PDA

View Full Version : Survived the flood

07-06-2002, 02:29 PM
Yes indeed, we were there not far from San Antonio this past week. Actually, we left Saturday, June 29th for a week of camping in Canyon Lake, near New Braunfels, TX. Before leaving, we checked the weather report. Yes, rain was in the forecast, but around here in July it doesn't usually rain much, so we proceeded with our trip. It rained all the way there. Luckily, the rain stopped briefly when we arrrived, giving us just enough time to set up our camp. As soon as we entered our TM the rain started. It was a hard rain, in copiuos amounts. It rained on us continously until Wednesday morning. Raindrops on the roof were tolerable the first couple of days, but by Wednesday I was really longing for peace and quiet. The drops pounded our roof really hard, the volume on the TV was turned up to the max., yet we  could not hear it.  Wednesday afternnon we were able to get out and do a little shopping, but the rain would not give up.
I woke up around 4:45 Thursday morning, July 4th. I peeked out the bedroom window and saw a star. But I also saw lighting in the distance. I knew the clouds were rolling back in. I got out of bed to watch the weather report, it was all that was on anyway. I listened as they reported that campers, and residents south of the dam would have to evacuate. They were preparing to open the flood gates and this would mean flooding these areas, as well as residential areas along the Guadalupe. This would include us. I quickly made my husband aware. At around 6:00 AM we received a knock on our door. We were ordered to evacuate the area. We were given 20 minutes. The woman said "if you think you have time to take your camper go ahead, but I think you might have to leave it". My husband and I looked at  each other, without a second thought we decided to take it with us. Yes, it took us longer, but we made it out of there okay, all of us, including my trailer. We heard reports the next day, that the area we had been camping at was 15 feet under water.
I have to say, our unit held up to that horrible weather beautifully. We did get a little leaking around the antenna, and around one of the windows, but considering the amout of rain it endured, our trailer did really well.  :)
Red.....a very proud owner

Denny_A
07-06-2002, 03:45 PM
Hey Red,

I'm sure TrailManor will be willing to pay a "small" reward for leak testing (and testamonial) under extremis!

A special TM "Monsoon" medal maybe?

We endured somewhat similar conditions (but, not the duration) this winter in Tennessee. Same result. Stayed dry and warm - just had a small case of ringing ears the next day. Oh, right. I always have ringing ears!  :o

Congrats for escaping WITH your TM, et al.

Denny_A

07-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Thank you Danny,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. That  entire week seems like a really bad dream now. We were happy to come back home to near 100 degrees and sunny weather. :)
Red

07-10-2002, 10:31 AM
:-[  OOPS, I'm sorry Denny, I mispelled your name.
Red

Happytrails
07-10-2002, 10:35 AM
Well, I'm just glad you were able to get out of there on time with everything intact. Perhaps you should chock up this first "adventure" like army basic training does when they put ya in the gas chamber to show ya how well your "Gas mask" works.  (Instilling trust in your equipment). lol  At least now ya know how bad things can be, yet how comfortable ya were, got to be better the next time huh!!!  :D

Happytrails........