PDA

View Full Version : Pine Creek campground - Oak Creek Ariz.

Rogregma
02-02-2006, 08:15 PM
We are thinking of going to Oak Creek in Arizona the first week of April 2006. Anybody been to the Pine Creek campground? Any other suggestions for campgrounds? Favorite hiking trails, biking, fishing, etc.

BobRederick
02-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Those are nice campgrounds but kind of crowded. You definitely will require a reservation. You will be able to walk to the creek. I camp just up the hill from there. Go on up the switch backs and just beyond the viewpoint and take one of the first turn-offs to the right. You will have to open a gate in the fence. I got my 3326 in there safely and it doesn't have risers, so you should be able to make it. Its open camping, no reservations, sparcely populated, gorgeous forest, fire rings and definitely dry camping.

Bill
02-02-2006, 10:15 PM
IIRC, Cave Spring and Pine Flat are NFS campgrounds on rte 89A north of Oak Creek, right? Both are very pretty, being right beside Oak Creek, but the one that is a couple miles north of the other is prettier and more desireable, in my opinion. Both have relatively small sites, as Bob mentioned, but not side-by-each as in commercial campgrounds. Both require reservations, though that shouldn't be a problem in April. Both are dry, with central water faucets, central bath houses, and a dump station. The interior roads are paved but narrow, and backing into some of the sites is a challenge. Both campgrounds have trails going through them for casual hiking, and are near trailheads for more serious hiking. See
http://www.go-arizona.com/Cave-Springs-and-Pine-Flat-Campgrounds/
if you haven't already.

There is a commercial campground with hookups at the south end of Schnebly Hill Rd, just off rte 179 in Sedona - just opposite Tlaquepacque Village. Called Rancho Sedona, if I recall. Easy to get to, nice setting right against the creek, central to everything, but a bit crowded. Schnebly Hill Rd is a fun drive in itself - a winding dirt road. There is a trail running parallel to it that is great to hike. And at the north end, you are back at I-17 south of Flagstaff. Beautiful country!

You'll have a great time in any of these.

Bill