PDA

View Full Version : by las vegas

JOHN WEEKS
01-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Any Great Camp Sites Near Las Vegas? Not In L.v, I Live There, Somewhere Close,to Visit. Peace

utahsue
01-21-2006, 12:31 PM
I like Valley of Fire State Park (Atlatl Rock Campground) in Nevada and the Mojave National Preserve (Hole-in-the-Wall Campground) in California. Both are within a few hours of Las Vegas.

The Mojave NP is rather primitive and is a bit charred from a fire last year, but if you like the desert, it's a cool place. If you approach it from the north you will have to drive on gravel part of the way. Take it slow and your TM will be fine, but if it is raining I'd use the south roads instead because they are asphalt.

Cathedral Gorge State Park in Nevada (near Panaca) is another option. The Nevada State Park campgrounds are all fantastic and beautifully-maintained, and this one is no exception. There are some interesting rock formations there and it's fun for kids (and dogs).

You could also come up to my home town, Saint George, Utah - it's about 125 miles away. Snow Canyon State Park, just a few miles from town, is quite scenic and has one campground.