PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned...

05-28-2002, 01:11 PM
Always check the tires, before and during a trip.  We took our 93 2720 to Oconee State Park and on the way home had a blow out.  THANK GOODNESS for my husband's driving skills and guardian angels.  No one was beside us.  We went into the left lane, avoided the median, got over to the emergency lane.  

The wheels wells were not modified so when the tire blew, it blew the front steel wall into the TM and knocked a 6 inch hole in the outside wall of the cabinet.  Tire and rubber coated everything in the TM.  The front jack and all the locks were basically destroyed.  It was a wild 10 - 15 second ride I don't want to do again.

I count my blessings we have insurance and no one was hurt.  The TM is material and can be repaired.  The damage is $1,000 and 4 weeks without camping in the TM.

KB7OUR
05-28-2002, 04:24 PM
Dipsmom,

Glad to hear everyone is ok. How do you know it was the tire pressure that was the culpret? How old were they and do you know how many miles they had on them?

Wade

05-29-2002, 06:23 AM
We were traveling through an area with construction so we could have hit debrie in the road.  

My husband had check the tires prior to the trip and everything was ok.  After reading the tire site, we are going to upgrade the tires on the unit.  We are going to do everything possible to avoid this from happening again.  We are new to campers so hopefully this was a weird occurence.

06-06-2002, 03:25 AM
I just had a very similar experience yesterday.

I had just bought a 98 TM 2720SL from a dealer about 80 miles from my home.  The dealer was going to deliver the TM after we did our final checkout.  The Final checkout went great, better then great.  This dealer fix or replaced every little thing I could find wrong with the TM.  Most of these items I didn't even mention to the dealer, I got such a good price I didn't feel I could nit-pic.

Anyway,  the dealer was following me home with the TM, when all of the sudden I see him flashing his lights at me.  I could water dumping out the back of the TM.

We pulled over to find the Drivers side tire on the TM had lost its tread, but was still inflated.  When the tread flew off it took out about ever drain relase on the trailer. The Grey/Black relase was gone, the fresh water, hot water line, and cold water line ends were also gone.

When we got the tire off, there was decent size rip in the sheet metal in front of the wheel well.

But to my surpise, when the driver called back to the dealer, the Manager got on the phone, and told me that they would fix everything and don't worry about it.

I thought they would give me a hard time about this.  I had already offically accepted the TM on paper back at the dealership.

Once the dealer holds up his end of this, I will post this story again with the name of the Dealer.  They are are a national dealer with many locations.   And they are not a Trail Manor Dealer.

Dave