PDA

View Full Version : new tm owners

04-22-2002, 11:31 AM
hi everyone, have enjoyed your site, we have been reading all the information we could on tm so we decided to buy one. we found a 2001 at dealer and have had it for a month went camping one time so far and had a great time, had small water leak to get fixed and noise on front section when closingbut dealer fixed both items. my question is i was a little hesitate in buying because i own 1989 ford f-150 with 4.9L 300-six eng with 3.08 rear end with 5 speed manual overdrive trans. dealer said this would be no problem towing with this combination. any comments on this? seems to tow ok just alittle skeptical i guess . thanks in advance we have model 3023!                              emma

Paul_Heuvelhorst
04-22-2002, 05:13 PM
Welcome to the site and TM ownership, EMMA.  Like the other TM owners on this site you will enjoy your ownership.  You didn't mention the model number of your TM, so answering your question about the adequacy of your F150 is generic.

TM's, for the most part, weigh less than 3500 lbs. loaded and ready to tow, after you put your stuff in it and fill the fresh water tank.  Our 1998 2619 weighed 3100 in 'travel mode.'

Your F150 should be able to handle that, but be prepared to stay in the right hand lane when you climb mountain grades... you may not be able to maintain 40-45 mph if the grade is 6% or greater.

Enjoy your new toy.

KB7OUR
05-06-2002, 08:11 AM
After reading about some issues with the Magnetek coverter provided with the TMs, I have a very simple question. Can you plug in an AC TV, radios, and other electrical gadgets or do I need to buy some kind of line filter or even upgrade the converter to a better model to use AC devices? Does the answer vary if you are dry docked vs not?

Wade

Still waiting on our new 2720SL

05-06-2002, 10:16 AM
If you plug into the 12v receptacle as provided then you will get on a 12v circuit conditioned by the battery and its low interference charging circuit.

05-06-2002, 10:34 AM
Well, I have to reply to my own reply.  My wife says that only an electrical engineer would understand my last post.

Yes, you can plug in a TV or a radio to the 12v plug without the need for any line filters.  This doesn't change whether you're dry docked or hooked up.  Of course most TVs and radios can be hooked up directly to A/C.

I hope this is clear.

KB7OUR
05-06-2002, 12:21 PM
I am trying to determine if there is any need to purchase a TV with a DC converter since they cost more. I think I understand that I can simply use the AC plug whether dry docked or not without any problem and therefore do not need a AC/DC TV.

Wade

05-06-2002, 01:11 PM
Wade,

Your assumption about using your AC/DC TV is incorrect.  The TM's CONverter distributes the 12V DC (produced by itself or the 12V "house" battery), and when connected to 110 VAC, it produces the 12V DC and charges the house battery.  It is not capable of producing 110 VAC power.  (INverters, a separate third party device, do that.)  

If you want to watch TV when dry docking, you will need a AC/DC TV so you can power it with 12V DC, (none of the campers 110VAC receptacles will be "live"), or an INverter plugged into one of the 12V sockets, sufficiently sized to power a 110VAC TV.

Sure hope I dodn't confuse you too much!    :P

KB7OUR
05-06-2002, 02:33 PM
Thanks, RickS. I do think I understand now. When you refer to a 12v receptacle in the TM, do you mean one of the cigarette lighter socket variety?

Wade

05-06-2002, 10:18 PM
Yes Wade,

That is correct.  The "standard" 12V DC receptacle is the cigarette lighter.  The TM comes standard with one by the refrigerator for a TV.  I've added two more lighter sockets to my unit to power 12V oscillating fans that we can use in each bedroom area.  I chose the 12V fans so we could use them when dry docking.

Happy Camping !

Larry_Loo
05-07-2002, 02:38 AM
Wade,
In a previous message on a different thread I mentioned that Sears was selling 13" Sylvania color TVs with VCR and dual AC/DC voltage capability for $199.95. This price is $115 less than Camping World's discounted price. We bought one and it turned out to be an excellent TV. The last time that I walked through our Sears store, about 2 weeks ago, they were still selling the 13" TVs. You may want to look for it in your local Sears store. ::)

KB7OUR
05-07-2002, 08:24 AM
Larry, this is an excellent price for an ac/dc model 13" TV. I think I'll buy it. BTW, Camping World will price match plus discount it further for members.

