PDA

View Full Version : Solar option offer

MidwestDave
01-16-2006, 01:28 PM
DW and two grandchildren and my self went to the RV show in Rockford,Ill yesterday (sunday). We met with Danny from Danny's RV's in Coloma.Wi. There was also a factory rep there too. He stated that Trailmanor is going to start offering a solar option now. Keep tuned folks! :D

Midwest Dave

RockyMtnRay
01-16-2006, 07:31 PM
DW and two grandchildren and my self went to the RV show in Rockford,Ill yesterday (sunday). We met with Danny from Danny's RV's in Coloma.Wi. There was also a factory rep there too. He stated that Trailmanor is going to start offering a solar option now. Keep tuned folks! :D

Midwest Dave
Should be most interesting to find out just what kind of option this will be.

I am impressed, though, that they're even doing this since there seemed to be a complete lack of knowledge about solar in the company 3 years ago when I talked to Jimmy (Ed Lytle's predecessor) about mounting solar panels on my TM's roof.

mjlaupp
01-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Just got my copy of the Tidings and an 80W solar panel was listed as one of the new factory options.
Mike

Bill
01-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Arghh! I don't think 80 watts will be enough. With any luck, the option will be extended to at least a pair of 80-watt units.

Bill

MidwestDave
01-18-2006, 08:24 PM
I almost forgot that the factory rep. also told me that satelite tv is also a new one coming down the pike! I imagine it would be just the anntena set up!
What will they think of next? :biggrinbo

Midwest Dave

rickst29
02-13-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm in the process of finalizing a 2619 order, and will probably include factory-mounted Solar... but only if they can double the max rated watts.

My guess is that they want to put it on the rear shell, and there isn't enough area to go bigger. I'll post what I learn, and advise them that you guys have all added more than double the watts they are proposing... and that you have found these "extra" watts to be REALLY IMPORTANT.

RockyMtnRay
02-14-2006, 07:12 AM
I'm in the process of finalizing a 2619 order, and will probably include factory-mounted Solar... but only if they can double the max rated watts.

My guess is that they want to put it on the rear shell, and there isn't enough area to go bigger. I'll post what I learn, and advise them that you guys have all added more than double the watts they are proposing... and that you have found these "extra" watts to be REALLY IMPORTANT.

Looking forward to hearing what TM has to say. And definitely those extra watts are critical...TM shouldn't even be thinking about less than 120 watts.

rickst29
02-16-2006, 06:20 PM
... for my upcoming 2619. EEK! :eek: As I guessed, it's mounted on the rear shell. (Batteries and Shore Power connection are also on the rear, so that kinda makes sense.)

I seems odd that they chose this panel. First oddity is the fact that only one Shell model is even sold in the USA, everything else they make is only available in Europe. Availability is also poor. More significant for us is the fact that it's too large to mount two on the rear shell. The panel which I recommended to them yesterday, the Kyocera 85W, is a tiny bit less than 40" long... so two of them can fit, end-to-end SIDEWAYS across the rear shell, without exceeding the ~82" width.

If TM went with the Kyocera as I suggested, then they could easily offer it both ways... a single for have a "budget" offering, but a useful 170W dual setup for those in the know (and their Dealers would be wise to always recommend the upgraded config). But I also looked a couple of 125W panels (also 12V). The Kyocera panel also fits, offers a better price per watt, and IMHO would be GREAT as the factory default. (Shell doesn't even make a panel in this power/size range, their next step up competes in the 170W/24V marketplace.) But you can only fit one on the rear shell of the 2619; any upgrade would force you onto both shells.

I'm about 90% sure that I'm gonna DIY... that way, I can get higher quality add-ons (Charge Controller, Battery Monitor). And besides, I don't think that even 125W is enough to cut it for us. But I'll gratefully take whatever hints I can get from those in the know about configuring the wiring, so that opening/closing the TM doesn't strain and wreck the cables.

Thanks! sorry to confirm the bad news about the TM factory option.