PDA

View Full Version : Solar to charge batteries while TM stored

Tonopah
06-18-2006, 08:40 PM
I have a 2720SL on order. There was a solar option (can'r recall if factory or dealer installed but it was $1,000) and I immediately passed on it. I never inquired as to details. Now I am wondering about solar though. Where I live (condo development) RVs are not allowed. I have made arrangements to store the 2720 in a nearby outdoor RV storage facility. The TM will have two deep cycle golf type batteries installed prior to delivery to me. I will dry camp but not likely for more than 3 days I'd guess. Me and my wife only. The fully charged batteries should be fine, I'd guess.
But how do I get them fully charged before each trip? I may have trouble with the "Homeowner Police" if I park the TM next to my condo to charge up with house current. I could always go the generator route and charge up at the storage facility before a trip but that would require sitting there near the running generator for hours. Maybe solar? Will even a small single solar panel mounted on the back shell do the job of charging and maintaining the battery charge (safely) between trips?

B_and_D
06-18-2006, 09:47 PM
If all else fails you could always bring home the batteries and charge them up with a battery charger like one of these:

http://www.batterychargers.com/itemlist.cfm?cid=2

I have one and sometimes use it to charge our extra 12V battery (that we use for the TV/DVD) before trips or if I just want to quickly charge the TM Trojans (we have two 6-volts too, the T-105's).

I think I paid about $70 for ours at the "W" store.

rpcoombs
06-18-2006, 10:43 PM
My solar panels (admittedly overkill with four of them covering the entire rear roof (about $2,000 dealer installed)) keep my two golf cart batteries fully charged all year round. Just one panel would probably surfice for keeping your system charged while in storage. The controller, which comes with the solar system, is very "smart" and will not overcharge the batteries. All I do is make sure the battery electrolite (water) is kept up and that's all there is to it. Solar is the way to go.

Bill
06-19-2006, 08:40 AM
If there is no drain on them, batteries don't self-discharge very fast. So let me ask, how long between trips? If it is only a month or so, and if you disconnected the battery before putting the TM in storage, you don't need to "charge up before a trip". If it is 6 months - well, that's something else. The key is to disconnect the battery (pull the fuse) so as to avoid phantom / parasitic loads. BTW, you can do an Advanced Search on these terms, and learn a lot.

Bill

Tonopah
06-25-2006, 12:31 PM
If I drain the batteries down by say 50% on a trip, and then return the TM to storage, then on the next trip I am going to have a problem as the TV will not charge them up en route. So I have to have a way to charge them while the TM is stored (solar?) or during the last day of a trip while still at the campsite and before I pack up (Honda EU1000i or EU2000i?).
TM will remain in storage (outside and plenty of sun) for weeks between trips and maybe for a few months.
What solar wattage would I need to charge up the batteries and kept them safe while in storage like this? If I go the solar route, the least expensive and least heavy option would be best?

rpcoombs
06-25-2006, 01:20 PM
My solar panels (see post #3 on this thread) keep things charged year round as they are "on" 24/7 (even when towing and in storage). All you have to do is to keep the battery water level up. I don't know what wattage the factory setup puts out (if you find out please let the forum know) but I suspect it would be adequate for storage purposes at least. The main consideration is to let the factory know you at least want the wiring for a solar installation put in when they build the TM (retrofitting the wiring can be done but it's much easier do wire it when it is built). That way you have many options ranging from never installing it or going overboard like I did. Given your situation, I'd go for the full factory package but let them know you might upgrade it later so they put in a heavier gauge of wire.

Tonopah
06-25-2006, 08:20 PM
I think I missed the boat on the factory option of solar as my TM should be here in about a week. Wish I had asked questions earlier! I frankly had not thought out the issue of how to keep batteries charged up before I went ahead and ordered. I figure an EU2000i should do the trick in 2-3 hours and I can do that either at the campsite before packing up or at the storage facility if I need to. Kinda kicking myself though for neglecting to consider solar at time of purchase. Guess I can add later if I want to but as you have pointed out, that would be a more difficult install than one done at the factory as part of the build. Live and learn, I guess.
I will inquire more about the factory option though and I will post here what I find out.
By the way, a big factor in my decision to commit to TM was actually this forum. I spent time here before I decided on a TT and was impressed with this community -- the information available, and especially the tone of all the posts. Uniformly positive and helpful.

tm3023bob
06-25-2006, 10:50 PM
What does the factory installed solar look like? Where is it located, etc.

Tonopah
06-25-2006, 11:27 PM
I don't know. But I will be discussing this with the dealer this week and will post what I find out.

Caver
06-26-2006, 07:49 AM

Caver
06-26-2006, 07:50 AM
I had the factory run the wiring for my 2004 TM. If you search the thread you can see the photos that show how they wired mine. I would like to see a new installation to see what type of changes they have made.

