PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for Custer, SD

ripp1202
02-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for Custer SD?? We are planning a trip to Mount Rushmore around the fourth of July and are looking for campgrounds in the area with a reasonable quiet hour (by reasonable I mean the later the better) and decent size sites. We normally prefer the state parks but since we will be staying a full week will do better with full hook-up.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks! :new_evil:

jouster
02-11-2006, 08:06 AM
We are headed there in June. Never been before. We picked these based on our likes after looking in three campground guides.

Garretson SD
Palisades SP ($14.00)
605-594-3824

Interior SD
Badlands Motel & Campground ($14.00 +1.00 sewer)
800-388-3643

Custer SD
Custer Mtn Cabins & Campground ($27.00 – 30.75)
800-239-5505

rickst29
04-06-2006, 02:31 AM
From the town of Custer, I recomend that you choose a place as far up into the woods as possible. This isn't very far up, only about a mile out of town... but it is in the right direction, most of their sites have hookups, and their web page shows the S.D. "Great Service" award... which is a rare bird.

http://www.fortwelikit.com/fort/index.html

The closer you get to Sylvan Lake and Needles, the happier you be. (The Sylvan Lake Lodge is very nice, IMO better than the Game Lodge down the hill... I've stayed at both, but you're not looking for Lodge-type accomodations).

BTW, in my MUCH younger days, I used to introduce first-day "climbers" to the sport for pay, I've spent considerable time in the neighborhood. But never in an RV campground, this is a blind recommendation based on (1) their address, (2) their 'Great Service' prize, and (3) the moderate size and OK layout of their Campground.

Unfortunately, their quiet time ends at 7 AM.

Magdefrau
04-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Yes, I was at Custer State Park Last June with my wife and two kids.
It was grand! You can see all the major wildlife except bears. Understand that the day visit to Mt. Rushmore is a must. I can also let you in on this. Mt. Rushmore's night show is fantastic. All Americans need to see this. And all of this is free. A few dollars for parking. We didnot have our TM at this time. We camped in a tent along a stream. There are several camp grounds in Custer to choose from. It was clean, quiet, freindly. The bath house was the best. The park service had evening talks or activity. My kids played in the stream and ran through the grassy fields. My son and I took several father and son hikes through the forest. It was very much RV friendly also. We took several drives. One to a place called needles. Of coarse, Mt. Rushmore. And like I said the wildlife loop. And as yall know because we're hill folk from God's home state of Arkansas we visited the near by Wal-Mart.
There is other places to see. We went to two pay caves. On the hot days these were nice. We drove to the Bad lands, very hot! And ate dinner at the Walls Drug Store. I thought this would be stupid, but, guys it was real cool. We went on to Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons and the Rocky Mountain National Park. Really the Black Hill area had the best on the trip. But no bears in the wild, there was a bear zoo close by.

Caver
04-06-2006, 08:18 PM
We haven't had the TM there yet but we have tent camped in the past at a caving friend's ranch near Rapid City.

I do recommend visiting both Wind and Jewel caves. These are your caves operated by the National Park Service. Even though they are nearby they are both different and unique. The caves are a cool place to visit on a hot day - bring a jacket.

You might enjoy visiting Evans Plunge in Rapid City. It's an indoor water park/hot spring. Ask the locals about some of the nearby swimming holes.

Ray

rickst29
04-07-2006, 09:07 PM
The Needles hwy is an "all-american road", absolutely do not miss. But be aware that tunnel #5, just to the east of the Eye Of the Needle, is only 8'4" wide: that's a margin of about 5" on each side of your TM, and the weekend of the 4th is not the time to do this tunnel with the TM in tow if that makes you nervous (this tunnel is also VERY LONG). And, the switchbacks on this road are very sharp. Much, much better to do this after you've arrived and set up your TM in camp. Along Needle's Hwy, the hike to Little Devil's Tower gets my highest recommendation... it's much less crowded than the hike to Harney Peak, it's a bit shorter (Harney Pk Trail has a pretty dull mile or two in the low flatlands between the two high areas), and the views are more or less equal... from Harney you get good views of the NE, but from Little Devil's Tower you get great views of the Needles... possibly including great view of serious climbers on the Needles... not the Eye, which is a relatively easy 5.8 for show offs to make an exhibition of themselves right on the road, but the REAL Needles (where the Instructors go on their days off, challenging and supporting each other on 5.10 and even 5.11 routes).

