PDA

View Full Version : Lift kit question

Douph92
03-12-2006, 06:52 PM
I apologize for this question, but I am learning all I can before I purchase. What is the purpose of the lift kit? I am trying to determine if I would need one and how it would affect the camper fitting into my garage of 82 inches vertical distance.

Dave

Flycaster
03-12-2006, 07:24 PM
I just took delivery of a new 3023 with a lift kit (2 inch) added at the factory. The 3023 is the first in the line that uses a 5000 lb rated axle and 15 inch wheels. I was advised that the 15 inch wheels raises the frame about two inches over the models with a 14 inch wheels, so my lift kit gives me lots of clearance for the gray and black water pipes that hang below the unit, driver's side, rear.

I added the lift because about half of the camping we do in the Blue Ridge Mtns. is accessable only over some tricky terrain; many of the best sites are the hardest to get to.

Furthermore, I like the idea of getting on my creeper and easily scooting under the rig to inspect and repair. Apparently the added body height will make changing the tires easier as well.

Finally, since I am towing with a taller SUV, perhaps the additional height will not affect the trailer's towing characteristics very much.

Good luck with your decision. I am very pleased with the additional lift.

Flycaster

PopBeavers
03-12-2006, 07:25 PM
The purpose of the lift kit is to increase ground clearance. When I go into driveways to get gas I don't drag onthe ground.

hal
03-12-2006, 07:43 PM
The lift kit was developed by the dealer in Colorado. Being that mountain camping is conveniently located a few miles west of the major cities, many people use these mountains to escape the rigors found in the city. The purpose of the kit was to allow people more access to the more remote camp sites, which were more reachable by having the trailer lifted 2 inches.

Also, thanks to this dealer, many of you are able to enjoy the slide out models, dual porch lights on the street side plus a porch light on the street side. The Colorado dealer began the tradition of having extra windows on the front and rear sides of the TrailManor trailer. Originally, there was only one side window in the area and only one window in the front sides of the TM

Hal

Douph92
03-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the insight Texas Camper. I see you are in Denton. I am originally from Carrollton and I am here in Ft Collins CO working on a PhD. If you see any 2720s there in Texas for sale let me know. We need an excuse come back and see folks.

Gig Em!!
Dave

Doug & Jeanne
03-15-2006, 06:58 PM
I just purchased a TM 3023. Who sells the lift kits?

ripp1202
03-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Trailmanor http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Service/Service.htm

angler_2
03-16-2006, 11:35 AM
I'll be picking up my used 2000 2720sl tomorrow. Since I'll be taking my TM on some pretty tough mountain roads, I want to be sure I have the lift kit. If this trailer doesn't have one, I will purchase one from the factory and have it installed. What does the lift kit look like when I look up under the trailer? Is it easy to identify?
Thanks,

rockerga
03-16-2006, 11:56 AM
I'll be picking up my used 2000 2720sl tomorrow. Since I'll be taking my TM on some pretty tough mountain roads, I want to be sure I have the lift kit. If this trailer doesn't have one, I will purchase one from the factory and have it installed. What does the lift kit look like when I look up under the trailer? Is it easy to identify?
Thanks,

Here is a pic of mine. It is just a 2" piece of steel.

Bill
03-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Search engine to the rescue! Take a look at Ripp1202's post at

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16615&#post16615

Bill

rockerga
03-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Bill; see what did I tell you in an earlier post... Look at Ripp's photo and then at mine. I need to take photography lessons I guess.

Bill
03-16-2006, 12:10 PM
My apologies, Ron. Your picture is great, too, and I had no intent to leave it out! You posted it while I was searching for Ripp's pic, so I didn't even realize it was there.

Bill

heyokasni
03-16-2006, 01:41 PM
In looking at these photos, I'm seeing something very different from what I have under my 1988 TM 26. I have leaf springs. It looks like the axle is solidly attached to the frame in the photos of the lift kit. Is that right? Is there no suspension on the trailer or is it just different from what I have on my "vintage" TM?

rockerga
03-16-2006, 03:00 PM
My apologies, Ron. Your picture is great, too, and I had no intent to leave it out! You posted it while I was searching for Ripp's pic, so I didn't even realize it was there.

BillOh goodness no, I was actually looking at my lack of skills for taking good pics REALLY! My wife always chide's me about it but yet I am always the one taking the pictures or we would not have any! I will work on it. The one I just posted on the Equal-i-zer subject is a large pic so the quality had to be poor for use as an attachment!

Bill
03-16-2006, 03:38 PM
In looking at these photos, I'm seeing something very different from what I have under my 1988 TM 26. I have leaf springs. It looks like the axle is solidly attached to the frame in the photos of the lift kit. Is that right? Is there no suspension on the trailer or is it just different from what I have on my "vintage" TM?These days, Trail Manors ride on a Torflex suspension from Dexter Axle. You can see a pic at http://dexteraxle.com/torflex_axles

Seems to work pretty well. I'm not sure when (or why) leaf springs were phased out.

Bill

rickst29
04-12-2006, 04:26 PM
First Bit: My 2006 2619, unlike earlier model years, would require cutting and welding to add the lift kit, because the axle is mounted via welding. It's no longer bolt-on. (There's a small chance that this applies only to the 5000 lb axle). I don't know if this is a result of TM switching to the Torflex, but I'd guess that it is.

The message to be heard is: If you have the lift kit done AT THE FACTORY, you save about $150-$200 worth of welding.

I had originally decided to have the TM delivered without the kit, and then check if I had enough room (because it was gonna be very close). If I had known that it is no longer easy to add, I would have gotten precise figures so that I could make my decision before the TM was assembled.

Second Bit: On the 2006 model year 2619, Ground clearance with the standard 14" wheels/tires (3500 lb axle) is 8-1/2". Moving up to the 5000 lb axle and 15" wheels/tires raises ground clearance to 11-1/2". Even though the tire is only 0.8" bigger in radius, the 5000 lb axle adds a lot of height compared to the 3500 lb version. (I decided, just today, NOT to have the lift kit added... because it's now so expensive and time consuming to add, and because the axle already makes such a suprisingly large difference. And BTW, the lowest part is the bottom of the Sewer valve).

Third Bit: Note this interesting point from many other posters... for lots of people, it's not the Ground Clearance Instead, it's the Approach Angle: You go up a steep curb without the lift, your rear bumper drags on the pavement. The 2-axle 3326, even though it has poor ground clearance, has a pretty good approach angle, because there's not as much overhang as the single axle models. I''ve no idea how the 2720 max approach angle compares with the 3124.

USAFCOP
05-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Is the 2" lift only the 2 axle mount length peices of 2" 1/4" wall tube steel and longer grade 8 bolts and lock washers and nuts?

Looks easy to install or even build your own, at least on the older models like the 94 I just bought...