PDA

View Full Version : Grey Water Tank - Does it need chemicals?

KB7OUR
06-18-2002, 11:40 AM
Nowhere in the TM manual could I find an answer, and being a new RV owner...

Does the 30 gal grey water tank require chemicals to keep it sanitary similar to the Thetford terlit?

Wade

oilspot
06-18-2002, 02:18 PM
I believe they sell a bio treatment and deoderants for the grey water tank, but it is not essential.

I would play it by ear and see what happens.

The biggest factor will be how long the grey water stays in the tank between dumps/rinses.

I don't have any first hand experience yet, but I understand the bacteria side of things from waste water treatment issues at work...

arknoah
06-20-2002, 03:04 AM
Iim sure if a substantial amount of water was left in the tank for awhile it would begin to smell really bad and perhaps be a health concern.  But because so much fluid flows out when you dump it throughout the season, I don't think its necessary then..

When we had our unit stored for the season, I followed someone's advise and left the door off the sewer connection and covered it with a tight screen, so it would get air to keep the bacteria production down, but also keep out the critters.  

I recall the winterizer guy put some antifreeze in the traps as well as the toilet, which probably helped during the winter as well.

An interesting question to think about, though....

oilspot
06-20-2002, 03:19 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention is that grease and oil can really produce some nasty odor problems.

Try to avoid letting any oily or greasy products go down the drain.

If it happens, some of the bio-treatments may be able to digest some of the grease build-up, but grease is very hard to digest.

Other than that, draining the tank regularly should be sufficient to control the bacteria.