PDA

View Full Version : E-mail viruses - alert

05-13-2002, 12:03 AM
I received E-mails on the 10th and 13th containing a virus W32.Klez.H@mm that I suspect originated using this web site's E-mail address list. Since my listed e-mail name is unique to this site I know this is the origin for obtaining the address.

As usual, do not open E-mail which is unknown and be sure to use updated anti-virus protection.

RickNewcomb
05-13-2002, 02:14 PM
I recieved this same virus about 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it didn't  originate from this website because my wife also received this virus at the same time and she doesn't use this site.

Also, keep in mind that if you have corresponded via email with anyone on this board, your email address may be in there address book. Or if they happened to forward this email to someone else who knows where it went after that.

Also, your browser maintains "cookies" which usually contains information about you. If you have ever gone to a website where you have registered and returned to the same site later in time and the site recognizes who you are. The site has stored information in your "cookies" file. So, if your email address happens to be in your cookies, it is now available to any website that you browse.

I agree 100% about keeping your anti-virus software updated. It is unfortunate that there are people out there who have nothing better to do than write destructive software.

05-18-2002, 08:31 AM
I have gotten several hundred such messages initiated by the Klez virus. Updating anti-virus software may not do much good since my understanding is that the virus `turns off' such software in your machine. It apparently only attacks Microsoft based email programs such as Outlook Express 6 which is what I have been using.
The only way I can think of to foil it is to get away from Microsoft to something else and I am in the process of changing over to PocoMail which handles emails differently and, thus, is not subject to such virus attacks. I am not a computer guru or I could explain it better.
Dick_B

RickNewcomb
05-20-2002, 12:23 AM
So far my Norton Antivirus software has caught and identified the Klez virus. I also have it configured to scan all incoming and outgoing email.

05-20-2002, 12:51 PM
Yes, I'm also using Norton Utilities with anti-virus 2002 and it seems to be doing the job.  Its Live Update is quite active with new virus definitions.

One E-mail received had a title of "cell padding" and the other was "darling"; all of which Norton had automatically quaranteened upon receipt.

Chris
05-20-2002, 03:14 PM
I too have been receiving them.   >:(  They are sent to my webmaster address, so I know they are originating from a member of this board.  In my case Norton has grabbed each one.  The motto here is don't open anything with a .scr attachment, a .exe attachment, or anything else that doesn't "look right".  If you have any questions on the validity of a virus or if it's a hoax, go to McAffee's or Norton's home page.  They have lists of hoaxes.
I'll see what I can do to track them down.
Ct..