PDA

View Full Version : 3326 King - Good for motel room and office?

galyna
11-21-2005, 11:30 AM
My fiance and I are looking at buying some sort of TT or RV that would comfortably house the two of us and our 3 cats for months at a time in an RV park. Our jobs require frequent travel and long stays far from home, and this seems much more practical than a hotel - especially when you figure in our pets! We don't want a big motorhome thing, we DO want something that a Jeep can haul comfortably, we don't want a brick that will sink our gas mileage, and while we want space we DON'T need more than one bed. I can't stand canvas pop-ups. So it looks like a TrailManor might be the way for us to go. I've gone over this website and several others referring to TrailManors and I've still got a few questions.

1) The inside of the top half slides up and down over the outside of the bottom half, right? So how do you keep the road dust, mud, etc. that can get on the outside of the bottom half from staining the curtains and walls of inside of the top half? Is that a worry at all, and if not what makes it work right? I've read that you can raise and lower them in the rain without anything getting wet, but we're not sure we understand the mechanics of it.

2) Do you think two adults and three cats could comfortably share the space of a 3326 King for, say, four months running? How do the layout and the amenities hold up over long-term use, if power and such are supplied through the park?

3) I realize that maintenance on ANY type of TT is something you need to stay on top of. Is the TrailManor better, worse, or about average in this department? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined!

4) Appealing features of this particular layout are the two expanding tables by the sofa. Those would be ideal places for us to set up our laptops and get to work. How sturdy are the tables? Will they support a laptop, paperwork, and maybe a drink? And when both are opened out, is there any space between them? Clearing the surface and lowering the table every time we need to get a new file or a drink seems a bit annoying to me.

5) Is there available floorspace to add a very small folding table or a 2-drawer filing cabinet? We need some place to organize and store whatever we're working on.

The nearest dealer is a bit away, and we can't spare the time right now to drive a few hours to go look at one. We're hoping to have the decision pretty much made before we hit a dealer. Any advice here would be helpful!

~galyna

Queeniereads
11-21-2005, 12:30 PM
1) The inside of the top half slides up and down over the outside of the bottom half, right? So how do you keep the road dust, mud, etc. that can get on the outside of the bottom half from staining the curtains and walls of inside of the top half? Is that a worry at all, and if not what makes it work right? I've read that you can raise and lower them in the rain without anything getting wet, but we're not sure we understand the mechanics of it.

My answer: There is cushioning that keeps it fairly clean. The only place I have had trouble is on the 4 miles of dirt roads up my sister’s mountain. As for the curtains, you should wash your TM occasionally, but for average use, close all your curtains before putting down the unit and you will not find dirty curtains when you put it back up. There are a few accumulating streaks on the interior, but they are minor.

2) Do you think two adults and three cats could comfortably share the space of a 3326 King for, say, four months running? How do the layout and the amenities hold up over long-term use, if power and such are supplied through the park?

My answer:I assume there is one that is the equivalent to our 3124 KS which has the sofa at the end and a king size bed at the other. We find it just fine for the 2 of us for lengthy times. I think I would like the dinette which you have in the longer unit. We do not have pets so I cannot speak to that. I should have looked at floorplans before I answered this -- sorry.

3) I realize that maintenance on ANY type of TT is something you need to stay on top of. Is the TrailManor better, worse, or about average in this department? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined!

My answer: Watch for screws loosening up occasionally. That is the only maintenance we have done, except that hubby installed vent covers on all the top vents so everything would be airy even in the rain. He also put window louvers (plastic) over two windows so they coud stay open in the rain. We like the TM a lot and have not had much trouble with maintenance. Our drawers in the chest broke while traveling, but our tm dealer fixed them right away for us. And, do not forget to put the awning down in case a storm comes -- we did and had to buy a new one.

4) Appealing features of this particular layout are the two expanding tables by the sofa. Those would be ideal places for us to set up our laptops and get to work. How sturdy are the tables? Will they support a laptop, paperwork, and maybe a drink? And when both are opened out, is there any space between them? Clearing the surface and lowering the table every time we need to get a new file or a drink seems a bit annoying to me.

My answer: You can get out between them if you do not put the extra leaf in. Yes they are sturdy. We use laptops on them and eat on them and read the paper on them, etc. No inconvenience noted except I miss having a true dinette. BUt for a work space they are very handy.

5) Is there available floorspace to add a very small folding table or a 2-drawer filing cabinet? We need some place to organize and store whatever we're working on.

My answer: In our TM we put extras between the drawer set and the sofa. The only problem is moving them when you put down the unit because the slider with the sofa on it moves in. We even substituted a real recliner for the chair they put in there because I have a back problem. You have to buy a small, low model of recliner. We bought a plug in cooler and that is what sits between our dresser and sofa in the living room. BUt that would be the extra space for the filing cabinet or whatever.

