works for me.

Mack

02-22-2002, 03:12 AM
Guess I am lazy.   When I know I will have access to 110V,  I bring an electric leaf blower which I use to quickly clear the pad of debris before setting up.  Then I use it to blow off the roof of the trailer before closing it up.... just takes a minute.    

arknoah
02-22-2002, 06:51 AM
So far, we've been pretty successful using one of those telescoping brushes that you can attach to hoses to clean the trailer.  I keep it in the rear of our tow vehicle, and have been known to use it to sweep off leaves from the awning, and from the rear roof of the trailer while closing it.  With a small step stool we carry with us (and really long arms) I've been able to keep the top pretty clean as we close the trailer.

F. J. & Ellen

hal
02-22-2002, 08:38 AM
What I would like to know is what is a good way to get snow off the roof (especially the rear section) before putting the roofs down.

Hal

02-24-2002, 09:39 AM
;D Great idea.

02-24-2002, 10:45 AM
I use a squeegee mounted to a long handle.  I use this the clear the roof of debris and water.  I also place a towel over the squeegee to reach up and wipe down the sides of the unit before closing to clear the inevitable moisture, dirt, and bugs.  

I made sure that the squeegee has no exposed metal parts that could harm the aluminum.