You'll also find instructors, with and without clients, behind Sylvan Lake (West/SoutWest of the dam). Scampering around to the NE of the lake, you might easily come face-to-face with a goat at 5 paces... there are some up there, and they're quite used to seeing people.

If you have some extra time-- go down to Custer via the "iron mountain hwy" 16A, rather than the quicker, but WAY less scenic 16/385. This adds a couple more tunnels with cuts made especially for framing the faces on Rushmore, and the very cute, pretzel-shaped "pigtail" bridges-- designed to do a big altitude gain in a very small area, where there's no room for switchbacks. Although that sounds scary for a trailer, it actually isn't... the pigtails are much less tight the the hairpins on the Needles Hwy, the tunnels are wider, and the tunnels are also VERY SHORT.

Iron Mtn Road certainly isn't the flatlands, but it's not unreasonable for TTs. Lots of people do it, no problem. Do remember... you're going all the way accross to the Town of Custer, don't turn right and commit yourself to the Needles Hwy (87) with a Trailer in tow, unless you're very confident and experienced-- AND inconsiderate of others. Besides, IIRC, there's no parking places big enough for trailers.

Staying on 16 does include driving past plenty of Bison (95% chance), and right past the State Park Visitor's center, if you have time to burn before check-in at your camping dest. Game Lodge Dinner is fairly good, although too expensive for what you get-- there is no competition, there isn't a really GOOD Restaurant anywhere in SD. Keep your Buffalo Steak rare, it's a lot leaner than Beef, and if you make them push it to Medium then you'll be sawing on the resulting shoe leather all night. If you don't like rare, stick with the Pheasant.

About the Caves... You should know that although these are some of the world's largest Caves, they're also among the driest and least decorated. They're sorta just big holes in the ground, decorations are very small, very subtle. If you like that, or if the heat's getting to you, go ahead! But if you're expecting a Mamouth "frozen Niagara", or a Carlesbad, you WILL be disappointed. (If you're going to the Yellowstone neighborhood and want to see some A+++ decorations, I've got one for you: Lewis and Clark! It's a "mere" State Park, but only because the State snapped it up before the Dept of Interior got a chance).

On your way out, if you're going towards WY (Devil's Tower, Bighorns, YSNP): Don't you dare go back out via Rapid City! I'm ordering you, if you're heading West, to leae as follows: 385 N., continue from Hill City all the Way to the instersection with 85 (just before Lead and Deadwood). If you want to look at Deadwood, go ahead, it's kinda fun. But leave (on 85 or 14A) going back uphill to the West, not downhill to the East.

The reason why is US 14A, Spearfish Canyon. 14A splits from 85, going North, after about 8 miles shared (from just west of Lead). All of the "Dancing With Wolves" Black Hills scenes were shot here, and the geology is notable. (Charge your Camera batteries before this drive.) If you're headed from E to W, leave the Black Hills via Spearfish, the Interstate Junction town at the bottom of this Canyon. Costs just a little more time... but, if you'll be crossing the flatlands of East/Central east/Wyoming for the next two days, you'll be glad you spent it. You may even decide that for your next Black Hills trip, you won't even bother with the over-developed, too-hot-in-August South!

Rushmore is mandatory, although with the new (now several years old) Visitor Center, and current Government policies of "we need to make 'em afraid of terrorists everywhere, otherwise they won't less us crap on their Constitutional Rights", you can't re-do the fake shooting from North by Northwest in the Dining Room anymore.