Wade

KB7OUR
05-21-2002, 10:54 AM
Our new TM has arrived at the dealer. We'll go pick
it up in 9 days. I voiced many concerns I read from this
group during manufacturing and so am hoping that
everything is in good order. Mostly, I was concerned
about the hold-down latches coming loose or being
over-drilled. TM says some owners have too much
tension on the latches. They are not designed to "hold down"
the top, but rather to "secure" it. If yours are pulling the
top down with a lot of tension, this could be a problem
and you likely need some adjustments. Anyhow, I'll
report again upon home base arrival. Thanks to all for
your terrific opinions and ideas.

Wade

arknoah
05-22-2002, 02:04 AM
Wade,

Thanks for that update.  My only response is that I haven't added any pressure on the latches, and only assume that it is secure the tops.  The corner latches (or clips), I thought were designed to do that, though I would still argue that the other latches should be strong enough to keep the shells down if you forget the corner clips.

Happytrails
05-26-2002, 04:35 AM
Wall Mart has a 12v power inverter 600watts right now for like only $50.00 in the automotive section. A telecorder usually only requires about 120 Watts to function, so that leaves a lot left over for fans and such. I am going to install it in the TV stand in my old 3023. (Two chair option) It fits PERFECTLY inside it on one of the shelves. I'm considering permenantly mounting it with a hole cut so's I can access the 120v outlets like a regular outlet, and cutting a hole to run a small 12v fan to keep it cool on the backside of the cabinet I'll purchase at Radio Shack. I'll simply patch the fan into the same 12v line that runs to the inverter, and run the 12v line through the same hole tied to the same wire, that the 120v socket's wiring goes. Does anyone know if sheilding will be an issue if I group the 120v AC line along with the 12v DC line? (I.e. cable tied together?)

Bill
05-27-2002, 04:32 AM
There is nothing wrong with running the two cables through the same hole.

I don't want to rain on the parade, but I'm not sure you are going to be happy with an inverter. They consume an enormous amount of battery power. That's why the big megabuck motor homes have a big slide-out tray of huge batteries if they expect to have to use an inverter instead of a generator.

Consider this. You mentioned a 120-watt load, a TV, I think. Now at 120 volts, this loads represents 1 amp of current. But at 12 volts, it represents 10 amps of current. So the inverter has to draw 10 amps out of the battery to supply this 120 watt load.

And that is only if the inverter is 100% efficient. Unfortunately, they aren't anywhere near 100% efficient, especially when lightly loaded. That means that a 600-watt inverter, loaded at only 120 watts, would draw a lot more than 10 amps of battery current - I would bet more like 20 amps.

There are a lot of losses in an inverter, especially a cheap one - that's why they run warm, and you have to fan-cool them if they are in a confined space.

If you have a special use that absolutely demands 120vac power, and doesn't need it for very long- I'm thinking a medical device or something - then an inverter can be a lifesaver. But for everything else, the TM just doesn't have enough battery capacity to make this a practical device. Sorry.

Bill

05-27-2002, 06:00 PM
:D :D :D :D
Greetings fellow TrailManor Owners!  We have just joined the gang by purchasing a used 1995 3023 TM.  Have been wanting a camper for some time, but my husband said it had to fit in the garage.  I was so pleased to learn about TMs.  Ours fits with 1/2" to spare!  We live just outside of Houston, Tx, and have a TM dealer close, but drove all the way to Auburn, NY to purchase our trailer because we couldn't find a used one closer.  The neighbors stop in to see the new attraction which has been dubbed "pumpkin" because it changes from one thing to another so easily just like in Cinderalla. Everyone agrees it beats paying for storage and is impressed with the large amount of space.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed so much on various topics.  We poured over all the info and were well informed before we even went to the dealer and started looking.  Though used, our TM is still in great shape and we enjoyed camping on our way home - even in downpours that my husband was sure would produce leaks - but not a drop.  

We have the old fashioned screen type of awning that takes quite a bit of time and energy to unfold and put up.  The new TMs come with the kind that just roll out.  Do you use it enough to merit changing old to new?  I haven't checked to see what it cost since our local TM dealer was closed for the holiday, but it seems like it would be an easy switch.  

