PDA

View Full Version : Height of trailmanor (with roof ac)

06-15-2002, 09:35 AM
Hi,

we are currently thinking about buying a Trailmanor (2720SL)  :). One of our requirements is that it fits in our garage (height: i measured 80" and length:19'8"). The specification on their website says: height: 63" +13", which means we would have about 4 inches left.

On one of the other posts I read, that the height specification on the website are not correct and the Trailmanors are higher. Does anybody have some more details? What is the real height including roof AC? If the TM height does not fit, are TMs with a side AC still available?

We also would need the swing around tongue. Would a Class 3 hitch with equalizing bars still work? We have a 97 Grand Cherokee (4L). Does anybody have some recommendations?

Thanks a lot! Any info appreciated!

06-16-2002, 01:02 AM
We garage our 2720 and garage-ability is a big reason we wanted a TM.  I was able to remove only the rear bumper to have our fit.  

You are about 1/2 foot shy on the length so the swing tongue option is a solution.  The TM swing tongue is a nicely engineered product.  The tongue accepts a 2" ball.

Height may be a problem.  Call the factory and check with Jimmy Davis about the height.  If so, ask him about the side A/C possibility.  I would bet TM would custom build this to order since each unit is usually built by dealer order.  Also, depending on where and how you plan to camp you might even consider having no A/C.  

hal
06-16-2002, 01:48 AM
It is my understanding that on the latest models of TrailManors, that the roof mounted air conditioner is no longer mounted on the rear roof section.  The forward section is three to four inches higher due to its need to overlap the rear section when both are closed.  Thes means  that the front roof mounted air conditioner  would sit about three to four higher than earlier models.  It has been suggested that this additional height may not clear the top of the garage door opening.

Can anyone verify this?

Also, we have the removable type tongue as compared with the pivoting version. We are able to shorten our trailer by 30" because of it.  The pivotal version shortens the trailer by about 18" (?). We would never be able to get the garage door closed with the pivotal version.   Before you invest in either version, you should do some measuring.

Hal

06-16-2002, 09:51 AM
Hal,

Not only does the unit sit on the higher forward shell but the inside portion of the unit must remain more or less flush to the inner surface so it sits even higher on the forward shell.  I think there is a plastic ABS adapter to do this but someone with a new unit can verify since I only remember seeing these at the factory earlier this year.

So I'm guessing more like 6" higher.  It's pretty close to 7'.

The TM swing tongue is pretty cool as it pivots aside smoothly on a concrete floor -- no heavy parts to handle and no having to provide an second support for the front end.

arknoah
06-17-2002, 01:54 AM
You may also need to measure not only the garage door opening, but the height of the bottom of the garage door when it is opened.  In our case, the bottom of the garage door is about 6" lower than the full height of the opening.

Happytrails
06-17-2002, 10:33 AM
FJ, took me a bit to figure out what you were talking about, but I see what you are saying. How much the bottom of the door hangs down when open. On mine, my automatic garage door opener broke, and as I've not had time to really mess with it, I've just been opening and closing it by hand. Unfortunately what broke it that I didn't realize is one of the cables broke, leaving just one helper spring to raise it. That being the case, (and having to open it manually),  it didn't always stay up by itself, so I took to placing a stick right in the track where the garage door will stay up, as the stick is about 1" higher than the garage door opening, I have NO overhang of the bottom of the garage door. Perhaps this *tip/trick* might help you guys, or someone else. While working on mine, I just happened to have a lot of 1"x 1.5" lengths of lumber around, and it works PERFECT for holding that door up. If you have an automatic garage door opener, pull the handle to disconnect it so you may open it manually.

Hope this helps!
Happytrails.........

arknoah
06-20-2002, 03:06 AM
Bill,

Let me see if that will give me a bit more height.  Thanks!

06-20-2002, 05:41 PM
Remember there's a 4" lift kit (ground clearance) option available.  Sounds like you're thinking of a new trailer since all the previoius year 2720SLs have the window air under the counter.   If you're concerned about height, you probably don't want a trailer with this option.

I doubt the specs on the web site would reflect this.

Just one thing to think about.

Happytrails
06-21-2002, 10:30 AM
It should F.J. Also, make sure it's a small stick so it doesn't stick out causing a side to side clearence problem. I just stick it right in the track and let the metel wheel rest on it........works pretty good!