My friends of that year warned the staff ahead of time, and the "weapon" was a gigantic bright green plastic squirtgun.) Not only was NOBODY offended or freaked out, it looked like about half the people there that year got the joke instantly. Claps ensued, she took a bow, pulled me and my water-soaked shirt up from the floor where I had died so gracefully ;). I was REALLY IMPRESSED that people knew their classic movies so well!

Final note, for both you and Jouster: Interior is gonna be way Hot in July and August, I strongly suggest that you head for the Hills (and a CG with the highest altitude you find with hookups).

rickst29
04-07-2006, 09:34 PM
You give your money to operators of "Snake Wurld", "Yogi-Bear's Genu-wine Grizzly Zoo", "Flintstone's WallyWorld" and etc., it encourages them to build more of these places. :mad:

Instead, maybe spend your entertainment bucks on a REAL trail ride (with an aggressive trail in the Iron Mtn area, or with trotting, not surrounded by screaming 5-year olds)?

Or a nice 1-2 Hour intro Climbing Course? There's several climbing outfits in Hill City, all pretty good (ask in a Bar which is best for your level, I still can't be trusted for a dis-interested recommendation.) Choose someone who'll take you just up to Sylvan Lake... less approach == more climbing.
There's no better rock for learning on ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD: tight granite with routes from 5.5 (barely above walking) to more-than-anyone-can-do, super-nice weather conditions, low altitude makes it an easy place for less-conditioned lungs, and extremely quick access from the roads means more climbing, less time wasted on travel (driving AND walking). You don't need strong arms and hands to go climbing... taught right, beginners' level is about 60% brains, 30% legs, and only about 10% arms.

OK, I had 3 thoughts. :p

rickst29
04-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Here's a nice map of the roads (including TUNNEL SIZES) and highlights of Custer State Park:

http://www.sdgfp.info/Parks/CampMaps/CusterSP.pdf

And, with a quick web search, I see that Spearfish Canyon has been awarded "Forest Service Scenic Byway" status, even though www.byways.org doesn't currently list it. (I advised them of this problem, it should be included there.)

SD State Page for your reference:
http://travelsd.com/placestogo/scenicbyways.asp

By the way, I live about 15 miles from Virginia City, and as "ex Gold-Rush Tourist traps" go, Deadwood is really just as good (as a fun tourist trap, not a "serious histor experience"). It's just a bit smaller and lacks a really good Restaurant. Go there! (Virigina City, in contrast, does have a good Chinese Restaurant right on the main drag, and there's a good place standard American and California fare a couple miles down #342 towards Carson. AQuick drive, or ride the steam engine V&T Railroad, it currently ends just above the Hotel. The Gold Hill Hotel sure does make a tasty burger. Nothing else within miles of Virginia City is remotely edible, except the tourist-staple ice cream and fudge.)

Wall Drug, well, the old singing cowboys automatron is really amazing, but as for the other dozen acres... I recommend that you get out ASAP. Do look at the Sinclair Gas Dinos on the way in/out, however. Don't waste WD's time and dishes, or much more importantly your own guts, with their version on the South Dakota "10 cent coffee" thing: the stuff here is more suitable for flushing radiators.

Badlands is A+++, better if you can arrive in the early morning or late afternoon when the shadows play nicely (Even ignoring the nice "shadow factor", midday sunlight washes out all the colors.) Afternoons in July and Aug are hot as blazes, don't think for an instant of "branding" you behind on a picnic bench! But early June is still OK.

ripp1202
04-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks for all the good info. We will definitely take your advice when making our plans. We have actually decided to make reservations at Angostura Recreation Area. We just can't seem to get away from the State Parks. We love the bigger sites and the camping atmosphere. Anyone ever camp there? We should still be close enough to Custer to take some great day trips.

Thanks again!:new_evil: