PDA

View Full Version : Trailmanor Covers

07-30-2001, 07:27 AM
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that is making covers that fit Trailmanors?        

07-30-2001, 01:35 PM
Try www.calmark.com.  They made a cover for my 99 3124 King. Its been durable and functional.

07-31-2001, 01:44 AM
www.calmark.com markets electronic packaging products and electro-mechanical assemblies... didn't find any trailer covers. :-/

07-31-2001, 04:48 AM
Oops! that should have been www.calmarkinc.com.  Sorry about that.  If that doesn't work, search "calmark" on Yahoo.

07-31-2001, 05:11 AM
:) Thanks Slim. I found the page and requested a quote. We have the same trailer.... what'd the cover cost you?

07-31-2001, 12:30 PM
At a recent TrailManor rally I posed the cover question to some very experienced and knowledgeable owners. The consensus seemed to be to not, repeat not, cover the trailer. The explanation was that the roughness of the cover would wear off the paint and cause more damage than protection.
Don't blame the messenger for the message.
I personally don't buy the argument for our situation. We store the trailer under a big maple tree and if you have ever seen what wet leaves do to any flat surface you would not want that to happen to the top of your trailer.
The compromise would seem to be to cover the trailer but don't let the cover touch the paint by some sort of a framework.
Dick

08-01-2001, 01:54 AM
I've covered my TM for over a year and have had no problems with paint degradation but I did have a problem with pecan tree sap, crepe myrtle sap and blossoms and sap from nearby cedar trees.  Additionally, the sun in the South rapidly degrades the three plastic roof vents and the a/c unit cover.  So, at best, its a trade-off--which causes the least damage and upkeep.  Since I can't afford to build a shelter or garage for the TM, the cover was the next best option--conventional wisdom aside.  Like all of the good advice and suggestions on this board, you have to factor in your circumstances, needs and desires before trying to make something work for you.  Happy camping. :-/

08-01-2001, 01:39 PM
when we bought our TM we asked about a cover for it and we were advised not to buy one.  the cover holds moisture in (which can cause rusting of some parts), and will not let the TM get any air circulation.  we bought one of those portable framed car ports from wal-mart and the Tm fits perfectly under it.  We are going to put tarps around the ends and sides for the winter months.  we think this is a good solution for us.  the car port cost about $700 but in the long run thats not a bad price to protect out little home away from home on wheels.    this is a great site.  thanks for letting me part of it.  Betty  ::)

08-02-2001, 03:52 AM
Betty:

In my own humble opinion, if you were to use a cheap cover, or a tarp on your TM, (or anything else, for that matter), yes, it would hold in moisture and cause damage,,,,but,,,, a "good" cover will breathe. Meaning, it will let the moisture out. The weave is fine enough to hold out drops of water, but open enough to let water vapors out.

That's one reason some covers are so expensve.

Again, not saying you were told wrong, just my opinion, nothing more. :)

Mack

08-02-2001, 10:55 AM
I purchased a good quality canvas tarp (one that can breathe) to cover our TM and have never had a problem with mildew or moisture.  Everyone to their own, but I think the weather protection is worth the investment.

08-02-2001, 06:03 PM
I once worked at a marina on the east coast, where most folks cover their boats for several months at a time during the winter.  In that era, most of the boat covers were canvas.

The covers were always built on some sort of frame, to allow air to circulate beneath the cover, and then we'd stretch them as tight as possible.  I don't remember ever having a mildew problem.

IMHO, the secret sauce is the air circulation under the cover.

Jon

08-28-2001, 01:50 PM
I just got a verbal quotation (from Coverit.com) for a cover and frame for my 2619. The frame is shaped like a garage with walls and a peak. The dimensions are 24 ft. long x 12 ft. wide x 8 ft. peak. This gives a door opening of 6 ft. The frame is made of steel and the cover is 18 mil polyethylene designed to last for 10 years. It has a flap that closes to completely enclose the unit. It will withstand two feet of snow. Price is $828 plus freight ($200 to Chicago; more or less depending on where you live). Add another $200 or so for 22 mil thickness that is supposed to last 20 years.
We're thinking about it.

Later decided to make an `A' frame using 2 x 4 bolted together at the back end to hold a 3 inch PVC pipe. The other end of the pipe is held by a branch of a tree. This whole thing will cost around $100 and allow air to flow through but keep the snow off due to the angle of the cover. The cover can now be cheap because the material doesn't have to breathe.

Dick B

Dick B.

Happytrails
06-23-2002, 02:07 PM
Guys, I know this is an OLD post, but I felt I should say something about it. Yes, breathable covers are a good thing.......just ask *me*, who's replacing ALL the wood in the front section of my TM. Most of the wood was so bad, it makes the job really easy to do.....it blew out with my air compressor.....yes, all of the wood was rotted from a previous owner leaving it to the elements......

Happytrails......