PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Va

cmc211
01-03-2006, 08:58 AM
I am moving from Corpus Christi to Norfolk this summer.(Navy) I want to live in the camper until I find a place to live. I am looking for some nice campgrounds in the Norfolk, Virginia Beach area. Thanks, Dave

Caver
01-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I have stayed at the campground at the Amphibious Base and was very pleased with the facilities. It was our first night in the TM and we had a great time. The other campers (mostly Marines and Navy families) were very helpful. You'll need a military or government ID to get on the base. The price is right as well.

Good luck with the move. Ray

Bill & Lisa
01-03-2006, 09:48 PM
I totally agree that the two campgrounds on the military bases are your best bet price wise. Although smaller, I think the one at Dam Neck is nicer and you are very close to the ocean (Dam Neck base has it's own private beaches!) The main negative point about the campground on Little Creek Amphib base is it's proximity to the sewage treatment plant. The oder can be strong if the wind blows the wrong way. While there is a small beach area on Little Creek it is off of an inlet and not the ocean itself. It does have a bird observation site overlooking Marsh land across the street from it.

There are MANY military installations in the "Norfolk" area. Where exactly will you be stationed? IF you are out at the Joint Forces J7 or J9 in Suffolk you wan to look at a Chesapeake or Suffolk area campground.

Oceana, Little Creek, and Dam Neck are all in Virginia Beach. Norfolk itself does not have a campground other than the Camp Appassas Girl Scout campground that I know of and it is not open to the public.

While there are several good campgrounds North of Norfolk (Newport News City park, Langley Air Force Base may have one, and some in Williamsburg) you will soon discover traffic is a BIG consideration around here and you do not want to live on one side of the water and work on the other side and have to traverse one of the numerous Bridge/Tunnels in the area if you can help it.

I can give you more suggestions if you know where in the area you will be working.

Bill

Bill & Lisa
01-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Dave,
I got you some more info on Little Creek when I was out there Saturday (I stow my TM on the base). The Host's name is Dick and the number is 757-462-7282. They currently have 7 open sites. all have concrete pads, elec, water, sewage, and cable TV. They don't take reservations but you can call 24 hours in advance and they will assign you a spot.

Rates are 18/day with the 7th day free so

$108/week
$432/month

There is no max limit between now and 1 May. Ater 1 May to have to be gone for two weeks and then can come and stay for up to 2 months before having to leave for at least 2 weeks again.

Dick said they rarely get smells from the treatment plant.

There are a total of 9 military campgrounds in the area so once you know where you are going to be stationed I can suggest one that might work better for you.

Bill