PDA

View Full Version : Heat unit in Air Conditioner

02-25-2002, 02:28 PM
Most of you sound quite handy, however we are not so lucky, so we just took our 1997 3023 to the dealer to have a bunch of stuff fixed up.

While it is there, we are considering adding the heating element to the air conditioner. I guess the part is $40 + about 1/2 hour labor.  Has anyone done this?  When I have hookups, it would be nice to be able to take the chill out of the air without running the noisy furnace.  My husband was concerned that only the bed would get any heat (we have the roof mount unit) so I thought I would post the question here.  Any comments?

Also, we are considering adding the lift. I have seen several threads here. Are they worth it?  We would have to replace the stabalizer jacks as well, as the old ones will not reach if the lift is installed.

Thanks!

hal
02-25-2002, 02:53 PM
Are you aware of the heat output that this device has?  We installed on inside our air conditioner on another trailer and it was practically useless.  The colder it is out doors, the less effective it is.  The "warmed??" air was barely warm. It was too cold to continue to run it.  I would imagine, that it (and the sun) would drive you out of your trailer if you used it in the Arizona desert in July.  Otherwise ours was a big disappointment.  I would recommend that you obtain a "chill chaser" for this purpose.  They are small heaters in metal boxes (with fan) that measure about 8 or so inches square.  They are truely effective.  Be aware though that some campgrounds charge extra if you use any electrical heater or air conditioner.  We stayed in one in which the owner very unpleasantly informed us if we did use one, we would be evicted from the campground.  Turn it on when you first get up and in about ten minutes you will be turning it off.

Hal

hal
02-25-2002, 02:54 PM
ps.  I installed ours and it didn't take any half hour to install.  You just remove the air conditioner cover and plut it in.  Its that easy.

Hal

02-26-2002, 09:37 AM
we have camped all winter and have not used the propane for heating at all. we live in the deep south and have camped mississippi, alabama, flordia and louisiana. there has been some chilly nights and even a few freezing nights and we got by using a black and decker portable (chill buster) electirc heater and a queen size down comforter....pluse lots of  :) to keep warn.

we find the insulation on the tm outstanding and sufice with just the above heater.

Chris_Bauer
02-27-2002, 11:15 PM
We use a ceramic heater and it works extremely well in temps below freezing.  I assume you guys are talking about the roof air.  In the 2720SL I have the cabinet air and am wondering if a heat strip would perform better, and comments?

Also, I am interested in the catalytic heaters.  Would I need to install one in the living area on the side of the fridge and another in the back?  I am thinking about importing my TM to Mexico as the drive back and forth to go camping is too much and we think there are great places here to visit but RV parks with hookups are few and far between.  The propane option would suit us best.   Your advise is appreciated.

hal
02-28-2002, 01:28 AM
Chris,  Have you read about the Heat Buddy( correct name?)  It is smaller than a small sewing machine and portable.  It runs on the tiny bottles of propane and supposedly is safe to use in an enclosed area. it may be able to be hooked up to a large bottle of propane. Other wise there are the propane heaters in which you must provide adequate ventilation.  By the way, the Heat Buddy(?) will not work above 6500 feet.  It seems to have an adequate heat output.  For details see your copy of Trailer Life.  if you have access to electricity, then a ceramic or catalytic heater might be your answer.

Hal

Chris_Bauer
02-28-2002, 11:26 AM
Hal,

Thanks for the information.  This winter has been pretty cold here in Northern Mexico and South Texas and the ceramic heater has come in handy (works great).  The Suburban is good for a quick heat up but is too noisy. Too bad as it really works well, I just can't stand the noise.  I may just remove it and put a cabinet door on the front of the sofa and make it into additional storage.

Here we won't have access to electric hookups much so the propane is a good way to go.  Thanks again.

03-03-2002, 02:23 PM
I know this is drifting off topic, but I also bought a small ceramic heater, mostly to keep the back bed warm since the warm air from the Suburban doesn't seem to circulate back there very well.  I just set the ceramic heater on the counter next to the wardrobe and aim it toward the rear.

Yes, it's been cold enough the couple of times we've been out (Las Vegas early Februbary and last weekend in Tucson) to need this little heater as well as the Suburban.