PDA

View Full Version : Outside Phone Jack

BOB_STRONG
01-16-2006, 06:29 PM
I was talking to Linda Hulsey at the factory, and she asked me if I would post the following question on the forum. She was wondering how often people use the phone jack connection at campsites. People used to use it for the internet, but some campgrounds are starting to have WIFI wireless intrernet available.

Any feedback regarding this would be appreciated. I will pass the responses on to Linda if I receive any feedback.

Hoping to hear from all of you members who might have the phone jack on their trailers.

utahsue
01-16-2006, 06:47 PM
If I were fulltiming, I could see having a land line or bothering to hook up to a phone at a resort, but I just use my cell phone for both voice and Internet. Any place that has a land line available will probably have a strong cell phone signal, too. Personally, the phone jack is a feature I could do without.

BobRederick
01-16-2006, 07:21 PM
I have cell phone service now. If wifi is available, I will be using that in the future. Right now I don't have a computer on board. I understand '05 was the year to make wifi available in the campgrounds. It will only get better, IMO.

ripp1202
01-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Mostly camp in State Parks. No phone hook-ups!!!! Use only cell phone!!!! :new_evil: The Rip

Bill
01-16-2006, 08:21 PM
I have no use for it. But I do like the TV cable connection that is under the same cover.

Bill

RockyMtnRay
01-16-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm with The Rip. My preferred campgrounds (National and State Parks; National Forest Service) definitely do not have phone jack connections at each campsite. I consider myself in absolute luxury if the campsite even has an electrical hookup and in amazement if there is a water or sewer hookup. But even in most NPS, SP, and NFS campgrounds I've had decent cellular coverage, especially with the Smoothtalker cellphone amplifier.

On the handful of occasions that it was my misfortune to have to "camp" at a commercial RV Park :eek: (Blech, Ptui-Ptui, Hurl :disgust: ), the "campsites" (an oxymoron if there ever was one) never had a phone hookup and only one even had a cable hookup.

So my vote is that a phone hookup on a TM is a pretty useless thing. Seems to be something that you'd find on a 5th Wheel made mostly for "Residential" usage like those from Teton Homes.

rockerga
01-17-2006, 05:47 AM
I am still amazed and so happy that the TM factory takes such an active roll in the development of their product by monitoring and actively polling these forums.

I would say the phone jack is a dinosaur and the meteor is on the horizon. At one time I would have used that phone jack for an internet connection at most, (Maybe historically a little further back as a phone jack) but nowadays with cell phones and WiFi spreading like the wind it is a feature that is no longer required any longer in my opinion.

mjlaupp
01-18-2006, 08:12 AM
I have yet to see a phone connection at a campsite. I could possibly use it at home if I needed to. The grand kids love to "camp out" in the TM.
Mike

Harry Womack
01-18-2006, 08:37 AM
I have never used the phone jack. I moved the inside phone jack under the couch and mounted it in the cover over the heater. Then I put my inverter outlet in the wall where the phone jack was.

B_and_D
01-18-2006, 09:19 AM
I don't have a phone jack but I do carry a roll-up phone cable with me in my laptop case. So far I've only used it in motels. There seems to be more and more wi-fi available. If we need to make phone calls we use the cell phones.

evans27292
01-27-2006, 01:45 PM
I was talking to Linda Hulsey at the factory, and she asked me if I would post the following question on the forum. She was wondering how often people use the phone jack connection at campsites. People used to use it for the internet, but some campgrounds are starting to have WIFI wireless intrernet available.

Any feedback regarding this would be appreciated. I will pass the responses on to Linda if I receive any feedback.

Hoping to hear from all of you members who might have the phone jack on their trailers.
here in the south, nc, and sc beach areas there are phone connections.

Cowboy Cody
02-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I am new ownerand (Not quit 2 weeks) and plan on taking my laptop which does not have wireless. So yes we will use the phone jack
Regards,
Tom
2720SL

Senorsedona
02-07-2006, 11:53 AM
As far as I'm concerned it is not a must. Most folks have cell phones and for the few that use it for thier computers, they can run the phone line directly fron the post to the computer, The money saved could put some other improvement in the TM.

Just my thoughts.

Jack

Debian Dog
02-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Having had cell phones and wireless for a few years. I actually wondered what that port would be used for. I mean...What do you pay for the privilage to use a phone when your camping? Then use long distance to call your ISP or something? On dial up? Yikes!

If you have a laptop or computer made in the last 5 years it will probably take a cheap Wi-Fi card. Seems a lot less effort.

Free RV WiFi sites (http://www.wififreespot.com/rv.html)