PDA

View Full Version : Towing with Grand Caravan

Wrench
07-16-2002, 02:33 PM
Hi all. I just registered after finding this site a few days ago, and am picking up my new 1995 3023 in Redding, CA in a week. Not many of these puppys out west as far as I can tell, but I've been looking for one for a while and called around and found a sleeper while in Redding to pick up my 14 yr. old basketball playing son from BB camp there a week ago. 119 deg. F in the shade when I was there. Ouch!

I'll be picking up the TM and pulling it home with my '99 AWD Grand Caravan equipped with 3.8L V6. Today I added a modest Trans cooler to the already equipped radiator and aux. trans cooler, and plan to add an engine oil cooler in a few weeks (I just won and ebay auciton for one, but don't have it yet).

The deal, includes trailer wiring and an load eq/hitch. My question is, How many TM owners tow with a Caravan, and is it adequate for the task? I've towed a severly overladed uitlity trailer in the past and had plenty of power for the job, but am concerned that the TM may be too much for it. The '95 3023 was supposedly 2,5XX lbs. The AWD GC is rated to tow 3,000 lbs.

Chris
07-16-2002, 04:16 PM
Welcome to the board, glad you found us.   ;D  I used to tow with a ford windstar.  The windstar didn't have the rear axle like your caravan does, but had more horsepower.  I thought the combination was very good.  We towed it from NM to NJ, and had a great time.  You are wise to add the coolers.  I recommend them for everyone no matter what you tow with.  I don't think you will have issues, but learn how the two handle together.  I was glad that I did when we almost hit a car that was stalling on I40.  I passed him doing about 55 and had to do an emergency procedure to miss him.  Knowing how the rig towed and handled helped a bunch.  Read up here and on the other board for info.  Welcome to the group.
Ct..

RickNewcomb
07-17-2002, 03:24 AM
I tow my TM2619 with a '99 Grand Voyager with no problems. The only time I wish I had more power is when I'm in the mountains. But the mountains out here in the east hardly stack up to those of the west.

Denny_A
07-17-2002, 04:36 PM
If I may,  here are a few points to ponder, re the GC towing limit.

The current 3023, is listed in the 2002 TrailManor brochure as  Approx. Dry Weight = 2730 lb.

If the '95 3023 is truly 25xx lbs, that would be without Optional Equipment, methinks.

My 2002  2720SL is listed as Dry Weight = 2680 lbs. But I have AC / Awning / Spare tire / etc. options. A placard inside the entry door lists the Dry Weight (UVW)  = 2965 lbs.; with 40  lbs. of propane it's 3005 lbs. The options added 285 lbs, and its up to 325 lbs w/propane. I have weighed my trailer on certified truck scales, seperated from the tow vehicle - 3020 lbs.

With any of the above listed weighty optional equipment , your unit could be closer to 28xx lbs (with propane) and no fluids on board. Doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for carrying camping stuff.

Maybe you could ask the seller to quote the UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) from the placard in the trailer - if it is still there.

Another issue is the Gross Combined Weight Rating of the Grand Caravan. Something like 8000 lbs or 8500 lbs or whatever from the manual. If it were a sufficiently high value, you might have to carry most of the "stuff" in the van to avoid exceeding 3000 lbs tow weight limit, while simultaneously not exceeding GCWR. Could get real old - transferring stuff to-from the trailer at each set-up / takedown event!

Denny_A