PDA

View Full Version : Which Trailmanor should I consider?

03-28-2002, 12:14 PM
Howdy all. I'm a newbie to all this so bear with the dumb questions. I own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 Litre in-line 6 cylinder engine. It has the tow package installed and is rated by the manufacturer with a 5,000 lb. max towing capacity. All this info is meant to preface my inquiry. Having reviewed the information available on-line I've determined that the Trailmanor that most appeals to me is the 3023. I like this model because it gives me two permanent beds and a living room. Am I biting off more than I can chew tow wise if I buy that size trailer. Even adding 1,000 lbs. to the estimated dry weight of this model it still weighs in under 4K which leaves me a 20% margin on my rated capacity. Any input from experienced towers is appreciated ;D.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
03-28-2002, 03:39 PM
;D  If the 3023 has all the "goodies" you want, go for it.  We towed our 2619 initially with a Ford Aerostar 4.0L V-6, and all the factory tow goodies.

The primary drawback to a vehicle with a 4.0L engine (or smaller) is that you won't go "roaring" up mountain grades.  ::) The 6-7% grades going from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe usually slowed us to 40-45 mph in 3rd gear.  No bad, but you have to exercise caution when passing big rigs who may be going slower than you, then get back in the right-hand lane until you approach the next one... sometimes a little tedious.

Enjoy your new toy... once you get it!  ;)

03-28-2002, 03:46 PM
Thanks Paul. If you know what was the HP rating on that Ford V-6. Mine turns out 190HP and 215FP of torque.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
03-29-2002, 02:35 PM
??? Sorry, I don't know the HP of the V-6 engine. It was quite "gutsy" for a 6 cyl. engine, but I don't know the spec. We donated the van to our church almost 3 yrs ago when it had 143,000 miles on it and we upgraded to a V-8 (sales of high mileage used vehicles wasn't good in San Jose at that time).

Perhaps there are others with a '92-'96 vintage Ford V-6 that have or could get that info from their owner's manual.

03-30-2002, 12:57 AM
Not to be a wet blanket but you might want to check out the wheelbase of your Jeep. We are spoiled with our Suburban but the longer the wheelbase the less hobby-horse(ing) there will be when towing on our terrible roads (at least in the Mid-west).
Just a thought.

Dick_B

03-30-2002, 02:31 AM
hi we tow our 3023 with a mercedes ml 320.  Its v6 does just fine.  Our 3023 is for sale by the :)

03-30-2002, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the input folks.
Dick_B: I fully understand the concern you mentioned. I recently towed an older 16 ft. traditional travel trailer from Wichita, KS where I'm stationed in the Air Force to Orlando, FL. and it performed well. I had borrowed my parents' equalizing hitch and didn't get any severe oscillation even on US 49 and US 98 in Mississippi which were significantly rough. It's concrete slab construction and you feel every joint. :P I expect that the tongue weight on a TM 3023 may be substantially heavier but would hope that a good equalizer hitch would damp out most of the "hobby horsing". If anyone has info to the contrary I'd appreciate hearing it. My Jeep is as you guessed a short wheelbase vehicle (101").
Milespfp: Thanks for the info on your tow vehicles performance. I think the ML320 is comparable in size and power so that's a positive indicator. Unfortunately your trailer is outside my current budgetary range not to mention the fact that something in hte neighborhood of 2,000 miles separate us.
I'll continue to monitor this thread for further info.

Doom515