PDA

View Full Version : Anyone camped at STONE MOUNTAIN, GEORGIA?

radiojon
04-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Would love to hear about the park and campground! Any recommended sites?

Thanks!

- Mark

radiojon
05-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Since it seems that no one here has had the opportunity to camp at Stone Mountain, let me give a quick thumbs-up! We just returned from a trip there last weekend and really enjoyed it! It's quite "hilly" in some parts of the campground; therefore, some of the sites have fairly steep drop-offs to the sites below ... so if you have little ones, you're best advised to set up in one of the lower ones. Also, although we didn't have one, we did see several sites that had nice concrete pads. The campground appeared almost complelely full, but it was unbelieveably quiet and peaceful. Lush tree cover meant no satellite tv signal, but it was actually a welcome trade-off.

The park itself has many great attractions and is a beautiful place to spend a couple of days. We look forward to going back soon, hopefully during some scheduled special events!

Definitely worth a look if you're looking to stay in the Atlanta area!

- Mark

wwjam
05-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Hi... We've never camped at Stone Mountain, but I've been there with my dad and it's a nice place. My dad lives in Douglas County, and is a Southern boy through and through. :D

Jo Ann

Bill Gray
06-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Stone mountain is a wonderful park!!!! My family has stayed there twice both times for the Celtic festival and highland games....My husband is an athlete inthe games so the wife and "bairns" tag along... The times we stayed were both an a tent the first time with a 2yr old the second time with a 4yr old and twin 2 1/2yr olds....So take very accurate guess why we are getting a TM 2720...(in my best Scarlett O'hara voice) "I'll never sleep on the ground again...surrounded by Pack and plays!!!!!" I highly recommend the park it is just beautiful....most sites have a lovely view of the lakes surrounding the campground. Thereis a ferry "water" that takes you over to see the infamous laser light show....that is a hoot with strollers let me tell ya....The bathhouses are ooh so nice. There is a nice little camp store...and a great playgound for kids. The park outside of the campground is great with lots of activities....stone mo. train and the lift top of the mountain....but of course, the highlight of our trip is always the festival with all the Scottish fanfare......If you can go to Stone Mo....you will not be disappointed..... the terrain is hilly yes but hey you want to get mileage from your lift kits....right?!>?

rockerga
06-07-2006, 03:38 PM
I guess the wife and I need to walk over there. (actually "drive" but we are only 15 minute drive from the park) We have never looked at the camping area due to living so close. We do visit Stone Mountain quite often for all the special events such as the previously mentioned Celtic Games, but also the Chili Cook-off and Yellow Daisy Festival are our favorites as well. The entire park is always clean and immaculately maintained, I just can't speak for the camping areas.

06-25-2006, 10:50 AM
I found it a bit pricey for what you get, and crowded but if you are doing a family vacation IN the park it would be a great place. The mountain and park all add up the $$ pretty quick though: seems Georgia and Alabama both are big on nickel and diming you to death ... for almost $40 a night you would expect FREE Internet hook up and more then one washer / dryer in the whole park you know? Not to mention you have to pay $8 just to get into the park to access the RV park!

Definitely worth a visit but a little pricey IMO for what you get ...