PDA

View Full Version : OPD - Overfill Protection Device

03-29-2002, 07:28 AM
In Getting ready to go to Tennessee, to hunt the elusive morel mushroom, I had a horizontal propane tank (on SL Models) that needed to be refilled.  The place I normally have my tanks filled told me that this was the last time I could have these particular tanks filled there.  As of April 1, 2002 propane tanks weighing between #4 and #40 must have the new standard OPD valve installed.  In my estimation another "Fleecing of America", but "anywho".  I asked where I might get these tanks retrofit with an appropriate valve and they weren't aware of anybody locally doing that service.  They guess I would have to buy new tanks.  $@!#*.  I told them I haven't even seen these horizontal tanks for sale.   They hadn't either.  

So I called Jimmy at TrailManor.  He was aware of the issue, but said he had a FAXed copy from Manchester (TMs tank supplier) stating that horizontal tanks were exempt.  Jimmy mentioned, "Exemption #2".  I had already researched the OPD valve on the internet and it had looked to me the design would only work on a tank being used in an upright position.  It's just a float that rises to a horizontal attitude and shuts off filling the tank.  I was given a phone number at Manchester and also one for  McPier Industries (the people who make the OPD valves), but as of yet (Good Friday) I haven't been able to get anyone to answer.  Also, I was told the horizontal tanks are much more expensive than the standard #20 tank, around $100 each.

Just in case you didn't know, I didn't.

Happy Trails.............George

03-29-2002, 08:07 AM
FYI from the net:

"Q: I have a horizontal cylinder on my recreational vehicle. Are OPD's available for that kind of service?

A: Presently, the Code does not explicitly address the issue of OPD valves on horizontal cylinders. This has presented some difficulty as horizontally oriented cylinders that were manufactured prior to October 1, 1998, are unable to be retrofitted with the OPD's that are available at this time. There is currently a proposal in the Code process that would exempt this style of a cylinder from needing an OPD if visibly marked that it has no OPD and was manufactured prior to October 1, 1998, and if none of these safety devices are available for this style of cylinder. While the foregoing is a proposal for the 2001 edition of the Code, it is not now known if this suggested amendment will be approved. Without question, OPD's are still required for these cylinders that have been manufactured after September 30, 1998. An attempt is regularly made to make propane marketers aware of changes in the Code. Any question that you have may be directed to your local propane service provider.

03-29-2002, 08:13 AM
'forgot to say: Honk if you see us in Tennessee next week -- our season kick-off.

2swans
03-30-2002, 07:42 AM
jimmy is right--at least in texas. so check with your state's equivalent of our Texas Railroad Commision--my husband spoke to the assistant director of propane gas regulation, and he walked my husband through the maize of regulation on the web to show him that all horizontal tanks were exemp.  

our propane shop had told us that we would need to replace them. and the local new said the same thing. the news anchor was called by dale, and they were glad to get the correct information. they also checked it out.

check this out, everyone with the horizontal tanks. we were about to spend $160.00+ unnecessarily.

Larry_Loo
03-30-2002, 04:36 PM
My search for the keywords "Manchester propane tank" led me to a National Fire Protection Assocation fact sheet dated March 2002.

Near the end of this fact sheet there is the statement: "The 2001 edition of NFPA 58 modified requirements to exempt horizontal cylinders manufactured before October 1, 1998 from requiring OPDs."

Since propane sellers may start looking for OPDs on our horizontal tanks beginning next month, it may be wise for us to print out a page like this, to keep on hand. Then, if any seller refuses to sell us propane, this fact sheet may be sufficient to persuade the seller to fill our tanks.

The NFPA fact sheet may be found at:

http://www.nfpa.org/Research/nfpafactsheets/propane_cylinder_overfilling_p/propane_cylinder_overfilling_p.asp ;D

2swans
03-31-2002, 10:00 AM
;)thanks, larry-have copied your nfpa file page as backup to our TX RRC page.

03-31-2002, 10:43 AM
:( Numerous RV and Trailer magazines have had articles on this. The problem will be if you "take" the tanks in to be refilled. Then they become "Vertical" tanks. Only if mounted on your TrailManor SL are they "Horizontal". So, it looks like you have to tow the unit in to get tanks filled. Many RV parks fill tanks on the RV and only charge by the gallon and not a flat fee per tank. A lot of U-Haul locations fill tanks, but I don't know what their company policy is. Trying to show an article like this to someone working at a "chain" outfit will probably accomplish nothing but raising your blood pressure. I have had some suppliers try to tell me (prior to this cutoff date) that since the tanks unbolt, they have to be removed to be filled. SOLUTION!! ;D ;D A small bead of hot glue and white paint to make it look like the tank is welded on.

arknoah
04-01-2002, 01:16 AM
All I gotta say is that I'm glad my tanks came with the OPD so I wouldn't have to worry about converting older tanks. This is likely to be unsettling to lots of us.  

Also, thanks to Larry or researching this and at least giving us some ammunition!

Larry_Loo
04-01-2002, 01:59 AM
John,
The brackets for the 2 propane tanks on my 1999 3124SL are welded on to the tanks themselves. Are they not on your 1998 3124SL? Therefore, if my tanks were taken off the trailer and taken to a propane station, it would be obvious to anyone that these are horizontally-mounted ones. Removal of my 2 tanks requires that 6 large bolts be removed. We therefore usually have the tanks filled in place at an RV park or some location where we can pull our rig right up to the pumps.

Although my tanks are equipped with OPD devices, I intend to take copies of the NFPA fact sheet along on our trips this year to hand out to anyone who might have a question about filling horizontal tanks. This will help us to do our part in alleviating the propane tank refilling problem for all TM owners. ;D

04-01-2002, 10:17 AM
Yes my tanks have the mounting brackets, but the guages they used in 98 show the liquid level in either the the horizontal or vertical position.  We normally don't take the tanks off to get filled, unless we are somewhere for an extended period. I can't imagine why one small supplier didn't want to fill the tanks on the trailer.  You just get some strange people out there.