Can't wait to do some camping and hope to run into some fellow TM campers in our journeys.  ;D :D ;) :)

rummy74

05-28-2002, 03:02 AM
The awning that comes with the TM is so easy to use.  Here is the link to the company:
http://www.fiamma.it/usa/prod_usa/usaframeproduct.html

05-30-2002, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info on the new TM awning.  I will be checking into the website and finding out about the new ones since they appear to be so much easier and quicker than the older ones! ;D

05-31-2002, 11:46 AM
Before you invest in a new awning I suggest you try camping a few times to see if you have a need to use the old awning. In order for the awning to be of any use you have to pull into a site so that the RV faces approximately southeast. This means that the awning would be on the southwest which is where the hot sun sets. Any other direction and the awning is just so much decoration.
In addition, if the weight of the replacement awning differs materially from the original the torsion bars on the TrailManor may have to be changed. Plus, there is no guarrantee that the new awning will fit in the same place with the same mounting brackets. A visit to the Fiamma website will show you how complicated adding an awning really is.
Dick_B

06-01-2002, 02:44 PM
Dick B:

Thanks for the info.  Have checked the website and been to the dealer.  We will camp this summer and decide if we would use a new one enough to merit replacement.  The only thing wrong with the old one is the plastic end caps are cracked and we had to tape them up on the way home.  It is a Catalina 2500 and understand the newer awnings are much simpler to use.   By summers end we should know if this is something worth the investment.

Appreciate your help,

Debbie ;D ;D ;D

07-22-2002, 12:19 AM
After much thought and research, we have decided to become TrailManor owners. My thanks to all who contribute to this site and share the wealth of knowledge and experience that exists among everyone.  Since we could not easily find a used unit, we have ordered a new 2003 model 3023 that should be delivered around Aug. 6th. We will be towing with a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. My thought is to set up with a W/D hitch with sway control. The dealer recommends a Reese hitch. Does anyone have any thoughts on the brands of hitches - Reese, Equalizer, Hensley, DrawTite?
Also, any thoughts on Transmission cooler - good idea? We live in Florida but will definitely be planning some trips to the mountains to escape this heat. I appreciate any comments that are shared.   :)  

oilspot
07-22-2002, 12:54 AM
I own a 2001 Pathfinder and it seems to handle the load well.

Dealer said I didn't need a trans cooler, but their logic about capacity and trans design didn't impress me.  My RV dealer wanted about $160 labor to install one, so I bought one from Pep Boys and installed myself in just a couple hours.  I also run Amsoil synthetic trans fluid, which keeps things cooler too!

Your PF shouldn't need the sway controller.  These trailers are meticulously designed to minimize sway.  

Good Luck with your purchase and Happy Camping!

Denny_A
07-22-2002, 02:39 AM
Videoguy wrote:

>My thought is to set up with a W/D hitch with sway control. The dealer recommends a Reese hitch. Does anyone have any thoughts on the brands of hitches - Reese, Equalizer, Hensley, DrawTite?<

I posted the below in another thread:

--> I'm towing a 2720SL with a Honda Odyssey. All I use is a $190 weight distribution unit. After 6900 miles of towing in less than 5 months - not a single sway concern. The weight dist. unit I bought can be seen at:

http://www.mooretruckaccessories.com/mooretruckaccessories/Weight_Distribution.html

--> It's basic, yet works like a champ - w/out sway control! I chose the 750# Deluxe Adjustable. Shipping about $30 from CA to WI.  My TrailManor dealer sold the identical unit for much, much more.

HTH

Denny_A

07-22-2002, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the input.
DenTed, are you using a Trans. cooler also?

07-22-2002, 05:29 AM
Videoguy wrote:

>My thought is to set up with a W/D hitch with sway control. The dealer recommends a Reese hitch. Does anyone have any thoughts on the brands of hitches - Reese, Equalizer, Hensley, DrawTite?<

I posted the below in another thread:

--> I'm towing a 2720SL with a Honda Odyssey. All I use is a $190 weight distribution unit. After 6900 miles of towing in less than 5 months - not a single sway concern. The weight dist. unit I bought can be seen at:

http://www.mooretruckaccessories.com/mooretruckaccessories/Weight_Distribution.html

--> It's basic, yet works like a champ - w/out sway control! I chose the 750# Deluxe Adjustable. Shipping about $30 from CA to WI. My TrailManor dealer sold the identical unit for much, much more.

