PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Been to the Chalk Creek Area?

TreecesLoveTrailManor
01-03-2006, 12:26 PM
We are planning our first TrailManor adventure to Colorado this summer! Last summer we took our pop-up to Ridgeway, Lake City and Walsenburg. We are considering the Buena Vista area this year (3 "easy" Fourteeners close by) and wondered if any has a recommended campground or RV park in the Nathrop/BV area. Chalkcreek Campground and Arrowhead RV Park look good...

Fishcat
02-16-2006, 03:30 PM
I live on Chalk Creek during my summer guiding season. Yes, the ChalkCrk campground (at Nathrop where Hwy 285 crosses over the creek) is really nice! The owners there keep it in tiptop shape. It's very popular, tho, so I'd recommend reservations as soon as you know the dates you need.

If you like Nat'l Forest Service campgrounds, there is a nice one on the road up to Mt. Princeton and St. Elmo. (Cascade, I think) There's also one that has just been completely rebuilt 3-4 miles west of the traffic light in Buena Vista - Collegiate Peaks CG. You can make reservations at http://www.reserveusa.com/ for either of these. Keep zooming in on the Colo map until you get them to come up.

4 Seasons downriver from Salida is also good, but not as close to the 14'ers.

If you do make it to BV, drop by the flyshop in town - main hwy across from City Market - and say 'hi.'

Fishcat
aka Carol the Flyfisher
2002 TM 2720SD