PDA

View Full Version : Yet another "Is my current TV big enough?" question

ripides
02-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Like many, my wife and I are looking to get a TM. We have been considering the 3124KB. We would probably get the awning and air conditioning package as well. I am not sure what the total weight would be but the dry weight with out options is listed at 3090. Currently we have a 01 Ford Explorer Sport Trac which has a 4.0L V6 SOHC 12V FI Engine,and a tow rating of 5300lbs. Now I did learn the "new" math when I was in school so it looks like I would be ok. But I am new to this game and don't know what other considerations that I am missing.

ripp1202
02-25-2006, 06:28 AM
I tow a 3023 with a 1500 Dodge Quad cab 4.7 V8 eng. and it has the tow package. Does great on flat land , You have to keep checking to see if the trailer is there!! Went to Myrtle Beach SC. last spring and when I hit the mountains with 7% grade I could then tell that I was pulling a trailer !!!!!! and this truck is rated for 7000 lb towing cap. I would say that you are pushing it to the max with yours.The Rip :new_evil:

rgrant78
02-25-2006, 08:14 AM
This is an answer given to me by the expert on this site for towing. Ray knows it all. I asked him a similar question as I have a sport trac and am looking for a trailmanor. Hope this helps.

Hi Ryan...

I would rate the combo of a 3326 and your Sport Trac as "iffy" but definitely not horrible. After a fair amount of googling, about all I could turn up on your vehicle is that it had about a 5100 lb tow capacity...but not at all sure if that was with the standard 3.73 axle or your optional 4.10 (and the axle ratio will definitely make a difference). The problem with "tow capacity" ratings is they're normally done using a stripped down, no passengers, no cargo tow vehicle...so they usually have to be reduced by around 500 to 800 lbs to reflect the weight of typical options/passengers/cargo in the tow vehicle. And therein is the "iffy-ness" of a 3326 because that trailer, when equipped with normal options and loaded for the long trips you propose, will probably weigh close to its GVWR of roughly 4900 lbs.

Compounding the problem is all those calculations of tow capability are done with sea level power...not a big consideration in Oklahoma where the altitudes aren't terribly high but a definite consideration when you're thinking of towing across the Rockies to Montana and Washington (particularly if the very high altitudes of Colorado will be in your planned routes).

The one thing you won't have to worry much about is sway control/stability...I found that your truck has a 125 inch wheelbase and that should be sufficient to nicely control even a 3326 as long as you don't put excessive amounts of weight in the rear storage compartments.

Soooo, since your situation...given what I can dig up on the internet....is kinda iffy, I'll need some numbers out of your owner's manual that are specific to your truck's 4.10 axle and engine. Specifically, I need to know what Ford lists as your truck's "curb weight" and what Ford specs as its Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). I also need to know how much cargo and passenger load you'd probably carry in the truck on a typical camping/travel trip. With those pieces of information, I'll be able to give you a whole lot better advice.