Happytrails......

Bill
06-28-2002, 02:37 PM
Yup, the roof A/C is mounted on the front roof, on top of a box-like spacer that lifts it a couple inches above the roof.  My '02 2720SL has a Dometic Brisk Air airco, and the rig has an overall height of just barely shy of 7' - maybe 83-1/2 inches. On the other hand, Wade (another frequent poster to this group), has a newer '02 2720SL, and he says his came with a Coleman A/C. There may be a height difference - he would have to measure his unit and tell you.

The swing tongue is great. It is removeable, by the way, though there doesn't seem to be much reason to do so unless you need to get the coupler serviced (as I did). In that case, removeability is a Godsend. And a Class 3 hitch receiver works wonderfully with the swing tongue and an equalizer hitch. My '02 Explorer came equipped with a Class 3 receiver, and a Reese equalizer ball mount just slips in great.

Hope this helps.

Bill

KB7OUR
07-08-2002, 02:53 PM
My 2002 2720SL with the Coleman air and lift kit sits just shy of 7' in height when folded. The roof air is flush mounted inside the TM so there is an extra flange mount on top of the roof that the unit is fixed to.

Wade

Jubolo
04-13-2007, 03:19 PM
I wonder why Trailmanor does not install Penguin Ac's as standard optional equipment.:new_Eyecr

Since they are only 9.5 inches high, it would make the Trailmanor much easier to park/ back into a garage!!!:)

It would lower the total closed trailer height to 78 inches max!!!

Fred

Goodyear Travels
04-13-2007, 08:28 PM
I've noticed that our garage door opening varies from end-to-end by about 3/8 of an inch. I'd be carefull to note how your heights vary across the length of your door opening. Also, my wife and I considered a lift kit upgrade for our '07 2720sl. I set a laser level on the top of the AC unit (with the TM parked in the garage) and aimed it toward the door opening. I, then, caught the beam on a piece of paper and measured the gap at exactly two inches. This was not enough clearance unless we modified the door opening or deflated the tires. The first time you back in you'll still be shouting like most of us, "Honey, are you SURE it's going to clear?" -- even if you've done the math. Have fun.

tfiggins
08-10-2007, 08:53 AM
I have just bought a TM 2619 2004 model got home to find it was to high for garage, The dealer told me the Tm had a lift kit which I am not sure how how much this adds to height, I have looked at relplaceing the A/c with a new model a Carrier Low Profile RV Air Conditioners which is 7 1/2 high . does any one know anthng about this or any ideas as I really would like TM in garage

PopBeavers
08-10-2007, 10:19 AM
The lift kit is approximately 2 inches.

My 2005 TM 2720 with roof mounted a/c fits in my garage, but I did replace the solid swing up door with a roll up door to gain 4 inches of clearance.

This thread should be moved to a different category because it has nothing to do with system announcements.

tfiggins
08-10-2007, 01:23 PM
I do have a roll up door, but as you come into the garage from drive way there is a lip , I will measure again tonight

Bill
08-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Tfiggins -

If you have read the existing threads on this topic (and you should), you have found that there are a couple possibilities.

Is the TM too high to fit under the garage DOOR, or too high to fit through the garage door FRAME? The standard height of a garage door frame is 84". Many times the door opens to only 81 or 82 inches. If this is the problem, the door can usually be lifted 2 or 3 more inches by hand, and a 2x4 propped under it to hold it open. In addition, most door openers have a height adjustment to tell the opener when to stop lifting. You can adjust the open height - I posted a couple pictures in a thread on this topic. So that may help, as well.

Rather than replacing the air conditioner (expensive!), have you considered removing the lift kit? I believe that in 2004, they were simple bolt-ons, and should come off easily. That would gain you about 2 to 2-1/2 inches. Would that get you where you need to be?

Bill

tfiggins
08-10-2007, 02:56 PM
I belive the door frame height is the problem inside the garage is higher.
I will remove the lift kit, Looking at the frame there does not seem any room to higher the frame with out changing the roof line, the roll up door goes back ok, I wll re measure the height from the floor to top of door frame this weekend, as with some older garges the frame seems to sag a little in parts I wll take some photos which may help some one with ideas

Thanks for the reply