PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Tracks for Bunk Curtains

06-17-2002, 10:05 AM
The plastic ceiling tracks for our curtains are broken.  They were rather flimsy to begin with, and our children were hard on them.  Does anyone know where to obtain metal tracks, or at least HEAVY gauge plastic tracks?

Happytrails
06-18-2002, 10:31 AM
Well, two things to consider. Maybe yours are just old and brittle? What I'm thinking is if you did have a metal track instead of plastic, you'd be ripping up curtains before the track. Seems to me they would make the track flimsy on purpose just to prevent that kind of damage from occuring. I.e. the little white thingys sewed into the curtain would pop out of the track before they ripped from the curtain since that plastic thingy's pretty unforgiving. Perhaps if it "did" pop out of a metal track a few times, it'd be worn to a nub and no longer able to hold the curtain up. I'm thinking maybe your plastic might just be a little old and brittle and breaking instead of giving way under pressure. Just a thought... ;)

Happytrails......

RickNewcomb
06-19-2002, 12:20 AM
I have experienced the broken curtain ceiling track. I just replaced mine. I would agree with Happytrails that replacing it with a metal track or a heavy gauge plastic track would just cause the plastic tabs to rip of the curtain.

Prior to the my plastic track getting broken, the end tab on the curtain got ripped off about 4 or 5 times and my wife kept sewing it on. The last time she sewed it on very securely. Right after that the track broke.

Last year I managed to get through the year without any additional damage to the curtain tabs and track by using behavior modification.

My children slept with there heads toward the wardrobe end of the bed. I notice while they were sleeping they would get the curtain entangled in the bedding and thus pull on the curtain. I had the children sleep the opposite way with their heads toward the bathroom end this eliminated the curtain from getting tangled in their bedding.

Also, once everyone is up in the morning I push the curtain all the way back so it is behind the wardrobe. This eliminates any transient entanglement with the curtain.

Because of the success last year, I replaced the track this year.

Happytrails
06-19-2002, 10:25 AM
While we're on this subject, has anyone priced out a whole new privacy curtain? I've got the track up in the front, but no curtain......also, what do you guys do with that curtain.....do you take it down before you close the camper so it doesn't drag across the rear roof section? (My guess is yes, but dunno if mine was added later or a factory install).

Happytrails.......

RickNewcomb
06-19-2002, 12:35 PM
I don't know what the front curtains cost I didn't purchase them seperate. I requested them when I bought my TM and I believe the dealer thru them in as part of the negotiated price.

I do take them down for the reason you stated. I store then in the front cabinets over the front bed.

arknoah
06-20-2002, 03:00 AM
I just started taking down the front privacy curtains when we travel becausde otherwise, I would often pull  out the tabs when I would put down or take up the velcro.  It makes a lot more sense to just slide them in or out, rather  than always contending with that awful snapping sound when them get ripped out!

06-20-2002, 08:55 AM
My wife made our curtains for the front bed because the factory didn't have any to match when I was visiting.  We just slide them to the middle and have no problem with them getting tangled when we set up or take down.