The nearest dealer is a bit away, and we can't spare the time right now to drive a few hours to go look at one. We're hoping to have the decision pretty much made before we hit a dealer. Any advice here would be helpful!

My answer: No advice except we decided to buy it the first time we saw it. Loved it. We had had a bad accident with a full size travel trailer and wanted something we could pull safely with an SUV. We bought a hefty hitch and E-qualizer sway system and have had no problems. The TM is a well crafted invention.

Bill
11-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Galyna -

Long-term stays in a TM have been discussed a couple times. Since I have't done it, I will simply refer you to a couple of the threads.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196

My immediate concern is that you are expecting to tow it with a Jeep. What model Jeep? And how is it equipped (engine, rear end ratio, does it have a factory tow package, etc)? It appears that only the Grand Cherokee with one of the V-8 engines will be adequate - and even that will be pretty iffy.

The 3326 is the heaviest TM with a 3500 pound dry weight. If you add some factory options, and then load it with all the "stuff" you need for an extended stay - well, my guess is that when you are ready for the road, you will have at least 5000 pounds of trailer behind your Jeep. I'm not a tow vehicle expert, but that is a lot unless you stay on the perfectly flat terrain of the midwest. My guess is that towing in any mountains will not be fun. On the other hand, if you simply want to get there and set up and stay, and you don't mind spending some time in the "getting there" part, you will probably be OK.

By the way, as you already know, TMs are considered lightweight trailers. A standard travel trailer of this size would run about 8000 pounds.

Bill

BobRederick
11-21-2005, 12:45 PM
galyna,

Answer 1) The top half does indeed come down over the bottom half. Between them are seals ~1 inch thick all around the edges and attached to the top half. The owners manual says to close the curtains to make opening & closing easier (apparently the curtrains drag). I haven't any indication they drag on the outside shell on any of the windows. The curtains are still clean after maybe 3000 miles and 20 or 30 setups. Some folks clean the outside before folding, but I don't.

Answer 2) I have a friend who pulls a 3326 from indiana to az and stays in it all winter. They are retired with no pets. They do it over & over, so it works for them. They stay in a travel trailer park with all the amenities including ball room, hobby rooms, computers, dining, mail rooms, etc. I bought mine with this in mind as well. Maybe 1 month on the road to start with. We haven't done that yet. Only you can know if it is enough space. Its like a one-room motel studio layout. If you can stand that, you can probably stand the TM. OTOH, I don't know of anyone else doing that.

Answer 3) I can't really answer that with authority as I don't have experience with other campers. I have used a Coleman for 10 years. This won't take the rough roads like a Coleman. You will get dust inside and seal wear against the walls and ciellng. Some think it is top of the line. It does need repair. It isn't a home as you appear to understand and needs a lot more maintenance than a home. I think I would place it about in the middle of the group considering motorhomes and travel trailers. They all need work to stay on the road. Some need a lot and it can be very expensive in a motor home. Meantime it is in a dealership being worked on.

Answer 4) I think you will like the galley and dinette layout a lot for your intended use. You can reach into the refrig, the oven or stove top, and the pantry without getting out of the chair. You are not carying food over the carpet. You will not have to take down your office to eat or play cards or watch TV.

The tables do not close in the center. There is a leaf ~18 or 24 inches wide that does close the gap if you want it. The gizmo that lowers the leg is easy to run down too far and drop out the end. This is a standard camper leg, so not probably different from another camper and you will quickly learn how to lower the leg without pulling it out. And yes, it will support a laptop. I have used it to build a model plane on. It is pretty sturdy, but not something for a person to sit on. It is a foam core table with wood laminated over it just as all the other counter tops and dinette are.

Answer 5) The 3326 friends of mine had a Costco rack of drawers that looks like a small filing cabinet. It was placed beside the refrigerator. You can see from the floor plan on the web site how many square feet there are to work with. Print the floor plan out, blow it up, and put paper doll furniture on it. I use door hangers to make hooks to hang things like trash bag, duffle bag, etc from the wall at cabinet height. They go under the velcro.

I think you will be taking out the lounge chair to get the floor space you need, but maybe the chair is where you will work. You might want to purchase a 2nd hanging cabinet and figure where you would hang it.

I hope that helps. Remember, this is my opinion only. YMMV. I had in mind what you are planning when I purchased mine. DW is not very well at this time and we haven't been able to take advantage of it or I could tell you more. I absolutely love the times we have spent in it. I go over my photos over and over and love every minute of it. Last trip was to Rocky Point Mexico which left fond memories indeed.

