PDA

View Full Version : Soft Spot on the Floor of TM I might Purchase

05-29-2002, 01:12 PM
Hi, has anyone any advise about a TM I am looking to purchase?

This is a 98 2720SL with a sleeper sofa in the front. I have gotton the Dealer down to $5,700, which I know from looking around this is a great price. The dealer has had this unit for 1.5 years, and is really looking to sell it. They are not familiar with Trail Manors at all. When I asked if I could break it down, the sales guy said he didn't think the battery had enough power to lower it.

This unit is in fairly good shape, but could use a good cleaning. My only real concern is a soft spot on the floor in front of the Stove. When you step on it, I can see it give a little from underneath.

Is this normal on a TM?

If not, is this signs of a Major Problem that I don't want to deal with?

Dave

Gene
05-29-2002, 02:39 PM
I suggest that you call the TrailManor factory. Ask for Jimmy Davis. He will be able to tell you if it is a major problem or not.

2swans
05-29-2002, 02:49 PM
davidlee,
hello, and welcome to the TM website.our colleague is right--call jimmy davis at the factory. he knows more than anybody but God.  :o they do take an active interest in all TM's--even pre-owned ones. we bought a 98 2720SL this past year, and got almost as good a deal as you may be getting--7,000.00. jimmy was and is a real help for advice. we did not have the concern that you describe, however. sounds rather suspicious. hopefully, jimmy will have your answer. if not, try God!He probably owns a TM, too. ;D  good luck--2swans

Happytrails
05-29-2002, 03:25 PM
LOL, I'm wondering what your "soft spot" is? That's DEFINATELY a good price provided that your TM's in good condition. Trust me, anyone around here can tell ya I know how they're constructed........I'd guess someone simply dropped something heavy on the floor, then someone got the alum dent out by pulling it out, but underneath, the styrofoam's been "dented" Without seeing it.....my best guess at a fix is to drill a small hole in the floor, and shoot some slow expanding foam....SLOOOWWWLY into the hole....a little bit at a time. My guess is the hole's still there from the "dent puller" which most body shops are VERY familar with, so just don't go overboard with the foam....should fix it up. If there's one thing I've learned about these things, they're not hard to fix.........But that is a VERY good price.......I saw one that was one year older than mine on the net that got sold for 8.000.00, and mine's a 1986. You can call Jimmy and bug him, but I KNOW for a fact, they're constructed exactly as they say........under your floor, you have 3 inches of styrofoam, followed by another "skin" of aluminum...............To let ya in on a little fact, I'd not gotten mine for 400 bucks if the guy knew what he had on his hands! Heck, I could sell the fridge and stove for what I've got in mine total! Don't pass up a good deal, sometimes it is a good thing.......... ;D

Happytrails.......

http://members.aol.com/br768

Happytrails
05-29-2002, 03:28 PM
PS....if he is telling ya he's not sure about battery power to lower it.......you better jump all over it........and ask him to throw in a can of compression as well.........or ya won't take it!   ;)

Mischeiviously,
Happytrails..............

Happytrails
05-29-2002, 03:38 PM
P.S........I was quoted by our local TM dealer on a 2002 model, (yours), over 20,000 bucks, and they haven't changed except for the wheel wells, (about two hours of your time to fix, and under 20 bucks......ask Dipsmom) phhpttt dips and sounds like yours is new....just been sitting.................GRAB IT!

Happytrails.........

2swans
05-30-2002, 06:57 AM
davidlee, husband is wondering if a rock hurled up from underneath during a trip might have broken floor styrofoam--might be able to see a dent or hole from underneath trailer :-/. as you know, these TM floors are layer of alum/layer of 3"styro/layer of alum. hope this helps. still think you'll be glad if you talk to jimmy.  2swans.

RickNewcomb
05-30-2002, 07:56 AM
Could it possibly be the support structure? Are there wood or aluminum joists included in the styrofoam floor? ???

The TrailManor webpage shows wood joists in the floor cross section.

http://www.trailmanor.com/construction.htm

05-30-2002, 10:10 AM
I have checked out the bottem, and it shows no problems.  Also, I have talked with Jimmy at the factory, and the floor has no wood in it.

He said it did not seem like a big concern. He said I should weld a support underneath the soft spot so iy won't get worse.  Seeing as though I only have a deposit on the unit and have not closed the deal I should be able to get the dealer to do this.

Dave

Happytrails
05-30-2002, 11:39 AM
Yes, the only wood in the floor is where it meets the walls......or anywhere in the trailer to be exact....just where a wall meets a ceiling, or floor, etc..........as well as the bottom of the shells.

Happytrails....