PDA

View Full Version : How hard to replace carpet?

07-23-2002, 10:06 AM
Has anyone ever replaced the carpet in their TM?  If so, how did it go?  I have a 98 2720SL that the sun could have been kinder to.  I would like to just replace the carpet, obviously the cost would be low.  It is the labor that keeps away.

Thanks,

Dave

Happytrails
07-23-2002, 10:57 AM
If it's just faded, and not torn up or cig burns in it, I'd look into just dying it. Matter of fact, I'd bet that's a service a carpet store might offer. If not, fabric dye can be had at any automotive finish store for a reasonable price.........Just a thought.....

Happytrails.......

07-23-2002, 11:56 AM
That was what I planning on doing, but wanted to hear if anyone has actually replaced.

I figured you had replaced yours for sure, I guess not.

Dave

KB7OUR
07-23-2002, 11:57 AM
Here's one vote for replacing that carpet with linoleum. We ordered our TM with all linoleum and simply love it. Just wipe with a damp rag to clean. Purchased a couple of matching throw rugs from WalleyWorld which can simply be shaken out when they get dirty. Throw them away then they are no longer "cleanable". This is by far one of the best choices we made when we ordered our TM.

Wade

shunter917
07-23-2002, 12:05 PM
I definitely vote for the all linoleum approach. We are very glad we didn't get carpet. Throw rugs can be washed and the floor stays alot cleaner.

07-23-2002, 12:59 PM
I think I will try the dye approach first.  If I don't like the way that came out, I probably will go with linoleum.  It seems easier then putting carpet down.

However, it looks like the flooring went in before most of the contents.  WHich will make it much tougher to replace.

Bill
07-24-2002, 01:12 AM
Here's one vote for replacing that carpet with linoleum. We ordered our TM with all linoleum and simply love it. Just wipe with a damp rag to clean.
Wade

I like Wade's idea. Does anyone have any idea what is under the carpet? Does the linoleum continue under there, or is there an ugly subfloor of some kind? If the latter, it is unlikely I could match the factory linoleum, so I would be faced with either two different linoleum patterns, or replacing all of the linoleum.

Bill

arknoah
07-24-2002, 02:50 AM
Here's one more vote for the linoleum approach -- sorry we didn't think of that before ordering ours!

07-24-2002, 11:52 AM
I also vote for the linoleum.  We did not order our TM from the factory, so we got the standard carpet, and it is a pain with the kids and dogs and inevitable dirt that gets tracked in while enjoying the great outdoors.  Being able to dry sweep and then mop the floor would be a real blessing.  (Who are these designers who put the nearly white, solid color carpet in the latest big rigs?  Childless??  Clueless??)

Anyway, and unfortunately, you're in for a real job replacing the carpet.  Not an easy task.  I've looked under the edges of mine and also questioned the factory about how it was put down when I was there.

The linoleum is only where it needs to be, and is glued down to the top aluminum floor skin.  There is no linoleum, only aluminum skin under the carpet.  The carpet has no padding and is also directly glued down to the aluminum skin.  The carpet edge strips are nailed and glued to the skin.

So when the carpet is painfully torn and scraped up, (in pieces I imagine), the glue will be left behind and the exposed skin remaining will not be at the same height as the existing linoleum.  Therefore, the existing linoleum should be taken up, (and it will have to be cut away from the cabinets it runs under), with the same slow going scraping involved, before fitting and installing new flooring.  I had concerns that any new linoleum installed this way, since it will not go under the cabinets, may curl unless a piece of quarter round molding is put around the perimeter.

Based on the size of this task, I've decided that when the current carpet gets worn, ugly and uncleanable, we'll just put down new carpet in those areas.  You still have to scrape it and most of the glue up, but that seems like an easier job then disturbing the existing linoleum and re-doing the whole floor.

Just my nickel's worth.  I hate to sound negative, but this is not as easy as replacing your carpeting at home which uses the "tackless strips".  I wish more RV manufacturers would skip the carpet and put in moppable surfaces.  Throw rugs where desired are so much more practical.

