PDA

View Full Version : Joshua Tree National Park, California

Bill
02-14-2006, 10:57 AM
My wife and I just got back from a trip to Death Valley and Joshua Tree National Park. Death Valley has been discussed on this board, and it is a fascinating place. But I don't think Joshua Tree has come up.

Joshua Tree is a big park, just north of I-10 in southeastern California. Camping within the park is all dry, but water and dump stations are available at the park entrances. We love the vegetation there, especially the Joshua Trees, of course. (That spiky thing in the center of the first pic is a Joshua Tree.) We also love the rock formations. As you can see in the second pic, you can actually camp amidst fields of huge rounded boulders, which is quite an experience. Or set up near Skull Rock (4th pic) - ooh, ghost stories around the campfire for the kids! If you are a bit too claustrophobic for this, there are several more conventional big open campgrounds, still very pretty.

There are plenty of hiking trails of all lengths and all skill levels, and getting outside is a blast. This is desert country, so you'll want plenty of drinking water when you leave your TM. And the night sky in the desert is amazing. I've attached a couple pics to show the idea.

Camping is first-come first-serve. This time of year the weekends tend to fill up, but the place was only 1/4 full during the week. Some of the campgrounds have such narrow twisty roads that nothing over 25' total length can get in. Others are spread out enough for the behemoth big rigs. But most are just right for a TM.

In this part of the desert, gas stations are far apart. Be sure to maintain at least half a tank.

Bill

Speckul8r
02-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Man, Those are some nice pics. I'm jealous!!!! Joshua Tree has been high on the places I want to see for years. Maybe I'll make it yet! So many places, so little time.