HTH

Denny_A

Denny, was this Weight Distribution hitch easy to install yourself?  Also, was anything else needed to connect it that didn'i come with it.  I have a Nissan Quest Minivan that I plan on towing my 2720SL with.  I have not had a hitch installed yet.  If I can just get a standard class 3 hitch and the brake controller installed by the dealer. It would save a nice amount if I can do the weight Distribution myself.  

Dave

Denny_A
07-22-2002, 08:05 AM
Denny, was this Weight Distribution hitch easy to install yourself?  Also, was anything else needed to connect it that didn'i come with it.  I have a Nissan Quest Minivan that I plan on towing my 2720SL with.  I have not had a hitch installed yet.  If I can just get a standard class 3 hitch and the brake controller installed by the dealer. It would save a nice amount if I can do the weight Distribution myself.  

Dave

Actually my dealer installed it. He wasn't real happy about it, since he sells the same unit - for $100 more.

But, he got over it, since he also sold me the brake controller, installed my class 3 hitch/receiver and made some money doing it.

The Wt. Dist (WD) unit comes with instructions. Although the instructions can be somewhat befuddling, it only takes about 6 or 7 readings to figure it out(  :-/ ). Ya just have to take care during final height adjustment and determing the proper tension to be placed on the chains when loading the snap-up bracket.  Key: the tow vehicle should be nearly level when hooked up.

You'll need a 2" ball. WD comes with a couple of bushings so that two different diameter bolts (which attach the ball) can be accommodated. Bushings prevent slop in the mounting hole of the WD unit.

So, it is quite complete. Delivery took about a week .

HTH - and just kidding about 6-7 readings; only 4 or 5.  ;D

Denny_A

Happytrails
07-22-2002, 01:02 PM
Video guy, installation of a trans cooler is VERY important. Nowadays, the new car manufacturers are replacing out all of the radiator transmission coolers with external coolers for just about ALL vehicles. The idea is that tho they cool when the transmission fluid gets hotter than the water temp, the hot water can heat up the transmission fluid as well. At 240 degrees, you start to have damage to the clutches, at 260, even more damage results to other parts in your transmission. Most transmission shops will replace out your radiator cooler completely with an external when they rebuild your transmission at an additional cost. Someone mentioned installing an aftermarket cooler....WARNING! These kits generally come with these little plastic thingys that go thru the rad and condenser, and have little plastic retaining disks to hold them in place. Problem? Those little plastic "thingys" eventually rub a hole through the radiator and condensor from vibration. That is why new car manuf. mount them on brackets AWAY from the condenser. I woul suggest if you install your own, spend a few bucks extra and get you something to make a bracket out of at Lowes. Guys, I do know what I'm talking about.....my family has been in the automotive radiator/condenser distribution business for 17 years, and the very FIRST ones on the whole east coast  to do what we do. We've seen it over and over throughout the years. BTW, if anyone is in need of a radiator/condensor/heater core, or gas tank.....let me know....I can shoot it straight at your door via the little guy in brown for a lot less than probably anyone else. (Besides, don't ya just love it when the little brown truck stops in front of *your* house?)  ::)

Happytrails.......

Happytrails
07-22-2002, 01:39 PM
PS....

Your transmission cooler shouldn't be too hard to install as it uses a slip on connection opposed to screw in connections that all the US built stuff uses except for *some* Chrysler stuff that does use the "hose barb" connections. Won't be easy to get to tho as I believe you have a downflow radiator......which means your radiator tanks are on the top and bottom, (as opposed to on the sides), which means your trans lines go into the radiator on the bottom. Take a look under your hood and see if I'm right......... ;) When you do that, picture a little aluminum tube that goes in one side, and comes out the other side......and imagine what it really does for your trans fluid rushing through being surrounded by hot water for a split second or so....then picture it going though something significant with much cooler air flowing through it and lots of cooling fins as is the case of an external cooler. (GM's and Fords are different, having up to an 11" 7 plate TOC, {transmission oil cooler}, in the radiator tank, but I'd still recommend one anyway). Sometime I should snap a pic of one to show everyone what it is that actually is supposed to cool your tranny.......if that doesn't convince ya, nothing will!  :o

Happytrails.............