Let us know what you decide and encounter during the install.

07-25-2002, 03:13 PM
I replaced the carpet in the 1993 27/20 we had,carpet was faded by the sun.
 Went to a good carpet place and bought scrap left over from another job that fit the measurements that was a very good type material and matched the interier.
 Take up the moldings and strips between the different type floors and carefully start at a corner and pull up the carpet and pad.The old is stapled down and you can staple the new back down and get a perfect job by being careful and taking your time.The carpet we put back down was short nap and thick without padding,kind of a hard foam backing and it was better than orignal.We carpeted the intire floor to make it warmer,but we are an elderly couple and was careful not to spill things. We were both overjoyed with the results. :) :)

Happytrails
07-26-2002, 11:41 AM
Actually, the carpet in mine looks NEW! Not one single stain, not one single cig burn, not ANY fading or mildew. I do have a steam cleaner and went over it for good measure, but didn't do anything for it much.....tho water did look a bit dirty coming out. My WHOLE TM is carpeted, unlike the newer ones......Bathroom is only place w/o carpet, and that's becase it has a drain in the middle of the floor! (Wet bathroom, no tub). I'm a barefoot kinda guy having spent 8 years in the US Infantry, with feet confined to LPC's. (Leather Personel Carriers) :D..........So the carpeting is more appealing for me....(Hey Red, an acronym not related to the internet for once) ;)....I'm wondering if simply putting down new carpet over the old, and gaining a little extra padding would be possible? Any thoughts out there?

Nec Aspera Terrant (Latin for "no fear on earth", but adopted by my old active duty battalion as meaning "Fear no difficulties") Words inscribed on our unit insignia..........and words to live by....... ;)

Happytrails............

07-26-2002, 04:46 PM
Thank you Happy T.... you know  me too well. :)
:-[...I won''t even ask what a "leather personnel carrier" is...

Red.

07-28-2002, 12:31 AM
I replaced the carpet in the 1993 27/20 we had,carpet was faded by the sun.
Went to a good carpet place and bought scrap left over from another job that fit the measurements that was a very good type material and matched the interier.
Take up the moldings and strips between the different type floors and carefully start at a corner and pull up the carpet and pad.The old is stapled down and you can staple the new back down and get a perfect job by being careful and taking your time.The carpet we put back down was short nap and thick without padding,kind of a hard foam backing and it was better than orignal.We carpeted the intire floor to make it warmer,but we are an elderly couple and was careful not to spill things. We were both overjoyed with the results. :) :)

jelgan, you don't have a slide model do you?  My concern is how to pull out the carpet in the area below the slide out.  There is a rubber flap that runs along the edge of the slide out.  The the bracket holding the flap, seems to be the same bracket that hold the carpet down on the slide.  I don't wan to have any problems reinstalling this seal if I pry off the bracket.

Dave

07-28-2002, 01:13 AM
Dave:
 I'm sorry I'm not familier with the slide models,guess the best bet would to talk to the factory rep on how the slide seal is removed or if its possible to remove and replace it.Surely they thought of maintenance and not  profit completely,altho I have been disappointed lately on the American pride of doing a good job and doing it right.You can see I'm from the older generation.  Ha
                         Jim   E.

Bill
08-08-2002, 10:15 AM
Just FYI, in my unit, the carpet in the big floor area just aft of the slide is not glued down. There is a foam pad laid down on the aluminum skin, and carpet laid down on the pad, and the whole thing secured at the edges. Since this is the carpet that really looks grubby in ours, this is the piece I would like to remove. It should be very easy. I will probably replace it with vinyl tiles, in a pattern that my wife feels is "complementary" to the existing linoleum in the kitchen. Or maybe the factory can supply a piece of the same linoleum.

I can't speak to the installation of the carpet on the slide (in front of the couch), or for the carpet outside the bathroom. But these are smaller and are staying pretty clean, so I will probably just leave them in place.

Bill