PDA

View Full Version : Outside Storage Containers

04-09-2002, 01:58 PM
The one disadvantage I have found in the TM is no access to outside strorage when the unit is closed.  My DH wanted me to ask has anyone added an outside storage box to the front or back of their unit.  Is there an aftermarket unit you can add?  If you have added a box, what type did you add?  We would not carry more than 100 lbs in this box.

04-09-2002, 02:55 PM
One problem in using a large box, a soft bundle, or a bike rack secured to the unit's frame is that you lose ability for quick set up if these items need to be removed.  

Also, 100lbs added at the back or front end of the trailer may increase sway.

We strap on two empty 6 gallon water containers between the propane tanks and battery case which clear the opening shell.

arknoah
04-10-2002, 02:40 AM
Just a quick comment on the issue of putting something on the rear of the trailer.  We had a hitch receive installed on the frame of our trailer by the dealer in which we inserted a bike rack.  Besides the issue of weight with such a device, is the problem of the bouncing in the rear of the unit.  In our case, it actually bent the arms of the bike rack.  Though the results might not be so bad with some other kind of device, I thought you'd like to know this.

Other people, I know have strapped individual items between the frame and the tanks, like a "honeypot," bit this may compromise being able to open the trailer easily.

Happytrails
04-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Just a thought, how about a receiver, but instead of a bike rack or whatever, how about one of those flat mesh "trays". LOL, I should know what they're called as I've got one myself. You can get rails and everything for them to add a box back there. You wouldn't have to remove it for the shell to clear, you could compensate for the sway by adding more load in front of the tires on the TM, and it's strong enough to support 550 lbs, so it shouldn't bend because of rear end bounce. (tho anything in a box should be protected from bouncing inside the box by adding balled up newspaper or whatnot). 100lbs should travel VERY well in a setup like that. Anyway, My 2 cents worth........ ;D

2swans
04-11-2002, 11:05 AM
??? i hate to SOUND dumb, but what do you put in the 6 gal. water containers-aren't the holes pretty small? do you cut off the tops,filthem with items, then duck tape them together for travel? and fj and ellen, what is a honeypot in travel terms? sure would like to know a way to put a few things outside, too. the containers sound intriquing--just can't visualize how they are used. (saw some 6 and 7 gal. water containers at walmart today, so i'm curious). thanks. :D 2swans

04-11-2002, 12:51 PM
I use the 6 gallon containers for water.

04-11-2002, 01:11 PM
My opinion:

Regarding adding weight to the extreme ends of the trailer -- be careful.  If you add 100lbs to the rear bumper I am betting you will feel the difference unless you tow with a heavy vehicle such as a Suburban, Excursion, F-350.

I originally ran with a spare tire on the rear and two batteries in the front.  Having since moved the spare to the tow vehicle and removed one of the two batteries, sway under certain conditions is diminished.   Maybe others can share any experiences here.

You can't compensate for sway in the yaw (vertical) axis by adding more weight forward of the tires.  Chances are you'll make it worse.

Happytrails
04-11-2002, 02:25 PM
Having absolutely NO experience even towing my own TM yet, that may very well be true, but as the RV shop told me, "Take it out on the road, and see how conditions are after you let a few tractor trailors pass ya...........before I consider even adding any of the "extras" like sway control, and equalizing hitches, etc.........Call me dumb, but I'm someone who has to see it to believe it..........(Towing with a 90 s-10 Blazer) I will say I have a boat I tow, and have been passed, and passed tractor trailers with no problems, but that's completely different..........lol...Like I said, just a thought.....just seems to me if you have a "teeter totter" as in like a "see saw" situation, 100lbs on one side, and another 100lbs on the other would cancel each other out..............I could VERY well be wrong, and I'm by no means any sort of authority on that subject...................

arknoah
04-12-2002, 01:47 AM
Sorry,

I thought the term "honeypot" was common language for RVers.  Its a rolling tank in which you dump your sewer waste when you don't have a sewer connection at a campground.  then you roll it to the dump station to dump it.  Not very delicate, but sometimes a necessity.  Lots of us have them, and we ALL try to avoid using them!

2swans
04-13-2002, 02:34 AM
::)thanks for the education! i'm glad to know what a honeypot is and that water is what you put in water containers--duhh-ha! sounds like i some help, all right!
both of these ideas seem very helpful. we think we'll use the water containers when dry camping and the hp whenever we can. we didn't know they were called honeypots, but had decided we could not use these big blue containers, because we had nowhere to put them.
now we know better!! thanks again.
2swans

04-15-2002, 04:26 PM
Regarding adding weight to the extreme ends of the trailer -- be careful. If you add 100lbs to the rear bumper I am betting you will feel the difference unless you tow with a heavy vehicle such as a Suburban, Excursion, F-350.

I tow our 2720 with a 4x4 Excursion.  The single axle trailer is especially sensitive to weight balance.   Since I can get away with this, I prefer balancing more weight on the tongue and using heavy load equalizing bars.   Just my preference.   I can tell the difference between having the fresh water tank full (start of a trip) and the grey water tank full (end of a trip) as the weight moves backward.

I carry one of those 7gallon blue Reliance jugs (Popular Outdoors, REI, etc.) with drinking water in addition to the fresh water in the trailer.  The jug fits quite nicely on the bathroom floor, right in front of the Thetford, and keeps the weight close to the axle.  Our small microwave fits nicely on the floor between the door opening and the sink.

Something light weight, either small or light bicycles, may be OK on the rear bumper.   I'll be more likely to put them on top of the Excursion.  That's also where we can put a roof box that's useful for skis, strollers, duffle bags, etc. if we're really cramped for space. (yepper, it's happened on some non-camping trips).