PDA

View Full Version : Aerobed toppers

shunter917
01-27-2006, 08:18 PM
On a lark, I just checked ebay and there were toppers for sale there. Hurry to get yours before they disappear! These are becoming hard to find since Aerobed quit selling them.

These are great because you let the air out and they can stay on the bed when the shells are closed because they are flat. Then, just pump 'em up to the firmness you like when you set up.

Bill Gray
06-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Are they electric or battery operated? Are they comparable to an eggcrate or memory foam mattress? I gather the mattress on the TM needs a supplement? We haven't received ours yet We have a 2720 on order....

Doug W.
06-06-2006, 04:51 PM
The TM bed is pretty good, but I do add a 1 inch foam pad.

wwjam
06-06-2006, 05:39 PM
We bought Costco's queen 2-1/2" memory foam mattress topper. It can't stay on the bed when we close, but we just fold it up and put it on the couch. It's the same thickness as on our home bed. It's hard (for us) to sleep on something different than what we're used to so it works well for us.

shunter917
06-18-2006, 02:51 AM
The toppers are like a heavy duty air mattress, only better. On the queen size, each side has its own pump so you and your mate can have a different firmness to sleep on. They pump up with an included electric pump. It takes about 5 minutes to pump both sides up.

Far better than eggcrate or foam - been there, done that, won't do it again. I hated having to fold, roll, etc. in taking it off the beds. I don't have to bother with that anymore.

live2shopnc
06-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Can the sheets be left on when deflating or do they come off? Would be nice not to have to have to remake it every night when travleing.

Bill
06-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Just as another data point, we have a 1-1/2" egg crate on our bed, spread out on the mattress, under the bottom sheet. We also have a top sheet and an electric blanket on the bed. These stay on the bed at all times, and we have no problem closing the shell over it. On the other hand, we also have a quilt for cold nights, and it cannot stay on the bed. We fold it up and put it on the couch for travel.

Different TMs seem to accomodate different amounts of "stuff" on the bed. Your best bet is simply to try yours out, and see what fits. As someone else posted, the shell should close easily over the bed - you shouldn't have to force it.

Bill

shunter917
06-18-2006, 02:33 PM
We leave our bedding on and only take it off for washing.

Different TM's seem to have a different clearance over the beds depending, probably, on how the lift arms are adjusted. I agree, forcing is never a good option.

RCCBV1
06-18-2006, 05:48 PM
I posted this in another line, but it applies here also.

http://bedding-and-bath.smartbargains.com/go.sb?pagename=prod&fcloc=cat&deptid=3&catid=2269&prodid=3050271318

An Aerobed Topper at Smart Bargains.

NW Native
06-25-2006, 12:29 AM
The AeroBed sounds great, but what do you do when you are dry camping and have no electricity?

YWORRYDOG
06-25-2006, 04:46 AM
With our set up, we use a 400W inverter. It will run one side of the bed at a time. it is perminatly wired and placed in the back cabinet under the bed. We use an eight inches Dove queen air bed, that must have some of the air let out when we fold.

NW Native
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Thank you for the info. I'm ready to try the Aero Topper next - we tried the memory foam (brought it from our bed at home) and that wasn't quite the solution for us after four nights in the TM.

Just reread your post! Do you use a step ladder to climb into bed, or did you remove the existing TM mattress?

YWORRYDOG
07-06-2006, 05:54 AM
I am guessing that you are asking me. The Dove air bed is a regular air bed for home use. I never slept on the the TM mattress. We use an air bed at home, and had one in the camper we owned before the TM. I had a new one waiting before the TM came home. I offered the original to anyone that wanted it on this forum as soon as our TM came home. Someone came and picked it up. So the answer is just a step stool, however we replaced the chincy plastic with a nice wood one.

camp2canoe
07-07-2006, 01:00 PM
I've weighed in on this before, but with a new thread I thought I'd share again. As the TM 2619 has only a 48" mattress, we've never found an aerobed or a memory foam mattress to fit. We have a half inch of closed cell foam on the forward berth under the TM mattress which remains all the time. We also have two 24" Therm-A-Rests under the TM mattress which we need to remove when breaking down the camper. They fold and sit on the floor where they work perfectly for padding our tv/dvd unit. If you aren't familiar with Therm-A-Rests, they are self inflating camping mattresses available from all outfitters and are available in various sizes and thicknesses. You can adjust the firmness by just blowing into the valve a couple of times. With this combination I can sleep through the night despite a bad hip.

There is another product made for sailboat berths which I've been tempted to try - check it out at www.FroliSleepSystems.com. - Camp2Canoe

Joesjunk
07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
How difficult is the Aerober topper to de-flate? How flat is it when de-flated?

Looks like this might be the answer to the hard matress on the TM and remaking the bed ever stop.

Believe me that is much better than a too soft matress. We had to replace one on a pop-up we owned. Talk about morning aches and pains. Like sleeping on a piece of plywood. :eek: It fact that's what it was.

shunter917
07-22-2006, 04:22 PM
You just unhook the hoses that attach to the pump and let the mattresses deflate on their own. I usually do that the morning we are leaving and by the time we are packing up, they're flat as pancakes.

mytlamb
08-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Smart Bargains only has full size toppers.