Best wishes.

hal
11-21-2005, 01:46 PM
I am not a fan of the couch and the tables that fold upward for use. It is comparable with sitting on a couch and eating off a television tray. To prevent dropping food in your lap, you need to sit on the forward edge of the couch. As for doing a log of typing on you computer, I personally feel, your back wouild give out. This folding table does not cover your lap but its near edge is located at the front edge of the couch. Also, the tables are a bit high for typing. I would recommend that you get creative and build a desk in which you both could sit while in a chair. As far the TM being a substitute for a small office, I think you could modify it so that working will not be as strenuous on your back, neck and legs.

As to getting out to get a drink, I find that there is nothing really solid to help pull you out and through the opening between the two tables. I have found that I need to "throw" my body forward until I can get a firm grip on the floor.

Hal

Walt Spangler
11-21-2005, 04:33 PM
We tow a 2005 2720SL TM with a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, V8 and have no trouble. Incidently, the Jeep just turned over 100,000 miles and runs fine.
We have spent up to 4 days "locked In" due to rain and found it comfortable, even with our two small dogs.

Walt Spangler

RockyMtnRay
11-21-2005, 09:31 PM
The previous posts on this thread have pretty well summed the situation. I'll add just a few comments about using the trailer as mobile office. First, I should explain that I'm a self-employed software developer so I can...and do...work anywhere I want and pretty much whenever I want. Accordingly I take my laptop on most of my trips and do a couple of hours of work in the morning or evening and then spend the rest of the day outside hiking/biking/kayaking/etc. My TM is the 2720SL, the living room of which is virtually identical to the living room area of the 3326K. Now to your specific office type questions...

I regularly setup both of the front side tables on arrival and leave them setup during my entire stay. They are indeed sufficiently sturdy for eating or holding the laptop, cell phone, various chargers, etc. As a fairly tall/trim (34 inch inseam/33 inch waist) and very physically fit guy, I have zero problem slipping through the roughly 18 inch gap between the tables or getting off/on the couch. So I personally don't think there's any reason to drop either table just to go get a drink or whatever.

That being said, even I find the tables are a bit far from the couch to use as a worksurface if you are seated on the couch. So when I'm ready to go to work, I sit in the overstuffed chair and literally use my laptop as a laptop computer. I find this a very comfy way to get software written. :D

Yes, if you don't get the optional 2nd chair or chest, there's a decently sizable empty area between the trailer door and door-side fold down table on the slide. I bought a pair of low cabinets to go here...they hold extra pantry items, have a drawer for "stuff", and the tops provide a good place to plunk my outdoor gear such as backpacks. You could easily fit a 2-drawer file cabinet there.

However...very, very important however...anything you put there has to be light enough or small enough to be moved into the center of the trailer when you fold up for travel and push the front slide in. Always keep in mind that nearly all of the spacious "living room" virtually disappears when that front slide is pushed in for travel. When you do visit a dealer, ask to see how much floor area is lost when the front slide on a 2720SL, 3124KS, or 3326K is pushed in.

A final note...as Bill mentioned above, if you're thinking Grand Cherokee (with V8) or the new full sized Commander when you say "jeep", then a 3326 is a doable size, even in the mountains. But if you're thinking Liberty (or Wrangler) or the old regular Cherokee, then think again. The smaller Jeeps simply don't have enough wheelbase or torque to handle the long and heavy 3326.

rockerga
12-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Stupid question time and I can elaborate at a later date: How do I know if I received the "optional three drawer chest" on my new 2720SL? What should I be looking for when I am inside? (I bought new and my mother-in-law passed away during my delivery so I did not and have not been inside YET and they missed almost every other option we ordered and waited 8 weeks for so....

BrigCA61
12-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Here's what it looks like (see attached photo).

Brigitte

amp17408
12-23-2005, 07:40 AM
Queenie, which covers did your hubby get for the overhead vents and side windows?

Thanks for any info.

Queeniereads
12-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Hubby used the Maxxair roof vent covers, Maxxair ceiling fan rain covers, and the Maxxair louvered window vent. Be sure to remember to notch the rubber gasket on the window vents as instructed of you will get water inside (of course, hubby reembered it on all windows -- LOL). These are in all of those RV catalogs from dealers. Queeniereads aka Judi

Bill & Lisa
12-23-2005, 09:36 AM
There is a picture of one in the online gallery on the TrailManor website.

http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Showroom/Gallery/images/DSCF6458L.jpg

This is the URL to bring up a picture of the 3 drawer dresser/night stand.

Sorry for your family's loss of a member

Merry Christmas!

Bill