Ray

Tonopah
07-10-2006, 09:00 PM
My 2720SL won't be delivered for about a week. I went to the dealer today (Custom RV, Anaheim, CA) to have the Prodigy brake controller installed in my vehicle and as that was being done, I s/w Matt about solar again. Custom RV installs an 80w panel from a company called Solar Summit. The panel itself I think is made by Sharp. The package comes with a meter, etc. They install a lot of these. My TM will have two 6v deep cycle batteries installed and the dealer says that although the solar only provides 3w charging (I think that's what he said -- a trickle charge), it would be plenty to fill the batteries while the TM is in storage between trips. Most dry camping I might do will probably only last 3-5 days tops. I'm thinking that if I start off with fully charged batteries and am frugal regarding electrical use during a trip, the 2 6v batteries supplemented a little bit by solar on the trip, should be okay. The solar sure would solve the problem of charging the batteries up fully between trips, give the fact that the TM will be in storage in full sun. The solar set up is $900 installed and that is similar to the cost of a honda generator, I think. So, do I go with this solar option or with a Honda EU2000i generator?
BTW: I still don't know what the factory set up might have been as it is too late for me on that option.

Bill
07-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Neil and Susan -

I still don't know what the factory set up might have been as it is too late for me on that option.Although I haven't seen it, other posts on this board have suggested that the factory setup is also a single 80-watt panel.

... the dealer says that although the solar only provides 3w charging (I think that's what he said -- a trickle charge), it would be plenty to fill the batteries while the TM is in storage between trips.I think you and your dealer have had a minor miscommunication here. An 80-watt panel can make the entire 80 watts available for charging the battery if the battery is so far discharged that it needs 80 watts. What your dealer probably meant is that the charge controller (part of the solar package) will cut the charge rate way back - perhaps to as little as 3 watts - as the battery approaches full charge. This is a very good thing - it prevents the solar panel from overcharging the battery.

I am moderately active in both solar power and RV electrics. As a general observation, the solar power industry is MUCH better about charge control than the RV converter industry. Perhaps this is because a household solar power insatllation can easily have $10,000 worth of batteries, so it is really important to treat them well.

Bill

Tonopah
07-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Bill-- my dealer will install a solar kit that includes a single 80 watt Sharp panel as follows:

Sharp 80 Watt modules are designed for nominal 12 Volt operation and have conduit ready junction boxes. This module is a nice module for RVers. Features extremely stout frames, tempered, low reflection glass covers, built-in bypass diodes and 25 year warranty.

Features:

Peak Power 80 Watts
Peak Power 17.1 Volts
Peak Power 4.67 Amps
Weight 21 lbs
Length 47.3
Width 21.2
Depth 1.8

Looks like it will push into my 6 volt deep cycle batteries 4.67 amps under ideal condtions but closer to 3 amps is probably more like it. Although this "system" is half the power of what a lot of solar TM owners use, I think it should solve my primary problem -- which is recharging the batteries between trips (as my TM will be in storage in full sun). It should also assist in extending the use of the batteries to some extent while camping. Not ideal, but okay, I'm thinking. I think I can add another panel later if I want to pay for it.
Accordingly, count me in as an owner who will skip the generator in favor of solar instead. Soon, I'll find out if that was a good decision for me!

pbuck1
07-12-2006, 12:39 PM
I tend to store my TM under a fabric cover not only for the winter but also between trips. Maybe this is more an East Coast thing and not so important in So. Ca.. But it brings to my mind whether the solar panel installation could be such that you could use a modified cover which fits around the panel. This might mean that the panel stands a little clear of the roof all the way around and the anchor points are not right at the edges. Then with the right size hole cut in the fabric and with the help of some elastic at the corners, you might be able to come up with a weatherproof (the solar panel overlaps the cover a bit to stop rain getting underneath the fabric) shelter for the longer layovers while still charging the batteries.
Just a thought.

-Paul

Tonopah
07-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Paul--
Good suggestion.
I see you have a 2720SL. What cover do you use? What manufacturer and specific model number? I've been wondering about getting a cover that would fit properly and would want the right one. Then maybe I'll cut a hole in it!

Bill
07-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Neil and Susan -

Looks like it will push into my 6 volt deep cycle batteries 4.67 amps under ideal condtions but closer to 3 amps is probably more like it.

Aha, 3 amps. Quite different from 3 watts!

In southern California, it will probably do quite a bit better than that for you, especially around noon. It should be a nice system - let us know how it works.

Bill

Tonopah
07-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Boy are you right. "Don't know much about electricity" is my song. I've learned a lot since searching this forum though...whoever posted that long explanation of electricity and wires analogized to water and pipes a couple of years ago (I found it by searching) really helped...